Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lower East Side Hangouts

What are some of your favoriate spots in the LES? I've only been there a few times but would like to explore it some more. So far I've been to Angel, Barramundi, Arlene's Grocery (to hear a band), Torch (heard a great female jazz vocalist), some place called Velaise or something....

Great Eats - Boca Chica

Great Eats - Great Drinks - Chez Es Saada

Good Drinks/ Smoke Hookah - Karma Lounge

There's a good place between Boca Chica and Karma to get good waffles, coffee, and ice cream.... can't miss it.

Take a trip to CBGB's if you've never been there before.

Try to think of some more later....

hmmmmmmmmm......i was thinking a little deeper southeast into the LES (where the streets have names, not letters and numbers). Boca Chica & Chez Es Saada are on the perimeter, sort of on the south end of the east village, or do i have it all mixed up?

what's up w/ CBGB's? some kind of legendary NYC spot, right?

Originally posted by shugabooga

i'm not a particular fan of CBGB's because it gives me the heebeejeebee's. :half:

deeper into LES where streets have no #'s but names? La Leche @ FUN. madison st/pike,, underneath manhattan bridge. check out mugz' post: http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66479

OMG, legendary doesn't even begin to describe CBGBs. You have heard of The Ramones, right? Hendrix even played there. CBGBs has been the rock club of NYC for many, many years. But anyhoo...

Is the corner of 1st Ave and 2nd St considered lower east side? I'm playing there tonight from 10pm-4am at La Nouvelle Justine (101 E 2nd St). I'll be spinning an evolving set of hard house, nu-nrg, Baltimore breaks, acid breaks, and hard tek-trance. Stop by and check it out if you get a chance.

Originally posted by xpander

Try the lansky lounge... Norfolk st. right off Delancy.

It's a pretty dressy-ish place but the bartenders/door people/pimp man ID checker are all mad cool.

And there's a dance floor for the relaxation-deficient...:D

i think i've been there. is it an old speakeasy and you have to go down some stairs, through an alley way and up some stairs and in through the back door? or did i just have a weird dream?

i think i've been there. is it an old speakeasy and you have to go down some stairs, through an alley way and up some stairs and in through the back door? or did i just have a weird dream?

No dream mate...that's it!

Think i need to frequent there again one of these days. How'd you like it?

well, in all fairness, i would have to say i'm neutral on the place. it was a slow wednesday night and i was with a friend who was visiting and he was so excited to see every nook and cranny of new york that i could barely finish my drink before he'd be like "comeon let's go!" i think i must have seen 12 places that night basically all over the city.

mine's just the opposite....

My friends took me there for my late b-day celebration this year...where I got drunk off my ass and Wicked Liquid rocked the fucking house (but missed CP's very own Charlie Ruhle...tsktsktsk...j/k:D)

So yeah...my only experience there, but it was VERY good....

Originally posted by xpander

Double post....

Polerbear lounge/sub tonic

Under Tonic~

you sit in huge wine barrels

..veeerrry underground...

Venture only if you are the type

that listens to Orbital and kraftwerk!

my fav.

dive/artsy/underground lower east side spot!

(across the street from Lansky's)

Originally posted by heretic909

OMG, legendary doesn't even begin to describe CBGBs. You have heard of The Ramones, right? Hendrix even played there. CBGBs has been the rock club of NYC for many, many years. But anyhoo...

Is the corner of 1st Ave and 2nd St considered lower east side? I'm playing there tonight from 10pm-4am at La Nouvelle Justine (101 E 2nd St). I'll be spinning an evolving set of hard house, nu-nrg, Baltimore breaks, acid breaks, and hard tek-trance. Stop by and check it out if you get a chance.

I really want to check out this restaurant and your tunes. Soon! How is the food? Or should one just come for drinks? What's the best time to come?

I really want to check out this restaurant and your tunes. Soon! How is the food? Or should one just come for drinks? What's the best time to come?

The food is pretty fancy and pricey. They stop serving dinner around 11pm or so. Around midnight is a good time to come when they move the tables out of the middle of the floor and make room for people that want to dance. For music, I'll be playing hard house and nu-nrg til around 1am, then switch it over for an hour of breaks or so, then back to 4-to-the-floor type beats more in the hard tek-trance kinda vein. Sometimes I'll get asked to put on some hardcore at the end of the night since there have been some people really getting into that kinda music lately. It's just a laidback vibe there, sometimes it's full, sometimes it's not. A new manager just took over so a lot of the regulars left since he's trying to promote it a little differently now. Not as many hardcore s/m people there, but it's still a fun little joint to hear some good tunes.

ah, there are soooo many places Shuga:

dives: tons of them, but one of my favorites is Library Bar (Ave A and 1st street). Great 2 for 1 happy hour 5 - 8 every day including sundays

between Orchard and Ludlow bar, i like Orchard better.

Bario (Stanton near ludlow) is pretty cool with good eats and an upstairs where they have dj's / live bands

Farther north: Miracle Grill: 1st ave between 6th and 7th - great eats and a heated back garden.

There are a whole bunch of loungy spots up and down ludlow and stanton too who's names just don't catch right now....

the rest i forget the names of though...love to go barhopping with ya sometime....

Hey Shuga...

Just had a chance to hang out there this weekend. We stopped at a few places

a) Angel

B) Luna Lounge

c) Lansky's

d) Rivertown Lounge

e) Arlene Grocery

Personally - I had the most fun at Angel and Rivertown

Not sure of the locations, but I'm sure you can find them out if you search on the board. Good luck, and have fun :)

I've been chilling on the LES for about 3 years now (LES is south of houston, anything north is really East Village or ABC city.)

Places I like the most currently:

1) Bar-B on allen, great deep house music, chill environment

2) Lotus Club on clinton, cheap drinks, chill- place is getting a little blown up I think

3) Rivertown - you can never go wrong with this place and the bouncer rocks

4) Local 138

5) Infrared Lounge

Other places I used to go to:

1) Swim

2) Lanksy's Lounge

3) Double Happiness

4) Fun

5) Bobs

6) Ludlow Bar

7) Kush

8) Orchard Bar

So so places:

1) Abaya - velvet rope, standard lounge, I had fun there but a little to shi shi for that area.

2) Angel - way too blown up, good hip hop on Saturday but way too crowded.

Good after partying places to eat:

1) Pomme Frittes on Houston off of Orchard - the BEST

2) Turkish Kebab House -used to be good, these days I dunno.

La Linea has good hip-hop, similiar to Bobs. Technically its in East vilalge/ABC city. Can get kinda crowded. Drinkland is cool on the LES.

Fierydesire, you don't mean Nightingales on 2nd Ave? I live near there, that place sucks, drinks are so weak and watered down and place is usually dead.

Originally posted by fierydesire

I personally like La Linea...they have great reggae and hip hop on friday nights. I think others in LES may be Alphabet Lounge, Drinkland and um maybe Nightangle...not sure if they are all in LES but they are around there;0

wow i've been more places than i thought. La Linea is East Village, because it's north of Houston. Drinkland, I believe, is Alphabet City....as well as a place called Niagra, and also Alphabet Lounge. Abaya, I love the decor there, it's East Village, but they're all really close, close enough for one night's agenda.

Does anybody have any further 411 on Infrared Lounge? I heard it was great!

Shuga,

Infrared Lounge in deep in the LES, on Rivington and Pitt (equivalent of Avenue C). If you're coming from Ludlow, Orchard or Clinton Street, make a left on Rivington (if you're facing south) and you'll hit it.

It's pretty dark in there, couches and seats around, dance area is very small. I was there a few Saturdays (it's been a while) and it was hard progressive house/trance. Music was good, crowd could have been a little better. It wasn't too crowded when I hit it, but this was months ago.