Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Promoters in NYC

Who are all of you new jack promoters on this board trying to get people to come to their parties? Whatever happenned to old school promotions with Joey and Artie, Paul Drohan, Von Broks, and Alon and Danny A?

Who is Andy Zee, Steve Groove, Eclipse Promotions, what the fuck is this club world coming to?

Pointed myself out, and I don't know why...

But as a moderator I WONT delete this thread since it seems to be a direct attack.

As far as being 'newjack' is concerned, my dearest, as a person who has gone to many clubs for years and years, I hardly envision myself as a 'newjack'... perhaps as a promoter, if you want to call me that, I'm a bit new on the scene... promotions wise only. However, at least I can say I've to date not performed one act of being shady or a complete asshole... never stole someones list, emailer, etc... listened to idea's from senior producer/promoters out there, etc... and seemed to earn a decent amount of respect from many area DJs. Maybe Im too nice.

Guys like Artie, Alex and Leo, etc all are held with respect in my eyes, and I never once blasted people like this. It makes me wonder if you're really friends with any of these folks, at least with guys like Alex and Leo, who I'm friends with.

As far as parties being bad, well you know it takes awhile to find the perfect mix to make that good party. Of recent times, I havent seen any big parties from any promoters you mentioned that has really made a statement in the NY club scene. Its been years since that's happened... perhaps Earth being the newest and most dramatic return of a piece of older club scene now lost.

I'm not going to say anything bad about you, Tatiana, because I know you posted here for awhile and I believe we seemed to have gotten a long in the past. If you have a problem with me, or a party, or have some ways you think you can improve on that and want to give some 'tips' then by all means, email me.

Will you be at Blis on Friday? Maybe we can meet and say hi... Are you working there by chance? I wouldnt doubt if we have the same groups of friends and associates...

Steve"I dont like drama" Groove

Originally posted by crystalmethod

As far as being 'newjack' is concerned, my dearest, as a person who has gone to many clubs for years and years, I hardly envision myself as a 'newjack'... perhaps as a promoter, if you want to call me that, I'm a bit new on the scene... promotions wise only. However, at least I can say I've to date not performed one act of being shady or a complete asshole... never stole someones list, emailer, etc... listened to idea's from senior producer/promoters out there, etc... and seemed to earn a decent amount of respect from many area DJs. Maybe Im too nice.

Guys like Artie, Alex and Leo, etc all are held with respect in my eyes, and I never once blasted people like this. It makes me wonder if you're really friends with any of these folks, at least with guys like Alex and Leo, who I'm friends with.

As far as parties being bad, well you know it takes awhile to find the perfect mix to make that good party. Of recent times, I havent seen any big parties from any promoters you mentioned that has really made a statement in the NY club scene. Its been years since that's happened... perhaps Earth being the newest and most dramatic return of a piece of older club scene now lost.

I'm not going to say anything bad about you, Tatiana, because I know you posted here for awhile and I believe we seemed to have gotten a long in the past. If you have a problem with me, or a party, or have some ways you think you can improve on that and want to give some 'tips' then by all means, email me.

Will you be at Blis on Friday? Maybe we can meet and say hi... Are you working there by chance? I wouldnt doubt if we have the same groups of friends and associates...

Steve"I dont like drama" Groove

I agree with Steve. I am relatively new to the NY promotions scene. I have been running the Sand Bar party in Jersey City for 4 yeard every summer and i have just been in promotions in NY for about a year. I work for Daryl Darren and Dino with the promotions in NYC. I also do the Friday night party in Joeys in Clifton, NJ. I am not shady. I am there just to try to make the party better, have a good time, and meet new people. As Steve said, I will be at Blis as well. Come by and say hello.

I completely understand where you might be coming from but you have to see it from my point of view. I'm a disgruntled clubber unhappy with today's scene and what it has become with this new day and age. I used to dance at the old Mirage when JP was there, and Sound Factory when it first opened along with Carbon when Joey and Artie were there. I know promoters and I see what this has become. Alot of these, let's say "new-jacks" have arisen from the david marvesi exit era. i have no respect for sub promoters who call themselves a promoter because they have a guestlist, or they're a team leader. Back in the day, the head promoters brought everybody and there never used to be any subs. Subs are a new thing of the recent day and age where parties do need help. I see parties thrown by Joey and Artie (Roxy-World era), Danny A and Alon (Lotus and the new SF when it opened), Chris Reda (Vegas and Cancun), and Clique (Saci, Float, 151), and all these guys have proven to be great promoters once and once again. Joey and Artie may have fallen off a little bit, actually drastically ;-) but the other promoters I have listed have always given me a new time. i'm not saying you're doing anything wrong by throwing your own parties but in all sense, save yourself the trouble. The club scene is not what it used to be then and it probably wont' be for a while, but promoters who think they're promoters, are singlehandedly ruining ths scene and what's it's become.

Originally posted by tatiana22

Joey and Artie may have fallen off a little bit, actually drastically ;-)

IMO, Joey and Artie have fallen off alot since Daryl Darren and Dino left them. Is that a coincidence? Hmmm......................

The head promoters need to bring in other promoters because the scene has done a 180 over the last couple of years, and they need all the help they can.

Exit and Marvisi is a whole different story.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I completely understand where you might be coming from but you have to see it from my point of view. I'm a disgruntled clubber unhappy with today's scene and what it has become with this new day and age. I used to dance at the old Mirage when JP was there, and Sound Factory when it first opened along with Carbon when Joey and Artie were there. I know promoters and I see what this has become. Alot of these, let's say "new-jacks" have arisen from the david marvesi exit era. i have no respect for sub promoters who call themselves a promoter because they have a guestlist, or they're a team leader. Back in the day, the head promoters brought everybody and there never used to be any subs. Subs are a new thing of the recent day and age where parties do need help. I see parties thrown by Joey and Artie (Roxy-World era), Danny A and Alon (Lotus and the new SF when it opened), Chris Reda (Vegas and Cancun), and Clique (Saci, Float, 151), and all these guys have proven to be great promoters once and once again. Joey and Artie may have fallen off a little bit, actually drastically ;-) but the other promoters I have listed have always given me a new time. i'm not saying you're doing anything wrong by throwing your own parties but in all sense, save yourself the trouble. The club scene is not what it used to be then and it probably wont' be for a while, but promoters who think they're promoters, are singlehandedly ruining ths scene and what's it's become.

Well look Tatiana - with all due respect, a little history on myself which might, hopefully make you renounce that I suck. LOL

First off, I don't sub promote for anyone... secondly, I do throw my own parties, and we havent done many lately. Secondly, as far as Im concerned, and no offense to those who go there... SF, EXit, Saci, Float... even my parties, all suck compared to days of old. In fact, I cant even stand being out that much anymore... Im much more into low key lounges, such as Lotus, Eugenes... or places like Fressen. Things just don't do it anymore... big clubs have lost their vibe it seems. Perhaps its just not my thing. Either way, I LOVE the music and always will.

As far as my background is concerned... my days as a clubber began in '93 with the Disco 2000 parties... since then I remember many great parties such as Disco, Futureshock, things going on at Nasa, I stopped by at Save the Robotots but sadly dont remember much of that party (LOL) - Club USA, Arena @ Palladium, D-Tour at Tunnel etc... Not too long ago I was the national manager of a magazine written by DJs called Extreme Groove, I also was a territory manager for a pro audio book called EQ. I have a deep love and respect for music... granted, if I could throw a party I'd want to throw, I'd need around 20k.

Look, I'm really tired right now and just babbling... point is, to say people suck without giving them a chance to grow isn't nice or fair. If you think guys like Artie and company built Rome in a day... c'mon. Also, take into account... many people out there have done the SHADIEST of SHADES that I wont mention... I know a lot of stories that stay in my head.

Before you think everyone is great... think about how they got there.

Ciao Tatiana, hope we meet one day.

-Steve

*SORRY THIS IS STEVE USING MUGWUMP'S COMPUTER

(And forgetting to change names)

but everybody and their mother are promoters nowadays. There's really no "exclusivity" of it anymore. If you have 10 - 15 friends you could be a promoter, and run a list at a club. The problem is that there are all these people who "get the deal" with the club, and then they ask anyone who knowws 10 people to do a list...and of course we all know most everyone knows 10 people...that's why there is such downturn in quality...i mean, how many parties do you know where you get turned away? yeah, that is annoying, but that's where people always knew the place was good...yeah, lotus, spa, suite 16...and others could do that in the beginning, but NOW...you have 15 other places to go to...cause EVERYONE IS A PROMOTER!!!

Originally posted by mjr203

The truth comes out!

Mugwump and Steve Groove are being held hostage by DaVe in Mugz' apartment. When you see them out it is actually robots controlled from the apartment!!!

<sorry new to this whole drama thing>

-MJR

LOL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

how long have you been working on this theory?

-MJR

Originally posted by monical

but everybody and their mother are promoters nowadays. There's really no "exclusivity" of it anymore. If you have 10 - 15 friends you could be a promoter, and run a list at a club. The problem is that there are all these people who "get the deal" with the club, and then they ask anyone who knowws 10 people to do a list...and of course we all know most everyone knows 10 people...that's why there is such downturn in quality...i mean, how many parties do you know where you get turned away? yeah, that is annoying, but that's where people always knew the place was good...yeah, lotus, spa, suite 16...and others could do that in the beginning, but NOW...you have 15 other places to go to...cause EVERYONE IS A PROMOTER!!!

Who are all of you new jack promoters on this board trying to get people to come to their parties? Whatever happenned to old school promotions with Joey and Artie, Paul Drohan, Von Broks, and Alon and Danny A?

Who is Andy Zee, Steve Groove, Eclipse Promotions, what the fuck is this club world coming to?

Hahahah..Paul Drohan I find that funny! Tatiana why dont you tell us what makes a great party. Just out of curiosity, how "old school" are you?

Originally posted by bratnik

Hahahah..Paul Drohan I find that funny! Tatiana why dont you tell us what makes a great party. Just out of curiosity, how "old school" are you?

yeah tatiana . . . tell em . . . how "old school" are you sweetie? :)

~ brandie ~

promoters are done..

not all fault on their own...the sheep are to blame as well..

there's no difference anymore from party to party...

they are all the same.....

go to float, factory, saci, twirl, lotus, eden...its all the same..

where has the creativity gone....

i know where a lot of it is....but i dont want to sound like a promoter.

Originally posted by sleepiswaste

promoters are done..

not all fault on their own...the sheep are to blame as well..

there's no difference anymore from party to party...

they are all the same.....

go to float, factory, saci, twirl, lotus, eden...its all the same..

where has the creativity gone....

i know where a lot of it is....but i dont want to sound like a promoter.

i wouldnt go that far...

is the talent diluted? yes it is...but that doesn't mean you can't throw a quality party in NY...

its funny how ive read this entire thread and all the quality promoters mentioned, and there hasnt been mention of John Blair, Rob Fernandez, Tom Mello, Mike Bindra, Jeff Fusion or Rocco...

these people throw quality parties and bring in quality crowds...the problem is word of mouth, and when a party gets famous and gains noteriety, the "unwanted" starts to infiltrate them and lessen the quality of the vibe and crowd.

anyway, back to the subject...saying youre a promoter isn't saying much nowadays.

In all my optimism, though, I believe that if you bring together a cohesive, respected, and talented team, promote to the correct and desired clientele, and clearly state, achieve, and implement the goals, then a quality party in NY can be had once again. And all this talk of Disco 2000, Big Fridays, and D-Tour can go by the wayside and emphasis on the hear & now can finally return.

no, you know what your fuckin problem is Tati...whatever the hell your name is..........your problem is that you're just a bitch and can't figure the real shit out cause non of them wanna be your friends. shut the hell up.

i'm really irritated today.