Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Need some help, guys!

ryno

(Sorry for the long post) Ok everybody. I know I've messaging about this a lot lately, but I honestly am having trouble picking a place because I haven't been out to D.C. in a while. So please HELP! icon24.gif

My friend is coming up from Tampa and we are looking to go out on Friday night. We prefer a place that has a young, big crowd and is large enough so we're not packed in uncomfortably. We aren't looking for a rave, but a club that plays house/techno somewhere inside and doesn't have a lot of troublemakers, thugs, or drug pushers running around. When I say house/techno I'm thinking: Stardust - Music Sounds Better, ATB - Let U Go, Thrillseekers - Synaethesia, etc. Also hoping for a place that is 21+, but 18 and up is ok.

Based on that, here are the places I've come up with:

• Red: too small; has good music from what I hear
  • Platinum: heard it's not as good as it used to be (don't really know); sometimes plays cheese i.e. Z104 crap; 18 +
  • The Spot: don't know much about it; Louie DeVito NYC Underground CD Release Party that night; co-worker told me it's "a club for the brothers" (don't know what he meant by that)
  • Club Heaven: went a year ago and was good; don't know how popular it is now; don't know what music is played
  • Andalu/Sesto Senso: plays house?; small; don't know about what type/number people go there
  • Lulu's: Went on a Friday awhile ago and the DJ sucked; don't know if it has changed though
  • Zei Club: plays techno; don't know about what type/number people go there

So which one of these would be the best to go to? Again, I'm kinda outta touch with the D.C. nightlife, but I've heard stuff and read about places online. Don't want to go to Buzz or Insomnia that night (just not my kinda place), nor 5 (gonna be there Sat. night). I'm just trying to avoid showing my friend a bad time plus paying 50+ dollars in cover hopping from place to place. No, I'm usually not like this.....yeeeahhh. Man, I can't wait until the weekend! :drunk:

If anybody can help please respond or PM me!

Thanks,

Ryno

color_.gif

• Red: too small; has good music from what I hear
    does have good music, at least on thurs and sun's, but yeah, very small

• Platinum: heard it's not as good as it used to be (don't really know); sometimes plays cheese i.e. Z104 crap; 18 +
    i've heard the same, i believe it's only 18+ on thurs, 21+ the rest of the time but i could be wrong

• The Spot: don't know much about it; Louie DeVito NYC Underground CD Release Party that night; co-worker told me it's "a club for the brothers" (don't know what he meant by that)
    mmm, it's a big space lots of different floors, one floor for house, but that floor is not big enough, i felt claustrophobic. your co-worker was prolly referring to the mass of people who are there primarily for the hiphop music

• Club Heaven: went a year ago and was good; don't know how popular it is now; don't know what music is played
    crowd stinks, sat's are not bad, but it's sketchy

• Andalu/Sesto Senso: plays house?; small; don't know about what type/number people go there
    not sure, heard it's small and an international crowd

• Lulu's: Went on a Friday awhile ago and the DJ sucked; don't know if it has changed though
    no no no no - you don't want to go there

• Zei Club: plays techno; don't know about what type/number people go there
    ew, i wouldn't recommend, packed, full of thugs

considering all your comments, there aren't really any great options i can think of. i guess the closest would be platinum - big space, house music, less of a thug crowd than some of the others. this is like choosing the lesser b/t 2 evils....

hope this helps

:)

you've basically eliminated all good and/or decent and/or big club in DC either because you dont want to go there (Buzz) its to small (Red), because it sucked (Lulu's), beacuse of $$$, or because its to ravery (the Edge).

If your into going to a place where (I am told as I havent been there in a VERY long time-over 2 years) there are lots n' lots of girls then The Spot is the place to go, but it wont be a guarantee of a good time nor good music, or vibe...

My advice: Buzz, its the best DC has to offer on Friday's.

But dont worry about your friend from Tampa, any place in DC is better than any in Tampa, I lived there for 3 years and just couldnt wait to leave. I mean you can only have so much BAR of Tampa, and to make things worse they closed down the best club they had there (the Edge), and XS reeked, but still: Go Bucs!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I figured it would prolly be between Platinum and The Spot. I know I was being REAL nit-picky about the place, but my friend said he wanted to go to a big club that plays techno, and that's the two I thought of.

The reason why I don't want to go to Buzz is because of what I heard about it. A bunch of people said that it was in a real bad part of town, so I checked the location and it said SE DC. They told me it's not the kind of area you want to be on the Metro and walking in late at night. I know it's only the reputation but I still don't want to chance it with my friend being up here. Plus, I also heard that there is a sketchy element there (of course not you guys :)). Basically people who are thugs or rolling or tripping. I heard it does have awesome music, but is more of a rave than a club. This is just want I've been told. I'm not knockin Buzz at all, though.

BTW, just so you know my music tastes, the newest CD I've purchased is Trance Nation America: Volume Two and it blew me away!

vicman - I don't know man. I was in Tampa in May and my friend took me to the Amphitheater in Ybor City. That is by far the BEST club I've ever been to. 30-foot rotating dance floor!

Thanks again to you guys for replying so quick. I would go to Buzz but I've heard bad things, man....bad things.

You guys rock!

Ryno

Originally posted by ryno

Plus, I also heard that there is a sketchy element there (of course not you guys :)). Basically people who are ... rolling or tripping.

Of course none of us add to that element! Perish the thought! We all practice clean livin'. I personally stay away from all that stuff. :smile2: That shit is so bad for your brain. Nope. It's all about smokin' the crack and hittin' the smack! Crack & Smack, now that's good clean fun with no drain bamage. :D;)

Of course none of us add to that element! Perish the thought! We all practice clean livin'. I personally stay away from all that stuff.

That's not always an either/or question

Ha, ha! You guys are crazy! I don't have anything against that stuff, just a personal preference that I try to stay away from it. God know I've done my share back in the day! My friend told me about the time he trolled and said it was the most surreal experience he's ever had. Only did it once though cause it kinda freaked him out.

Ryno,

you really dont have to worry about the "sketchy" element in SE DC, hell female friends of mine ride the metro to that part of town on Friday or Saturday nights by themselves when we go to Nation of The Edge.

There are worse parts of SE DC, like across the river. I mean if you cross I-4 in Tampa where Ybor is, that area is even more sketchy than here, and they do have a parking lot to park your car, which would be the main of my concerns when I go there.

And on al the "stuff" that goes on, its really almost nothing. I think pretty much everyone on this board has seen more stuff going on in other places (like Twilo or other clubs) than what goes on in Nation.

Originally posted by vicman

And on al the "stuff" that goes on, its really almost nothing. I think pretty much everyone on this board has seen more stuff going on in other places (like Twilo or other clubs) than what goes on in Nation.

That's true. I guess some stuff goes on that I miss or that gets covered up really quick, and like any place they get their share of kids who are getting too fucked up, but for the most part Buzz seems to do all right. I guess there are fights at Buzz sometimes, but I've never seen one whereas I saw a couple at Twilo (which I still can't understand cuz I was always having the greatest time and fighting was the furtherst thing from my mind). The raver crowd at Buzz is very friendly, too, even if the rave thing isn't to everyone's liking. There's a good number of just "clubbers" (or whatever you want to call them) there too aside from the ravers. And Danny Howells!

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Of course none of us add to that element! Perish the thought! We all practice clean livin'. I personally stay away from all that stuff. :smile2: That shit is so bad for your brain. Nope. It's all about smokin' the crack and hittin' the smack! Crack & Smack, now that's good clean fun with no drain bamage. :D;)

Ahahahahahaha! Ow! Ow! Stop shady - I'm laughing too hard!

*takes another toke*

Are you guys trying to brainwash me? Must...resist...Buzz....arrrggh! :)

Originally posted by vicman:

you really dont have to worry about the "sketchy" element in SE DC, hell female friends of mine ride the metro to that part of town on Friday or Saturday nights by themselves when we go to Nation of The Edge...There are worse parts of SE DC, like across the river.

Looks like Buzz isn't as bad as I thought. I thought it was on the other side of the river. If ladies can ride the Metro to that area alone, so can I!

Originally posted by Kuro:

I guess there are fights at Buzz sometimes, but I've never seen one

I hate that. That's the kinda stuff I don't want to be around. A friend of mine told me she knew a couple of guys that accidentally hit on another dude's girlfriend. The dude freaked out and him and his friends beat the sh*t outta these two guys. Put em in the hospital. Not cool.

Originally posted by Kuro:

The raver crowd at Buzz is very friendly, too, even if the rave thing isn't to everyone's liking. There's a good number of just "clubbers" (or whatever you want to call them) there too aside from the ravers.

I didn't know there were the more traditional "clubbers" that show up there. I wasn't bothered by the fact that there are ravers there, I guess I was worried about standing out too much.

Thanks for filling me in. I know I was prolly naive on a lot of what Buzz is about, but now my opinion is different. I trust what you guys say cause you're at Buzz every week! :D Maybe I'll join a meetup sometime, if that's cool.

Originally posted by Kuro

The raver crowd at Buzz is very friendly, too, even if the rave thing isn't to everyone's liking. There's a good number of just "clubbers" (or whatever you want to call them) there too aside from the ravers. And Danny Howells!

Yeah, very friendly. Until you try to feed 'em. Just be wary of the 'Don't feed the raver' signs posted around the club. They'll bite your hand off if you get too close. They say they're all about love and try to give you a hug, but really they're just trying to get close so they can jack your wallet and steal your cash for that next piece of crackrock.

And those damn clubbers. They'll do anything for another hit of heroin. But if you're short on cash, you can always sell them a packet of sugar for $50 cause those clubbers don't know any better anyway. They're not true heroin addicts, they just do it cause it's fashionable. But they'll get off your back if you throw them something powdery. Just be careful, though, cause everyone knows when you try to melt sugar, it turns to caramel. And caramel hurts when you inject it.

Oh, and always keep your shoes on, cause the smackers aren't too courteous in their wacked out state, and they tend to leave their needles lying around everywhere. Especially in the middle of the dance floor. I got pricked by one that had a little smack residue. I got an incredible high, but now I'm writing this post from rehab.

So you can see, Ryno, nothing to worry about as long as you know the rules of the game. A completely safe and happy place. ;):D :D

LOL @ Shady! Yeah, yeah...guess I deserved that. I knew I wasn't gonna avoid getting my chops busted stating the rumours I heard about Buzz. But knowing is better than not knowing right? :D Guess the only way I'll really know is to see for myself. Before I go I guess I'll have to find that crack pipe. ;)

Originally posted by ryno

Before I go I guess I'll have to find that crack pipe. ;)

Don't worry. I've always got an extra one. If I get my request for leave from rehab approved, I'll bring a pipe for ya. Just look for me wacked out in the corner with the belt tied around my arm. :D

And I'm not bustin' your chops. Just havin' some fun. I'm pretty sure everyone is a little sketched out to go to Buzz for the first time. But then you go in, and smoke the crack, and everything's cool. ;)

And you have to watch yourself when you go into the bathroom, wacked up sh*t goes on there. You here all the moaning and groaning sounds frombehind the stalls and stuff and then you see like 8 legs in one stall or somethin'

Also, dont think that because your a guy your safe, when you least expect it, women grab your ass and stuff and manhandle you...talk about keeping you hands to yourself....and no security at all, you could sneak in with a AK-47 or a machete if you wanted to..

:D :D :D :D

Originally posted by vicman

And you have to watch yourself when you go into the bathroom, wacked up sh*t goes on there. You here all the moaning and groaning sounds frombehind the stalls and stuff and then you see like 8 legs in one stall or somethin'

Also, dont think that because your a guy your safe, when you least expect it, women grab your ass and stuff and manhandle you...talk about keeping you hands to yourself....

Now THAT'S something I wouldn't mind at all. ;)

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Just look for me wacked out in the corner with the belt tied around my arm.

Cool, man. I'll bring the syringes too. :D

why dont you check out zei club on fridays at 3am...panorama takes over zei at 3 and begins TRANCE EXPRESS ft. GLOW resident dj pete moutso. It should be pretty phat, and it goes till about 6am...just like GLOW used to be at ZEI...afterhours...