Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A Thought...

pod

I was doing some reading online about Larry Levan and The Paradise Garage (I wanted to know what inspired Danny..) and one of the funny features of The Garage that struck me was it's members-only policy...

Would a members-only club work in Miami? Say it had a good resident, and if you were a member, there was no dresscode necessary....but in order to be a member you had to be 'sponsored' by an existing member....

I'm sure it would 'work', but what would the reaction be? Especially if membership didn't follow lines of wealth and power?

I don't necessarily support the idea of a members only joint, but some aspects have merits to it....

paradise garage was before my time. some of my friends; who are from that era. have told me, that part of paradise’s appeal, was the diversity of its crowd. in fact, it was one of the few clubs in new york, at that time, which gave minorities a place to socialize. as the club grew in popularity, it started to attract some of the elite crowd. paradise maintained the image of treating, all of it’s patrons the same. with reference to a members only club in miami. the miami clubs are snobbish enough, as it is. having a members only club, would just personify the velvet rope image, miami clubs already have. I could not envision, any self respecting dj, spinning in a members only club. dance music, is meant to appeal to the masses. putting the music into an elite status; such as a members only club; would be a daunting proposition. the very last thing, miami needs, is a member’s only nightclub..

peace, sobeton

I agree, I defenitely don't think a member's only club down here would help the cause, it'll just add "fuel" to the fire and be a complete mess. The whole thing could get alittle tricky, sure I think that'll have it's pro's (like no dresscode) but it will defenitely add to some con's (profound image that Miami club's already have and yes, the lovely snobbish attitude). That was the garage, and it sure as hell wasn't here in Miami. Could you imagine should a members only club open down here? eeekkk!

Actually it could easily work, but with one big caveot.

It would have to model it self after some of the after hours or swinger clubs.

i.e no alcohol would be sold, but you would be allowed to byob and keep it behind the bar. Of course set ups would be supplied.

That would allow you to close when ever you wanted, you wouldn't need a liquor license and thus the cost and headaches that go allong with one.

Obviously the sponsor thing would have to be relaxed until it really got rolling (so to speak)

I think it would have the best chance marketing itself as an afterhours place first, then slowly expand the hours as it became more popular.

Plus that would make it easier to get a quality DJ(s)

sign me up pod. :)

The only way it would work is if I opened it :). I'd sign you all up and tell you to find 4 cool people each :). It'd be like our clubhouse except there'd be no "no girls they have cooties" sign outside.

Come to think of it, a lot of VIP areas down here are just the adult version of treehouses...