Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Retro Metro Anyone?

Originally posted by Kermzy

No comparison!!! I've been to Retro Metro before & enjoyed myself but Saturday was terrible. Sorry Andrew, I've liked you before but something was way off on Saturday & I'm not the only one who thought that. Guess it was an off night!

Kermzy - I don't know you, but I agree with you. As for why it was off I can think of several reasons.

A) Producing a night based on music from the last 3 years creates a predictable night with no real surprises musically. In fact why not really go retro and do a night of 70's disco and funk? Oops I forgot Andy's collection only really goes back to that point on the dance music side , because before that he was primarily a hip hop DJ.

B) Andy and his friends were too busy thinking of ways to try and get me back for my criticisms of his music programming.

This included responding by:

1) Calling names.

2) Threatening to blackball me so that I could not work in NJ.

3) Making a judgement about my ability as a DJ based on my age, as if only DJ's under 30 know anything. Again any DJ I can think of as a "SUPER DJ" is over the age of 30.

4) Calling my house and leaving harassing messages. (Think hard about doing that some more, two words for you here: CRIMINAL PROSECUTION! Please, one of you or your friends do that, I would like nothing more than to be able to send the police to your door.)

4)Posting my personal info on this board.

Andy, has chosen this way of reponding to criticisms that were totally accurate.

I can only think that he has responded this way for one of two possibilities:

A) The criticisms were true and accurate. What I said must have hit so close to the core of the issue that Andy could not deal with it by responding in a thought out, rational response. People in general tend to react emotionally when an issue is close to them, and has a core of truth.

B) The criticisms were inaccurate, but Andy is so insecure as a DJ and as a person that he had to respond by lashing out with personal attacks. Instead of responding to the issue, his response was to get his friends and supporters to attack my: Age, weight, the fact that I wear glasses. All, as you can see very rational thought out responses, not!

Obviously these are the actions of a person worthy of all of our respect.

Please note that I have never called Andy names, I have never attacked him personally, nor would I.

I guess his energy would have been better spent preparing his set and making sure his crowd was having a good time.

PS Andy - This is not personal.

retro-try again!

There were like 3 songs from back in the day-I did hear a little nuvo but even those songs were not winning me over. Atoz does that stand for another zero trying to work the turntables because as a dj he does nothing to impress me.

Pretty much the music sucked! but hey thanks tTrikki I found myself quite loaded!

Originally posted by sin-sational

retro-try again!

There were like 3 songs from back in the day-I did hear a little nuvo but even those songs were not winning me over. Atoz does that stand for another zero trying to work the turntables because as a dj he does nothing to impress me.

Pretty much the music sucked! but hey thanks tTrikki I found myself quite loaded!

I don't know this person either. I would not want A to Z to think that I was creating a conspiracy of negative opinion about his DJing skills, ability, etc.

Maybe you should personally attack Sin-Sational for voicing her opinion.

Now when I again post the truth where is A to Z?

Andy what do you have to say for yourself and your actions. If I were you I would be embarassed.

If you can come out here on this board and say that any of my statements are untrue please deny them. You can't and won't.

Ummm...I dont really know who you are or where you spin, but it is clearly obvious that you ARE indeed attacking Andrew Mendez, because you have dropped his name in every post. If you want him to indeed leave you alone, than stop instigating.

TO KEYIES: That's true. I get very little work in NJ. I'm not embarrassed to admit that.

The primary reason being is that most of NJ doesn't really connect with what I play. However if you ever listened to one of my mixes, the tracks I picked have gotten play by the best and most respected DJ's worldwide.

The tracks are best heard and experienced in a rave setting, hence LARAVER as a screen name.

NJ is way too oriented towards hearing vocals. Ask any DJ who plays in NJ. If they can't sing along to it, they don't get it.

My sets fuse trance, acid, trance/nu skool breaks, techno, tribal beats and tech house. Not exactly vocal stuff for the most part.

Because of that, I choose to get booked primarily out of state, at events that are 2000 people and up. The other reasons for this are many and if you are part of the scene you are familiar with them.

When I am booked at other parties, getting paid is not a problem. Half the money has already been recieved before I even get on a plane. The plane tickets are pre-paid and someone usually picks me and drives me wherever I want or need to go for the time I am in that city.

When I arrive the crowds are primed, ready to experience something new and different, not the same stuff they hear on the radio every day and night. There is more music out there than KTU feeds the NY metro area 24-7

You can choose to like or dislike my style. You can criticise what I do as a DJ. I accept that as part of putting my stuff out there for public consumption. Any DJ who puts themselves out there should be ready for the same.

u dont get any work in NJ u retard.

the reason no one connect sto what u play is because i havent heard the chicken dance, the macarena and the electric slide since i went to that bar mitzvah u were supposed to dj. Iheard they even printed a flyer and put your name on it to make u feel like u are real club dj

Originally posted by laraver

TO KEYIES: That's true. I get very little work in NJ. I'm not embarrassed to admit that.

The primary reason being is that most of NJ doesn't really connect with what I play. However if you ever listened to one of my mixes, the tracks I picked have gotten play by the best and most respected DJ's worldwide.

The tracks are best heard and experienced in a rave setting, hence LARAVER as a screen name.

NJ is way too oriented towards hearing vocals. Ask any DJ who plays in NJ. If they can't sing along to it, they don't get it.

My sets fuse trance, acid, trance/nu skool breaks, techno, tribal beats and tech house. Not exactly vocal stuff for the most part.

Because of that, I choose to get booked primarily out of state, at events that are 2000 people and up. The other reasons for this are many and if you are part of the scene you are familiar with them.

When I am booked at other parties, getting paid is not a problem. Half the money has already been recieved before I even get on a plane. The plane tickets are pre-paid and someone usually picks me and drives me wherever I want or need to go for the time I am in that city.

When I arrive the crowds are primed, ready to experience something new and different, not the same stuff they hear on the radio every day and night. There is more music out there than KTU feeds the NY metro area 24-7

You can choose to like or dislike my style. You can criticise what I do as a DJ. I accept that as part of putting my stuff out there for public consumption. Any DJ who puts themselves out there should be ready for the same.

Fuck you mother fucker!!!

Who the fuck do you think you are, just because us new jerseyers like vocals we are not educated, you don't no shit,, diffrent people diffrent styles. Don't use the taste of new jerseyers for an excuse that nobody likes your music. Go spin your 12am-1am set at the raves for your little mouthbib sucking, glowstick playing, I do to many pills and dance like a fool 13 year old crowd. Ok raver boy

Originally posted by kostaP

u dont get any work in NJ u retard.

the reason no one connect sto what u play is because i havent heard the chicken dance, the macarena and the electric slide since i went to that bar mitzvah u were supposed to dj. Iheard they even printed a flyer and put your name on it to make u feel like u are real club dj

Kosta - You said you have one of my "cheesey mixes" right? Can you name anything that is on it?

Why don't you give me the track listing since you know so much about music?

Originally posted by laraver

How can we "chose to like or dislike your style" when we do not know your style first hand because you chose not to reveal yourself. The other DJs who post on this board make themselves known to others and accept (for the most part) peoples criticisms. Who are you and where are these venues in which you "spin to over 2000 people"?

Originally posted by tempkid

Fuck you mother fucker!!!

Who the fuck do you think you are, just because us new jerseyers like vocals we are not educated, you don't no shit,, diffrent people diffrent styles. Don't use the taste of new jerseyers for an excuse that nobody likes your music. Go spin your 12am-1am set at the raves for your little mouthbib sucking, glowstick playing, I do to many pills and dance like a fool 13 year old crowd. Ok raver boy

Nobody said you are not educated. Don't misquote me. I said that the average NJ club goer does not connect or understand the music that I play.

I also said that you and everyone else is free to choose what they want to hear.

There are plenty of people in NJ who do get it. Just look at the Whistle events, the Asbury Park raves, and the Sympty events that are filled with NJ people.

I love spinning a late night set, but 2am-4am is more prime

Originally posted by cgm

How can we "chose to like or dislike your style" when we do not know your style first hand because you chose not to reveal yourself. The other DJs who post on this board make themselves known to others and accept (for the most part) peoples criticisms. Who are you and where are these venues in which you "spin to over 2000 people"?

My last large event was just a month or two ago. I played a rave called "Is It Sex or Is It Love?" It went off to crowd of over four thousand. It was held in "The Red Light" nightclub, LaValle, Quebec, Canada, just outside of Montreal. I was one of two American DJ's flown in for this, the Red Light's largest annual event. "Is Sex or Is IT Love" has been going for 5 years strong now, though this was my first time playing this particular event.

I also was flown into LA to play the APLA party in Los Angeles. This annual event takes place on the back lot of Universal Studios. It is a fund raiser where the tickets are about $125 apiece. The event draws between 2500 to 3000 people. The only other DJ booked for that night was DJ Disciple, who I presume you have heard of. (He is one of the few US DJ's to have had a long running radio mix show on UK's Radio 1)

I was also part of a collective of DJ's that created became what was known as "The Lost City" This was every Thursday at a club called Metropolis, in Irvine, CA. Some of the other members of that collective included: Taylor, Sandra Collins and Doc Martin. This night was a seminal night in the creation and nurturing of the West Coast Trance movement and where I had many of my formative experiences. I have shared the decks with these DJ's and any of those names certainly ranks when it comes to DJ's worldwide.

I have done live broadcasts on Groove Radio both in Miami (WMC 2000, Timo Maas and Leon Alexander were on right before my set) and LA.

Asked and answered. Thanks for the question.

PS: I used to have a residencies in both Hoboken and Teaneck. I left the residency in Hoboken because the owner wanted to have a format that was too heavy on the hip-hop and 80's side for my taste.:D

perhaps I'm a little biased as I know laraver but the fact is he is a solid dj - you can take issues with his words if you like and even his attitude towards clubs and other djs BUT he can turn it up and tear sh-t up... mind you that I have met and listened to most of the djs on this board...I have listened and hung with Denny Tsettos, Danny T, got to meet Carl Cox in the booth and chit chat, etc...

problem here is, this doesnt seem to be about music any more...this is typical NJ drama, it's about who you know and who you like and dont like...

kostap - are you greek? I'm hoping not because your words and demeanor would be an insult to my heritage. Those that rash and thrash about with the cursing and threats should raise their levels of maturity and intelligence - in lamen's terms, "Grow the fuck up". There's better ways to throw down - this is not one of them.

I have a feeling you and I will meet one day and we can talk man to man. You may want to do the same with laraver - but on the side like it should have been done to begin with. Bustin' it up like you and your friends did was simply not right and no one with half a brain will support the action. Everyone involved will remember - what goes around, comes around.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by nickpapas

kostap - are you greek? I'm hoping not because your words and demeanor would be an insult to my heritage. Those that rash and thrash about with the cursing and threats should raise their levels of maturity and intelligence - in lamen's terms, "Grow the fuck up". There's better ways to throw down - this is not one of them.

I have a feeling you and I will meet one day and we can talk man to man.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a. yes i am greek

b. what makes it your heritage and not mine. fuck you

c. my maturity level is just fine if u dont like what i write, dont read it.

d. give me a better way to throw down tough guy

e. would love to meet up with u and "talk" man to man im at Image come by on Friday gay boy.

it's greeks like you that give good greeks like me a bad reputation. now I know why people call u assfucker stop jumping in bed with laraver.

...so you're a good greek because you're a promoter? or because you can gang up on somebody on the board and blow their spot? or because you can call me an assfucker?

boy, i'm truly impressed...listen g, i didn't say "our" heritage because i wasnt sure you were greek...and if you think i'm a tough guy then so be it...all i'm trying to do is tell you how WRONG it is to do this shit...now since that is not working, I will talk to you at image or on the phone or via pm...you're not hearing me but misunderstanding me...

...so you're a good greek because you're a promoter? or because you can gang up on somebody on the board and blow their spot? or because you can call me an assfucker?

boy, i'm truly impressed...listen g, i didn't say "our" heritage because i wasnt sure you were greek...and if you think i'm a tough guy then so be it...all i'm trying to do is tell you how WRONG it is to do this shit.

Originally posted by nickpapas

a. im not a promoter. im the general manager of Image

b. my bad, u were coming off a little too aggresive.

c. i appreciate your opinion on trying to tel me what i'm doing is wrong but im my own man and will do what i want when i want. i take responsibility for my actions. always have always will. just ask my lawyer!(that was a joke)

...it's hard for me to watch certain things go down in front of me...i like you take responsibility for my own actions...i've been around this scene for too long...we used to chill with Jimmy at Foxes and toast a few back in the day...ask Denny Tsettos about Niko from DMN and he'll tell you - I have no enemies and am friends with many djs and the like - as much as I believe NJ gets a bad rap in terms of musical appreciation and its nightlife, I also believe people should not be picked on in public - it's as simple as that...everybody's got a cause...

i'll see you down the way...maybe 11/2 on my birthday...