Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I was in NYC this weekend...

sgtfury

I was in NYC this weekend and i can truthfully say that it was probably the most emotional event of my life. As some on the board may know, i grew up in NYC. Driving in from New Jersey, I stopped at the edge of the hudson river facing manhattan on the jersey side...it was twilight and many people were gathered to look at the skyline...the downtown area was darkened with the exception of the lighting from the rescue workers....as i drove into the city, the once busy time square area was very quiet. I walked down to washington square park and on almost every street corner there were hundreds of papers on the walls asking for help finding lost family members....at some point, off 14th street i passed a fire station that had apparently lost many of its crew...there were so many flowers and candles out front...in washington square park there is a huge memorial for all that died....the outpouring of sentiment was overwhelming for me...the two saddest things that I saw at the washington square memorial were...some family members had put in front of some of the candles some children's toys and drawings from school--the children had died in the world trade center child care...and next to this was a paper with a picture of young man...he was a NYPD that had been on the force for 3 months...the man in the picture's birthday was a week from mine...his family was asking if anyone had seen him or had seen his body to please contact them...the last thing that they said on the paper was "god bless america"..

the last sign i saw as i left the park said..."NYC--truly the toughest city in the world"

to watch all of this on tv has been devastating...to actually be there has been a experience that will stay with me forever...this is where i grew up, this is my home. America is forever changed. NYC is forever changed, however, has not given up...as indestructable as the american spirit itself.