Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Ravers" Out There - what do you think...

Hi everyone

I was wandering if there are any of you out there who:

1. like raves

2. like drum n bass or hard trance or hardcore or techno or breaks or any of the other styles of music that are usually played at raves

3. If you do like raves does anyone think that it shouldn't:

a. be so expensive to get in

b. is usually too crowded to dance

c. have such a lack of decorations/dancers/good lighting displays

4. Are interested in a rave but have never been to one

5. have stereotypes about the term "raver"

I am just curious, please let me know what you think..

Thanks

Shaz Star

Illuminati Productions

1. Used to before the were taken over by swarms of drug dealers, people that can't handle their drugs, and faceless corporate sponsors.

2. Can't go wrong with techno and hardcore, as long as it isn't that repulsive 'happy hardcore'. Gimme gabba anyday.

a) I don't care if Jesus himself came down to DJ, I'm not paying more than $25 to go to a party.

B) Everything in life should be balanced, and it goes the same for good raves with a nice amount of people, but not too crowded that you can't dance.

c) A couple of screens with fractal images or computer animations being projected on them is nice along with decent (but not over extravagant) lights. I could care less if there were hired dancers on podiums.

4. Last rave I went to was in a clearing on a mountaintop in northern Idaho a few years ago where they had brought generators for the speakers and lights. I figured that good, hard trance and colored lights bouncing off of pine trees was about the peak experience I was gonna get at a rave after I had started noticing their decline.

5. People have stereotypes about every subculture whether it's ravers or rivetheads or goths or whatever, so I can't say that I care.

1) LIKED raves - but alas most "raves" that we have now are a bunch of drugged out 15 year old kiddes in some roller rink in the bronx. next time i see anyone in a k-hole sitting in the middle of the dancefloor i will take steps to make sure they are in serious pain.

2) likes trance, techno, jungle/dnb, hardcore (you know the score!) and beginning to appreciate the funkier side of house + tribal.

3)

a - $30 is my limit, unless it is a 3 day psy-trance party in the middle of the canadian rockies or a dance vally (amsterdam) style massive.

b - agrees with heretic on this one.

c - agrees with heretic on this one also. vid-screens, cyber-lights and strobes are all it takes. dancers are cool but not integral - its just more eye candy.

4) my interest is fading.... i still like to go to clubs and massives but i feel that most of the parties as of late have been ill conceived: too expensive, repetitive (and unimpressive) lineups, way too crowded, greedy promoters who oversell and still let people buy tickets at the door, with 2 hour waits to get into some decrepit poorly engineered space half populated by k'd out morons SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DANCEFLOOR and narcs asking people what they're on. after a taste of ibiza and amsterdam, it is difficult to go back to key skate or amazura.

that being said - i have seen a resurgence in club culture lately. more smaller venues are booking more world class djs for every night of the week. sure i miss superclubs like tunnel and twilo, but at this point i'm liking what we've got now.

5) sure stereotypes are there - but we've all been through it. you start off and its like nothing else you've ever done before, and then slowly you mature and (hopefully) realize that ecstasy is a also state of mind. you see the scene for what it is - and there is still some good to take out of it. there are those with the backlash against the cracked out kiddies (e-tards) but as long as you don't sit in the middle of the dancefloor do whatever you feel like on your personal walk through life. there are ravers who are good, kind, smart people. there are others who are not. its the same way in anything else.

hugs,

rob

Are you ready to experience the best party NYC has ever seen?

It is true, this line up is 100% confirmed, The location is a great Club space in NYC, that will be entirly redecorated to look like a Tropical Island! - we have over 25 female dancers that will be wearing hawian costumes and dancing for your pleasure and entertainment, there will be free givaways of vinyl, cd's, clothing and more all night.. courtesy of top Record Labels from the UK, We have promoted this party to the right people like you only! because we want to bring back that crazy party vibe! Come and Reprezent with all your friends and if you are coming in a group we will get you in free or offer a group discount.. if you are interested in promoting this or one of our other events you can email me at this address because we are currently hiring promoters. Its gonna be an awsome party, like no other - we hope to see you there next Thursday!!

Pleasure Island

Thursday 6th December

Location: 20 W39th St. Bet. 5th and 6th Avenues - Manhattan NYC

Date: 12-06-01

Time: 9.00pm to 6.00am

Cost: $10 before 12.00 (or on guestlist all night) $15

Ages: 18 and up

Info: (phone) 212 560 2688

Info: (email) ********@aol.com

Specials: HOT Dancers (feat. Quad), Tropical Decor, Givaways, Free Juice and Breakfast

Lighting: Lighting Effects by Ben <Light-o-Matic>

Styles: Jungle, HipStep, Hardcore, Trance, House

Djs: Micheal Myers, Johnny Hardkore, J-Smooth, Johnny Fame, Circuit Breaker, Knowledge, Link (A.K.A Missing Link) , Tuffist, Human (A.K.A Pinnacle), ********, Soul Slinger, I-Cue,Winter, Jen Mas, Bobby Skillz, Nicky Twist, Tek-Life, Iron Lyon, Endeavor

MC's: Vudu Pryst, Chief, Soul 1, MC Override, Plus More TBA

Promoters: Illuminati Productions

Directions: Take All Subways to Pen Station and walk 5 blocks North, and then 2 blocks East. / Call Infoline for Directions by Car.

please fwd this info to all peoples with a good vibe and a love for music

1-I like raves cause of the vibe, and that I can wear anything I please, mostly everyone is friendly, love the ravers attire(ufos, caffeine, visors, etc) . I just started getting into raves this year , b4 it was only into clubs. But recently raves have been too dissapointing for me as far as music wise and too expensive. I am into more hardcore/hardhouse type of music, I think there should be more of that at raves, at least they should have a hardcore room...just like they have a jungle room, cause I know there's plenty of ravers who love hardcore. I did miss a good rave that passed this friday, zebra 2.0 , that had lots of hardcore...oh well... I hope the christmas treat on dec. 15 is not gonna be dissapointing, but the lineup is sick.

:D

i love raves, my only complaints are that:

#1. lately there havent been any worth going to

#2. the crowd is usually so damned young

#3. the little children cant handle their drug intake

#4. i do not like to pay more than 20 or 25$

#5. so friggen hot

but generally i love the music and the people.

omg thats funny...that sounds just like whats wrong with raves in the first place...hawaiian dancers??lol free giveaways??lol..i had a birthday party like that once ...WHEN I WAS 8 !! it was called chuck E. cheese...whatever happened to the outlaw parties under the whitestone bridge or underneath an overpass in the bronx...i guess that died when raves did

RIP rave 1989- 1994

Originally posted by renntenn

omg thats funny...that sounds just like whats wrong with raves in the first place...hawaiian dancers??lol free giveaways??lol..i had a birthday party like that once ...WHEN I WAS 8 !! it was called chuck E. cheese...whatever happened to the outlaw parties under the whitestone bridge or underneath an overpass in the bronx...i guess that died when raves did

RIP rave 1989- 1994

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. What does this party have to do with raves? 25 Hawaiian dancers, free giveaways from companies that are only looking to advertise their product, and it's being held in a Manhattan club?

I used to like raves. Havent been to one in years though. THe last one I went to was called Narnia. It was held every year. The one I went to was held on an Indian Reservation in California. The reason being is #1 The reservations are in need of $. #2 Cops are not allowed on the reservations, they have there own cops. #3 you don't have to get permits and all that other crap because the reservations run themselves. I thinkl the cost was 30 bucks. It was outdoors and all the different dj's were seperated by huge mounds of sand. It was the best party or whatever that I have ever been too. That was so many years ago and I have never seen anything like that since.

this is all so tru i cannot go to a rave and see a kid that looks like my little brother or sister and comes up to me and is like "ARE U ROLLING I M". are u kidding me? i want to go to a place where the vibes are god and there arent little children running around asking evryone they see are u rolling. i used to love raves they are all to much $ and the talent is weak. i still love hardcore though. delerium scorpion and mumblz. anyway thats my opinion but this party does look good.

i'm wondering why you needed to ask us a bunch of dumb, newbie-sounding questions (do you like TRANCE????) just to promote this party. people will come because of the lineup, the cost, and the location but not because of gimmicks or promotional giveaways. hawaiian dancers are a cool idea for the dead of winter but they will not make a party.

and for the love of god there are at least 10 parties A NIGHT with an equivalent lineup, cost and location as yours. please don't pretend it'll be the best party ny has ever seen - anyone who's ever seen a flyer before will be turned off by that kind of arrogance.

look - i understand what u guys are trying to do - ny area "raves" are overcrowded and cost too damn much so i appreciate the effort you're putting in trying to reverse that. if you need promotional support to subsidize the income lost by low ticket prices, well that's ok - but its definitely not a selling point.

my advice: sell the party like it is - a good time that won't burn a hole in your wallet. but this "greatest party ever" b.s. has got to stop.

just my $.02

Rob

1. yeah I would go to more parties but they are filled with lil kids all though radiate was awesome there were so many fucking retards around me who were just totally disrespectful gropping my friends just gross.

2. I used to like trance like 3 years ago before it started to suck but its seems to be getting better as of late I love my ny house tribal house funky whatever any thing called hardcore I stay away from breaks a boring kinda but still good I cant stand jungle dnb puts me to sleep.

a. i think that 40 is my max no mater how massive the party is unless its like creamfields or something.

b. I think there is pretty much always room to dance anywhere but the main floor

c. I think parties should always have added value a lil something

4. ben there

5. yeah I picture the 15 year old white kids getting fucked up at the skate key by the way I went to school with the owners daughter

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by ********

Hi everyone

I was wandering if there are any of you out there who:

1. like raves

2. like drum n bass or hard trance or hardcore or techno or breaks or any of the other styles of music that are usually played at raves

a. be so expensive to get in

b. is usually too crowded to dance

c. have such a lack of decorations/dancers/good lighting displays

4. Are interested in a rave but have never been to one

5. have stereotypes about the term "raver"

I am just curious, please let me know what you think..

Thanks

Shaz Star

Illuminati Productions

. . . I feel oddly violated at that being a commercial . . . .:blank:

hi,

I feel like i should firstly, apologize and secondly, explain myself.

I was asking the questions because this board seems so clubby that I was wandering if there any people who liked raves on it, and I asked the questions in a naive tone because I wanted to relate to the people who I figured wouldn't really like the parties or hadn't been to a rave before. I am sorry that i underestimated you guys and that was kind of obnoxious of me. In terms of saying that this party is gonna be the best ever, it really is. i haven't said speeed on the flyer even because the venue is gonna be so decorated that it won't be like what speeed is usually like. I have spent almost a grand out of my own pocket just for decor.. not to mention lighting and dancers, i will definitly lose money out this party.. but i just want to do it to show how great a party can be. In terms of the sponsers being commercial ads etc.. no its my friends vinyl promo's that I picked up from her store when i was in london last week (i'm from the UK).. To clarify.. it really wasn't an advertisment - I do see why you think i posted this just to promote my party but i didn't I just wanted to see if there are any fellow people who feel liek raves are crap now - I am a true outlaw head myself and i went to every single NYC outlaw in the last 2 and a half years (you can test me , i mean EVERY one) - When I saw that you guys agreed with some of stuff about raves being too expensive and stuff i used the opportunity to tell you about my party even though it really wasn't the original prupose of my post. I understand why it looked like that because i read everything over and i would thing i was an idiot too. Concerning what wsomebody said about 'how is this even a rave' = it is because of the music, the lighting, the decor, the costumes, the dj's, the people it was promoted to, the crews that are involved and the real flyer (not the internet one) is a rave flyer. I hope that you all see where I am coming from.. I just love music and want everyone to feel that sence of escape and unity through dance and music - the way it used to be. I myself cannot ever pay to get into the raves so unless i'm comped i don't usually go, i am more into the underground/wherehouse parties thats why i'm charging so little.

My lineup is definitly NOT something you can 'find 10 of any night' It is a great lineup and not a 10 dollar one.

Shaz

Ok, I see where you're coming from. It is more of a clubbing community on these boards except for a few of us old geezers that remember what real raves were like back in the day. Probably would have been better to keep your party info and the rave quiz on separate threads, though. And calling it the best party NYC has ever seen was a big turnoff also. With New Years coming up, there are gonna be a shitload of huge parties with top DJ talent. I have to agree with Dialetics on this one that you'd probably be better off advertising it as a "good time that won't burn a hole in your wallet" since it is a great price to see DJs like SoulSlinger. But either way, good luck with your party and hopefully you'll break even. I know what it's like to organize your own event and lose money, but if the people enjoy it because of the vibe you've created for them, then it balances out in the end.

thanks for understanding, i felt really bad about coming off like

a manipulative naive idiot.. but its all cleared up I hope.

Shaz

You should all come, in fact I can comp yuo if you want, just so you can see what i'm up to and have fun..

shaz

email me, at s h a z s t a r @ aol.com

It's great that i just chanced upon this thread. I was just about to ask if there were still any ol' skool raves/ravers out there. I'm talking 93-ish. I remember going to parties in covert locations, paying $5 or less, getting a great lineup, and a great vibe. I also remember the start of the $20+ super events. These super events were cool at their time because they only happened a few times a year at most. Then it got to be the norm. On principle now I won't spend more than $10 on an event regardless of the lineup. I remember Frankie and Adams old factory/warehouse parties out in the BK, and then all over the city.

Do any of you folks know of promoters/organizers that are still putting together these types of things? If so, please PM me. btw, I won't be able to go on thursday due to an extremely low cash flow, but it sounds like a good shit.

shaz - its all good. i guess a lot of us have gotten used to the over-commericalization of everything and have to be on guard a lot from greedy promoters who will pack you in like cattle into hunka bunka in sayerville, only to say that BTS is having a gangwar outside and we all had to leave.... (which never happened - they just didn't have a license to keep the party on afterhours like the flyer advertised - there were many people who took their pillz thinking they had 4 more hours.... not a safe driving situation)

i wish you the best of luck with the party... like i said in my previous post "raves" have gotten way out of hand with the prices and crowds so i appreciate what yer trying to do.

rob