Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYU Applicant

Ok...I'm a high school clubbing senior and have something a little off topic that I need to discuss. I have a 1320 SAT, pretty good SAT IIs, a 97 GPA and am applying early to NYU. First off, if you're already attending NYU please shed some light on the school and whether or not you think I'll get in. Please raise my self-esteem just a tad...i'm stressed.

Originally posted by darcoleo

Ok...I'm a high school clubbing senior and have something a little off topic that I need to discuss. I have a 1320 SAT, pretty good SAT IIs, a 97 GPA and am applying early to NYU. First off, if you're already attending NYU please shed some light on the school and whether or not you think I'll get in. Please raise my self-esteem just a tad...i'm stressed.

what college are you applying to?

bitch, hes probably applying to cas

well if he is

:)

uh it all depends...nyu doesnt give interviews unlike other colleges. the process became REALLY picky...it went from being my safety school to a school that i didn't know if i'd get in or not. my year had over 30,000 + applicants and i heard this year's class had 35. at orientation, they told us that most of us came from the top 15% of our class and our avg sats were 1370...but remember, SATs DO NOT MATTER (i've come to that conclusion after seeing where my friends ended up at college...)

credentials are good, but they are also looking for well-rounded students. do you participate in activities and sports? they want kids who aren't just "smart" but do things.

at least thats IMO...if u looking for business talk to piggy bitch, he knows more about that than me :)

Originally posted by lillizzy

bitch, hes probably applying to cas

well if he is

uh it all depends...nyu doesnt give interviews unlike other colleges. the process became REALLY picky...it went from being my safety school to a school that i didn't know if i'd get in or not. my year had over 30,000 + applicants and i heard this year's class had 35. at orientation, they told us that most of us came from the top 15% of our class and our avg sats were 1370...but remember, SATs DO NOT MATTER (i've come to that conclusion after seeing where my friends ended up at college...)

credentials are good, but they are also looking for well-rounded students. do you participate in activities and sports? they want kids who aren't just "smart" but do things.

at least thats IMO...if u looking for business talk to piggy bitch, he knows more about that than me :)

yea she's right.. extracurricular goes a long long way..

i played three sports in high school, was in honor society, class competition, athletes helping athletes etc..

sports are huge on applications if you do well too, b/c they know your balancing your time well b/c sports are teh most time intensive EC's..

since lil slut took care of CAS, i'll handle Stern.. 1410 avg SAT this year.. high math is obviously key and weighted more in the admissions process.. Stern undergrad is #2 in the country for business behind Wharton, and #'s 8 and 10 in the country and world, respecitvely, for Grad schol and still ascending every year...

the dean of the las school is becoming teh new president this year and considering he brought the Law school to #2 in the country behind Yale, i imagine the school overall will just climb higher and higher..

Originally posted by PFloyd40

since lil slut took care of CAS, i'll handle Stern.. ..

:jawdrop:

anyway, if youre trying to get into stern or law directly, it could be a pain in the ass (although with your GPA its not liekly). the people from my high school that got into NYU applied to CAS first, then planned to transfer into Stern after 1 or 2 years

most of them had good grades, but couldnt get into stern directly

Wow!!!! NYU application process must have gotten to be piss competitive. When I was applying to colleges, NYU's average SAT was around 1200 (This was 7 years ago). I did read an article in U.S. News and World Reports that college has really gotten much, much more competitive to get in. I didn't realize that its gotten this ridiculous.

I went to Unversity of Chicago for undergrad and Yale for gradschool. Man, I think I'd be one of the dummest people at both of these schools if I was actually enrolled in there today!!!

As a result of the competition getting more competitive, I think extracurricular activities definitely plays a big role. However, I think that ingenuity definitely will carry you a lot further. Stress stuff that you have done that many other people haven't taken part in. Write your essays describing these experiences. You gotta really differentiate yourself.

Anyways, good luck on getting into NYU!!

Yeah I'm applying to Stern and my activities are pretty well-rounded (School Play, Key Club, Italian Club, Honor Society, Long Island Developmental Center {Don't Ask}). My math scores were pretty dismal however - 660 Math I and 680 Math SAT. Their up there but not perfect. My grades are top notch - really I just would like a confidence booster right now. Stressed! ::confused:

Its insanely competitive but here's a golden tip - apply to EDU. Its the easiest to get into (not easy, but easiest) and then transfer. Also, early decision is a tiny bit less competitive. Worst case - apply for SUMMER - i know tons of ppl who did that , and yea you can actually get admitted for summer session and then just continue.

Also the essays are KEY - be ridculously fucking creative and totally original.....something JUST a bit over the top (to stand out from almost 40k others!) but not too wacky...just be clever and totally creative.....When tons of ppl have 4.1 averages and 7908432 activities and awards....its the essays that will really determine the final cut.

The earlier you send your stuff in the better, too.....And you can have an interview ( I did!) however that was 4 years ago as well :)

Good luck. I still remember the day i got my acceptance letter in the mail......still framed up on my wall.....Getting your diploma will be one of the most amazing moments of your life!

Oh and to the last poster :) DEF learn the difference between THEIR and THERE and THEY'RE :) key! muah!

Originally posted by MissDiva

its an on going "oy vey" joke......

board vs bored (yes, its true!)

won vs one

too vs two

the list goes on and on.......i just dont get it.......typos and fast typing , i can understand little mistakes but COME ON :)

sorry just had to vent!! LOL

it's vs. its

i would love to tell you everything is ok and give your ego a boost, but applying to college SUCKS it is the worst part of your teenage existence especially if you care about your life. just keep your fingers crossed, and here's a smooch for luck *kiss*, let us know what happens!!!

faith, trust and pixie dust

starr

i wouldnt be too concerned. your grades are AWESOME. that was to the first poster. like they said, activities COUNT.

to the stern applicant, dont WORRY about your math scores so much. you make me feel bad!! 680 math SAT I is NOT BAD. puleease! i had the same thing and i go to yale, hunny.

best book on college admissions is howard greene's scaling the ivy wall (or something like that). im from michigan. no one told me a damn thing about how to go about the app process, and i did very well. the book was my BIBLE for college admissions. key ideas are finding how you will enhance the student body and playing that up...and your hook. everyone needs a hook, a way in which they stand out. COLLEGE ADMISSIONS IS ALL ABOUT MARKETING. dont get lazy.

not that i should talk, actually...im a senior now and want to spend all my time dancing to junior vasquez when i should be marketing myself for a job. alas!

oh, usnews profile on NYU: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/dradmiss_2785.htm

god, im gonna sound like SUCH a parent when i add this post. forgive me in advance...

i just reread the first post, from the clubbing college senior.

be warned that if you dont live in new york, youre likely to get very very sucked in. so many fucking kids go to nyu to be in new york and not specifically for the school. hey, i was gonna do that--i spent all of high school working my ass off cuz i wanted to be at columbia. long story short: i hated columbia when i visited and chose a school on the metro north. im in new york almost every weekend partying my ass off and live there every summer (will move there permenantly in may when i graduate), but im glad im not in school in new york city.

for me at least, its nice to have my life in new york that i can jump in and out of. and on a wednesday night when i have a paper due the next day, im gonna actually do it (probably) and not be tempted by my friends to join them dancing to little louis vega or something.

just a thought. think seriously about why you want to be there.

again, sorry if i sound like mommy.

damn, im getting off this thread so i can write more about junior vasquez!

Originally posted by ctwarrior

it's vs. its

hahah, he's got you there... if you're gonna point things like that out... be prepared to be judged....

I was afraid that I'd make a mistake too... so it took me 10 minutes to write this one tiny post...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by maximman

hahah, he's got you there... if you're gonna point things like that out... be prepared to be judged....

I was afraid that I'd make a mistake too... so it took me 10 minutes to write this one tiny post...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Trust me dude. Its one of the most common mistakes in writing. It will definitely have an admission's officer be skeptical about your writing ability if you don't nail these sublties. If college is getting as competitive as people have posted on this board, you'd better get all this shit down!!

Not quite :) just to clarify: my post - "typos and fast typing , i can understand little mistakes but COME ON"...Typos + fast typing = little punctuation things (like not adding a period, comma and yes, an apostrophe) aren't in the same league as throwing in an entirely different word :)

We all type a billion words a minute online and on informal boards - so those minor things can and are pretty much always excused. (In essays, clearly you wouldn't overlook ANYTHING!) However THEIR/THERE - WON/ONE - and entirely different spelling and word - you have to have missed some serious elementary school at that point.....

muah :)

Not quite :) just to clarify: my post - "typos and fast typing , i can understand little mistakes but COME ON"...Typos + fast typing = little punctuation things (like not adding a period, comma and yes, an apostrophe) aren't in the same league as throwing in an entirely different word :)

We all type a billion words a minute online and on informal boards - so those minor things can and are pretty much always excused. (In essays, clearly you wouldn't overlook ANYTHING!) However THEIR/THERE - WON/ONE - and entirely different spelling and word - you have to have missed some serious elementary school at that point.....

muah :)

you left out the MOST frequent, your and you're OMG!!!!!!!!

girls just love when you correct their grammar.. and you already come pre-programmed! j/k It's just rare to find someone that GETS IT.

Thank you

lol, YOU'RE right :)

But - OMG I think of as "lol" - just shorthand online slang. It does get annoying but it's also annoying to type every single word out :)

<--stoned :)

that's ok sweetie, I wasn't talking about the "OMG" just the your and you're, which you got right. gold star for MD.

hey baby, puff, puff, pass!!

Having been there for a while I can tell you one thing, you do have a chance. I now take graduate classes there. My honest opinion, Nyu was one of the biggest wastes of money I have ever experienced. The idea of college is not to get your ego in the way and go somewhere for a certain reason, not because of reputation. NYU claims to be so diverse when it is as generic as Ohio state. Just because people walk around with spikes and purple hair doesn't make them diverse. Washington Sq is filled with so amny pathetic phonies. Of course I am posing a minority as a majority, but hey i get my point across. Only go if you get a scholarship, like I had, or if a company is paying for it. Sern school of business is so overrated, its just competative. Save your money and buy a porche instead. Perhaps start your own business.

Originally posted by blowflyii

Having been there for a while I can tell you one thing, you do have a chance. I now take graduate classes there. My honest opinion, Nyu was one of the biggest wastes of money I have ever experienced. The idea of college is not to get your ego in the way and go somewhere for a certain reason, not because of reputation. NYU claims to be so diverse when it is as generic as Ohio state. Just because people walk around with spikes and purple hair doesn't make them diverse. Washington Sq is filled with so amny pathetic phonies. Of course I am posing a minority as a majority, but hey i get my point across. Only go if you get a scholarship, like I had, or if a company is paying for it. Sern school of business is so overrated, its just competative. Save your money and buy a porche instead. Perhaps start your own business.

what program are you in?

theres a reason the school is competitive.. to say its overrated and just competitive is ignorant..

iewwwwww stern lol

you sternies have ur own lil world

no seriosly apply to stern straight off...your gpa from high school and your gpa in college are SO DIFFERENT...who knows, it could drop, and you wouldn't be able to transfer into another school...which does suck, b/c i know it's happened to people.

the only thing about the education program is u have to go in already declaring a major. which is semi-fucked up, but oh well. you lose out on ur map (required) classes...CAS has the most requirements (fucking anthro lab this morning) but Stern keeps dropping them...which is good.

but then theres the stern curve...ask piggy the prostitute fuck about that :)

how those librarians at bobst treatinya??? i got a nice warm kitchen floor for ya...

Originally posted by lillizzy

iewwwwww stern lol

you sternies have ur own lil world

no seriosly apply to stern straight off...your gpa from high school and your gpa in college are SO DIFFERENT...who knows, it could drop, and you wouldn't be able to transfer into another school...which does suck, b/c i know it's happened to people.

the only thing about the education program is u have to go in already declaring a major. which is semi-fucked up, but oh well. you lose out on ur map (required) classes...CAS has the most requirements (fucking anthro lab this morning) but Stern keeps dropping them...which is good.

but then theres the stern curve...ask piggy the prostitute fuck about that :)

how those librarians at bobst treatinya??? i got a nice warm kitchen floor for ya...

floor?

hahahaha.. you know i boot your ass and sleep on the bed

Stern Curve:

top 20% of class- A, A-

following 40%- B+, B

Remaining 40%- B- and below

Originally posted by PFloyd40

floor?

hahahaha.. you know i boot your ass and sleep on the bed

Stern Curve:

top 20% of class- A, A-

following 40%- B+, B

Remaining 40%- B- and below

Definitely more generous in grading than my undergrad: University of Chicago!!!