Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What are the best DJ sets that you've heard in a DC club?

vicman

Jus' curious to know since weve all pretty much seen tons of DJ's pass through DC during our time here, which have played the best sets, i.e. which ones have taken you "there" regardless if you were plastered, unconcious, or fast asleep next to the subwoofers....

And for those for whom it applies, your own sets dont count :D

Richie Hawtin, 7/6/01. It was the first (and, unfortunately, only) time I'd heard him live. The minimal techno was completely spacey and mind-warping. And I heard some people say that for him it wasn't even a great set. If that's the case, then holy shit, cuzI loved every second of it. It was also the first time I'd heard La La Land cuz he dropped it near the end of his set.

Also, Alex Whalen, 9/26/01. I was really digging his opening set. Then for what turned out to be his last song he dropped some wonderful, banging tribal thing that was very familiar but I couldn't ID while I was leaning against the wall. And then the breakdown came and I heard "If I should die this very moment..." It was Bill Hamel's remix of Lamb - Gorecki which I'd been listening to over and over on a Digweed Kiss FM mix. I lost my fucking mind.

For me:

1. Tall Paul not this last time he was here, but the time before then, I think it was the final foam party of this year.

2. Dave Ralph 3 months ago, when Piccotto was here.

3. Last time Deep Dish was @ Buzz.

4. Basement Jaxx

5. And I'll cheat: Scott Henry and Christopher Lawrence over the summer in Baltimore...cant remember the name of that event.

Carl Cox @ Area 1 comes close.

Honestly? Buster and Whalen at 5 on Saturdays used to tear it up! Those were some of my best nights!

D:Fuse at Glow was incredible and I really enjoyed Carl Cox and Danny Howells at Buzz.

But, every time I've seen deep dish I've been disappointed! What up with that?

Originally posted by eggmok

at starscape in baltimore earlier this year - scott henry's set was incredible . . .

also, danny howells and deep dish at buzz, when was that millee, raver and shady . . .

yeah, starscape. Scott Henry's set was the best I've ever heard from him. Needless to say, Chrostopher Lawrence's set was also money that night!

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

TENAGLIA AT VINYL! :bounce: Nothin's gonna compare to that!

Vinyl's not in DC so that doesn't count. Otherwise I would have said Danny Howell's LAbor Day set at Vinyl. Danny Howells when opened for Deep Dish at Buzz on 6/8/01 was a good one, too.

Originally posted by Kuro

Vinyl's not in DC so that doesn't count. Otherwise I would have said Danny Howell's LAbor Day set at Vinyl. Danny Howells when opened for Deep Dish at Buzz on 6/8/01 was a good one, too.

No doubt Kuro! I'd also have to nominate the Tenaglia and Digweed spin off at Twilo as one of my all time favorites!

Originally posted by Hal

since no time frame was given, lesse...

Moraes; Tenaglia; Morel @ Fifth Column (diff nites, of course)

Tenaglia @ Tracks

Cox @ Capitol Ballroom

Tenaglia @ Nation

Peters; Vicious @ Zei

RnG @ Nation

to name a few...

Awwwww man. I missed so much good shit. I have yet to see Tenaglia.

Originally posted by vicman

Actually the last time I went up to NY I specifically, or at least part of the reason for going, was to see Tennaglia spin @ Vinyl.

I got there and he was out in Ibiza :mad: :mad:

Tenaglia's got a website. If you're going to travel up to New York to catch him you should check his schedule ahead of time to make sure it's not one of the Fridays that he won't be there.

Julius Papp, Craze, & Kevin Saunderson @ Decadance

Sam "the Man" Burns @ Red - almost everytime I've seen him. :)

MJ Cole @ Buzz a few months back

BT (live) @ 930 club in Oct '00

PVD @ Buzz in Dec '99

Oakenfold @ Buzz in '99

Jason Jinx @ Loop the Loop @ the Edge in '98?

Doc Martin & Derrick Carter @ Energize @ the Armory in '98?

etc etc

Oooooh the memories!!!!! :P

-YG

Originally posted by yellowgirl

Julius Papp, Craze, & Kevin Saunderson @ Decadance

yeah, I have to agree with yellowgirl and scratch, kevin saunderson and julius papp were pretty impressive @ Decadence...i mighht also want to add saeed and palash @ red