Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Help With a Demo, Please Info?

djdekan

My name is Pete and I currently live in NYC, I am moving to Miami this December and am looking for a couple club gigs. I spin Mostly Epic Trance, (Tiesto, oakey, talla, along those lines). I have just finished my latest demo and I am looking for people, places, anyone to send it to. I can mail it, send it through the computer in Mp3 format. I just need info and if anyone can help me out it would be great or even if you just want to listen that is cool too. My email is djdekan@yahoo.com.

So then How do you suppose a Dj should start to get experience? I have listened to alot of dj's that spin in Miami clubs, and I give HALF credit the rest are either just as good as me or worse, some can't beat match, some have no way of moving the crowd, some have no order to what they put on. Message me with your address or email me and ill send you a cd, cause I hate running of my mouth aboiut other people without backing anything up, especially spinning, becasue it is hard as hell.

Thanks for your opinion

Wether I agree or not on your opinion of jocks in Miami, you have to realize its not NY and they have their own thing going on. What one person likes or calls good or bad there is always someone who thinks the opposite, and bashing the djs isn't the way to get a gig. Un-named or unknowns can get work in Miami, you just have to be aggressive and go for it, don't be nice, nice guys finish last, cut some throats. Good Luck. I not how sure the Trance/progressive scene is down there, but I know the house scene is huge, and the crowds do get moved by some jocks, but then again the crowd is different and doesn't always look to jump up and down and go nuts, they may not look responsive but they are enjoying the vibe layed down, It is a different scene, take it for what it is.

you probably already understand this, but many aspiring djs seem to think that simply spinning great records will impress promoters and/or club owners. running a nightclub in sobe is extremely expensive, so promoters need djs who will pack their clubs with happy, thirsty people night after night. it's difficult to convince the powers that be that you can build a large, loyal following if they'll just give you a few weeks. last time i visited, there were boxes of unopened demo cds in the level office; promoters here are inundated with material from hopeful djs.

i suggest that, when you get to sobe, you visit all the clubs (yes, on all of the different nights, too), have a look around, and determine where your style might be best appreciated. introduce yourself to the promoter(s) and go from there. it's almost impossible to build a reputation long distance without a residency and/or a record.

best of luck with your dj endeavors.

I agree as i sTATed up above it is very difficult to break through here in Miami...demo Cds are thrown away literaly or given tofriends of promoter(hence why i have so many cds).

your best Bet is to go to a newer market. or a mArket that doesnt have that intense competition.

here in Miami 30 % is how good you spin the other is name recognition and poltics with promoters and owners

GOOOOD LUCK

Thanks For the info Guys, I have already been down that road twice with demos, everywhere all over South Beach (Space, Blue, Opium, Crobar, Level, Shadow, I dont feel like typing the rest). Thats why I was asking on here, see if anyone who loved the music would just give a listen and then get hooked from there.