Clubplanet Nightlife Community

***limelight Hearing***

I was there from about 10:10 this morning until about 1/2 hour ago, just got in to work. There is an incredibly vocal minority in the Limelight neighborhood, vowing that the Limelight venue is "only the beginning."

While I did not get to speak at the hearing, I did get to listen to many persons against, and a few for, what ought to be, essentially, a non-issue. The issue at the hearing today was to consider the 500' law, meaning that any establishment seeking an on-site liquor license must prove it will exist in the public interest if it stands within 500' (or less) of 3 other licensed establishments.

Those in support were quiet and well mannered during the proceedings, while those in opposition of Limelight, and Mr. Blair personally, were wont to laughing loudly and hissing at points made by the attorneys for the applicant. Further, as they made their empassioned pleas to be saved from the wretched refuse that makes up the clubbing population, repeated derisive reference was made to "hip-hop parties," Justin's, and occurrences that happened 6 or more years ago at Limelight and Vertigo. To my perception, this was nothing more than thinly veiled racism, repeating over and over how the hip-hop parties "and all of these drunk gun-wielding crazies" roaming the streets threatened the tranquility and sanctity of their urban kingdoms.

It was then implied by one dissenting individual that if John Blair wants to turn Limelight into a gay-oriented venue, well, by god, the gays have XL and Heaven, and Splash all nearby, isn't that enough? And why don't they all go party in their own neighborhood?!? (**NOT HIS ACTUAL WORDS**) I did manage to stifle a coughing fit at this one, considering Limelight is in the heart of Chelsea, the gay center of New York City!

After the 9th of 4 dissenting testimonies, the judge FINALLY called a halt to that farce and allowed 5 persons to speak on behalf of John Blair and the Limelight. While only the last person touched on any terribly relevant points, 3 of them were eloquent and represented themselves and the nightlife cause well.

With all of the slamming of Limelight all around, the Blair camp ensuring that Gatien's presence is exorcised and the dissent saying one is as bad as the next, I was reminded of a common expression in my field; past performance is not indicative of future results. Let Blair's record stand, not Limelight's. He has shown himself to be reasonable, responsible, and profitable as owner of XL, an interested party in Roxy, owner of John Blair's Restaurant, a success with his health clubs... why not afford him the opportunity to prove yet again how, under his management, a local venue can indeed be in the public interest, even when the vocal minority need to be convinced of it.

All in all, it was (for me) a very costly day of sitting around, but I'd not have rather spent it anywhere else.

ichi :rainbow:

It was a public hearing, no decision is reached today. Both sides present arguments and testimony, then there is time for public input... and then it goes up to the big cheeses in Albany who make the decision.

Technically, this meeting SHOULD end up being a non-issue; the existing Limelight on-premises license SHOULD be transferred. In case it is not (and that's a long story in and of itself) Flatiron Entertainment wanted to cover its bases. A wise move, considering what is at stake.

The plot sickens...

ichi.

(btw: watch fox5 news and check me out in grey suit, white shirt, blue tie sittin' behind John abd Beto... or see me in the papers!)

Ichi~

Thanks for the run-down, much appreciated. You said that during the post-hearing period there will a time for public opinion to be put in before the decision is reached. Do you know who we would need to contact to say, write letters of support for Blair and the Limelight? And do you know when the decision will be made? I'd love to do something to help out but being several hours away at school I'm limited to letters, emails and phone calls. Thanxxx :)

Originally posted by ichi_gami

I was there from about 10:10 this morning until about 1/2 hour ago, just got in to work. There is an incredibly vocal minority in the Limelight neighborhood, vowing that the Limelight venue is "only the beginning."

While I did not get to speak at the hearing, I did get to listen to many persons against, and a few for, what ought to be, essentially, a non-issue. The issue at the hearing today was to consider the 500' law, meaning that any establishment seeking an on-site liquor license must prove it will exist in the public interest if it stands within 500' (or less) of 3 other licensed establishments.

Those in support were quiet and well mannered during the proceedings, while those in opposition of Limelight, and Mr. Blair personally, were wont to laughing loudly and hissing at points made by the attorneys for the applicant. Further, as they made their empassioned pleas to be saved from the wretched refuse that makes up the clubbing population, repeated derisive reference was made to "hip-hop parties," Justin's, and occurrences that happened 6 or more years ago at Limelight and Vertigo. To my perception, this was nothing more than thinly veiled racism, repeating over and over how the hip-hop parties "and all of these drunk gun-wielding crazies" roaming the streets threatened the tranquility and sanctity of their urban kingdoms.

It was then implied by one dissenting individual that if John Blair wants to turn Limelight into a gay-oriented venue, well, by god, the gays have XL and Heaven, and Splash all nearby, isn't that enough? And why don't they all go party in their own neighborhood?!? (**NOT HIS ACTUAL WORDS**) I did manage to stifle a coughing fit at this one, considering Limelight is in the heart of Chelsea, the gay center of New York City!

After the 9th of 4 dissenting testimonies, the judge FINALLY called a halt to that farce and allowed 5 persons to speak on behalf of John Blair and the Limelight. While only the last person touched on any terribly relevant points, 3 of them were eloquent and represented themselves and the nightlife cause well.

With all of the slamming of Limelight all around, the Blair camp ensuring that Gatien's presence is exorcised and the dissent saying one is as bad as the next, I was reminded of a common expression in my field; past performance is not indicative of future results. Let Blair's record stand, not Limelight's. He has shown himself to be reasonable, responsible, and profitable as owner of XL, an interested party in Roxy, owner of John Blair's Restaurant, a success with his health clubs... why not afford him the opportunity to prove yet again how, under his management, a local venue can indeed be in the public interest, even when the vocal minority need to be convinced of it.

All in all, it was (for me) a very costly day of sitting around, but I'd not have rather spent it anywhere else.

A true gentleman and scholar. Kudos.

jsc

;)

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Ichi~

Thanks for the run-down, much appreciated. You said that during the post-hearing period there will a time for public opinion to be put in before the decision is reached. Do you know who we would need to contact to say, write letters of support for Blair and the Limelight? And do you know when the decision will be made? I'd love to do something to help out but being several hours away at school I'm limited to letters, emails and phone calls. Thanxxx :)

It is my understanding that there is still time to submit a show of support, as all supporting documents must be delivered to the SLA by the 13th of the month. Don't quote me on that, but you might do well to contact the people in the know through www.jblair.com

how many drink tickets did they give you for your time?

:blown: :blown: :blown:

bumpin it for those on vipguestlist who think Tha Man be keepin secrets from them... old news, kids, old news.

lol what are you talkin about? I posted this on VIP the other day but not nearly as much as you did sweetheart~

I do know that they said there will not be a decision made for another 4 to 6 weeks. That was according the NYPost. We need to keep on top of this though b/c this is a serious matter. The people who reside in the Limelight area don't quite believe Blair and his promises. They doubt the *zero drug tolerance*, higher security, sound proofing and Off Broadway Theatre if Im not mistaken. They claim that the promises were made in the past and never carried through.

Thanks for your info ichi. Also, thank you for going. I myself would have but had no more days available to miss work to support the club!

~misskittie~kAt~

Next Thursday we have our final Community Board 5 hearing on Limelight. The Community Board meeting, if you can join in, is at 227 West 27th Street, 8th Floor (It's called Building A and it's at 8th Avenue and 27th Street). It will be NEXT Thursday, September 13 starting a 6 and we expect to get out by 8 p.m.

This is the community board that determines if they will stand firm with their NIMBY policy, or hear those of us who are responsible clubgoers and determine that we really AREN'T monstrous creatures of the dark.

If you can make the meeting, please RSVP with Dirk McCall at (212)822-2286