Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Reply to "Edgar's Friend"

spacious

Excellent letter Bruce. I agree with you on 80% of what you have said. Being on Edgar's side however makes you see this one sided. No matter how unbiased you try to be. One day you might be in a position where you are responsible for the life's of over 100 people and their families and you might just understand my side of this situation. I will try to clarify this one last time so that there is no doubt and you will not see me post on this subject ever again.

Lately the name Space has become a very valuable commodity. We are constantly being bombarded by promoters from all over the world. They tempt us with their offers of bigger and better festivals and clubs in far away lands. Of course the catch is always to use the name Space to draw in the crowds. They have even gone as far as trademarking our name and logo in various major cities in South America such as Venezuela and Colombia. South America does not respect US trademark rights. They (the promoters) take advantage of this situation. They hold raves and parties in obscure little cities and towns as well as large ones. To add validity to these events they use the name "CLUB SPACE." Not in small print but big and large as if it were a Club Space event. Such were the flyers that were used to market the event in which Edgar spun. But what would a Space event be without Space DJs and personnel? They can't buy the rights to use the name of the club so they buy the DJs in order to help validate their events. Who cares if these events are a piece of crap and do not represent what we at Space (over 100 employees) have worked so much to achieve? So what if the event sucks and it does not represent our life's work? Who cares if some kid dies at a "trivial" unsupervised Club Space rave in South America and Space gets the blame for it? So what if this helps to close Space down and my employees are out of jobs?

Guess who is responsible for having an answer to all these and many other questions? Guess who has to step up to the plate and deal with this shit? I could go on forever but I think you are beginning to get the point. The repercussions are endless.

If we entrust someone with the name Space and let them represent our livelihood and that of our families, we expect to be represented properly. If someone takes this trust in vain, they trample on who and what we are. Edgar knew very well that these promoters were using our name without our consent. This event like all events was promoted months ahead. Flyers and promotions were made with Space and Edgar's names on it. This was hidden from us and not brought to our attention. If it would have been, Edgar knows very well we would not want any part of it. This by the way is not the first time this happens, we just recently fired one of our head promoters for doing "Space" events in Columbia. We have strict policies on dealing with these type of situations and all our residents and employees are very aware of them. Unauthorized usage of someone's name and brand are a piracy of that person's life. Perhaps someday you will experience it and you will have a different opinion.

In conclusion. I have been part of the nightclub industry for 26 years. I worked at every position including being a DJ for 15 years. I would never use the name of my employers to gain financially without their consent. If there was an event that I was contracted at that used the name of my employer without their consent, I would refuse to perform. I would not break that trust. I would turn around get on a plane and high tail it back home. These are my beliefs. It is what has gotten me this far. I believe in them strong enough to fire my best friend. Even if it kills me inside. Even if the whole world hates me for it. I will stand by my decision. I believe in it as much as I care to write and post in this forum. I write here because it is important to me what every person thinks and feels. If it weren't I would not go thru such great effort to create places where people can dance and be happy. It is the reason why I was a DJ and it is the reason why I exist.

This will be my last post concerning this matter. Time will decide where our relationship with Edgar takes us. For now I think I speak for both of us when I say leave us alone to deal with our situation. We never had a problems before and I am sure we will manage somehow.

Thank you for your post.

LP.

Louis,

I am not one of the Space bashers, I applaud your commitment to brining in big name DJ's. I simply dont like the space (low ceilings inparticular) or the crowd (bordering on seedy)

As a platoon leader in Desert Storm, I have more experience in being responsible for peoples lives than you could imagine.

As a buisness owner I understand the business aspect too.

And I agree with you on quite a bit of what you said in your posts.

But I do have one question.

Why did you choose the name Space for your club?

Theres some story about a pot and a kettle that I think may be relevent. I'll try to remember it.

Here we go agian Luis, well here you are talking the bullshit again about using trademarks of names and logos. How did you really come up with your club's name. From what I could remember isn't there a Club Space in Ibiza, what Luis you couldn't come up with a better name. Like you said why didn't you get on a plane and head high home. Luis man I'm a space regular and I have no complains about Space but please don't come here talking the house of shit in trust and loyalty cause you FOR SURE can not back it up. You don't care about your people coming to Space the only shit you care is MONEY. So here you come using "Club Space". What you're not creative enough to come up with a good name for you club so you come and use someone else's club name, thats very creative. So now you come and fire Edgar, cause someone used the Space logo on a flyer, after everytime someone in here bad mouths Space and who steps up and backup space, the one and only Edgar V. and here you are talking about loyalty. Luis where are you when people talk BullShit about Space. I don't see you paying Edgar on his off time to diffend space in here. I wonder why Edgar steps up into a post after he see the bullshit people are talking about Space. Positive things just comes out of Edgar's mouth and here you are talking about loyalty. How loyal can you get with that. Its not his fault if a promoter used the logo, he is getting payed to DJ. For what i could remember Luis back in the days in your Madjack And Bar609 you use to have all ages parties right, like you have sometimes at Space on Thursdays. Well i remember a bunch of Promoters by the name PLAYERZ doing parties both Bar609 and Madjacks. Luis did you even see there logo good, isn't there logo the same logo from Prefecto Records I didn't see you say "No you cannot come in here cause thats Perfecto Records logo" what do you say about that. I guess money is more important then loyalty.Luis post something in here when you can back it up. Cause for sure you cannot back up anything you have said in here.

Peace

Oldskool

Originally posted by spacious

This will be my last post concerning this matter. Time will decide where our relationship with Edgar takes us. For now I think I speak for both of us when I say leave us alone to deal with our situation. We never had a problems before and I am sure we will manage somehow.

Thank you for your post.

LP.

Okay .. Final comments from me; on this matter. In life we sometimes make unwise choices. the true test, is to rise above those unwise choices, and become wiser.. I hope you and Edgar can work this out; he's a talent not worth loosing..

talk about ripping off names and logos??????????

wow !!

talk about loyalty??????????

wow!!

Louis you need to lecture yourself then.

everyone knows im one of the biggest Space fans here ive been clubbing pretty consistent since about '93 .

CLUB SPACE MIAMI ......close to Space Ibiza (only the most popular club in the world no biggie)

many people i know for certain thinek its affiliated with it or think they are the same owners.

now you have this catchy slogan .."we love fridays at Space"

hmmm i think the slogan at Space ibiza is something like "we love sundays at Space"

but wait !!!!!!

double standard?

and loyalty....i have seen and talked to more ex employees of yours all over clubs from managers, bartenders, promoters, and who now seem succesful in other venues and all tell me youll backfire your sibling to make a buck !!

since you are making a hefty change i think you should hire a good Public relations firm to do some of the talking and representing.

cuz every time you open your mouth you dig your self lower and are more hated.

:blown:

See Beyondo, you play nice and people say nice things back.

Anyway, you are right, a lot of people ask me "Space? Isn't it owned by the people from Space Ibiza?"

I remember once they even had a Space Ibiza banner dangling out on the patio as some sort of cross-promotion.

Some people even think Louis P. owns both venues!

Though I know for a fact that Space Ibiza is totally OK with Space Miami, as both owners have visited each others' venues.

We've known that since the beginning, Marco.

But to the average clubgoer out there, who maybe hits the scene once or twice a month (as opposed to the CP average of twice a week...) Space Ibiza and Space Miami *could* be related...if they even know about Space Ibiza at all...I've brought 'non-scene' friends with me when I go CD shopping, and I remember one time when a friend picked up a Space Ibiza CD and said, 'Did Space change it's logo?'

Don't expect everyone to be as informed as the CP population. Besides, if everyone was a club expert, where would that leave people like you and I? :) We'd be lost in the noise!

Just to sum this all up.. Luis.. dude... I respect your "protectiveness" of your club and the value behind it's reputation and something as petty as it's name! After reading your post.. your pissed off about the use of the Space name in another country... THat's just idiotic!!! Not that you are on top of stuff like that because that is your livelyhood, but to fire a dj that was simply "getting theirs" by getting booked at a club in ANOTHER COUNTRY (whose promoter is really to blame)is as stupid as some publicity stunts to get on MTV!!! I agree with Bruce; now Edgar is responsible to proof any and all material a promoter puts on their flyer??? And the BEST hole you dug yourself was when you said:

But what would a Space event be without Space DJs and personnel?

So where was Edgar working when this all went down???? :o:confused: Wasn't he considered a Space DJ and/or Space personell??? Was he, or was he not one of your MOST VALUABLE employees at the time, or at least one of your most proud and loyal!!! When people that don't frequent your club hear the name Space, they can immediately associate the name Edgar V.!!! I've only been to your warehouse a couple of times (to see Ivano outside), but if I were to be interviewed for the D'Vox 100% interview thing, if the question "Space" came up, my QUICK response would be "Edgar V."!!!

It's one thing to feel threatened by the possibilities of a Fuel or Living Room taking your "livelyhood", but to fire Edgar because you feel threatened by the use of the Space name in a different hemisphere!!!!????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Luis, do you remember The Cameo, Union Bar, Van Dome, Les Bains, Le Loft, Bash, Warsaw, The Spot, Velvet, Glam Slam, Amnesia, Groove Jet, Liquid, Shadow Lounge, Bar Room and Space... oops... sorry! It's funny how they were all once on top of the world and now they're gone! I think I saw DT, Sasha, Deep Dish, Digweed, Fatboy Slim, Oscar G, PVD, David Morales and all the rest at one or all of these now extinct venues and my experience tells me that if Space closed tomorrow, we'd see them somewhere else!

I've tried to be as unbiased as possible myself but something doesn't sound right!

Does O.J. Simpson have something to do with any of this??? Cuz shit don't sound right!!!

I still think Edgar should come to CP and "take the stand" as well. Even though this is "personal" shit, you have almost waived any and all of those rights the day you opened your venue and use this board as a way to promote your club!!!

Louis nobody is in your corner on this one buddy......

if i were you id keep my mouth shut because your hole keeps getting bigger.

he doesnt care though guys...hit em where it hurts .DONT GO>

how can he pay PVD 15 grand if 600 people show up??

he has plans to open up a "bigger better Space" next door in years to come. very arrogant

W O W !!!!!!!

I wishj you guys could here yourself talk!!

coming from an outside/ another state (NYC)

This SHt sounds crazy!!!!!!

I was looking forward to bringing a party/moving there but do I still go??

Where were you when Twilo closed???

is space right for miami? I am wondering ?

this does not sound good for an industry that is striving for rewcognition/ respect ( Mixer, muzik, mixmag)

Keep me informed please, I mean if I'm leaving Sound Factory for this tpye of stuff I'm not Going!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by xtreme-1

W O W !!!!!!!

I wishj you guys could here yourself talk!!

coming from an outside/ another state (NYC)

This SHt sounds crazy!!!!!!

I was looking forward to bringing a party/moving there but do I still go??

Where were you when Twilo closed???

is space right for miami? I am wondering ?

this does not sound good for an industry that is striving for rewcognition/ respect ( Mixer, muzik, mixmag)

Keep me informed please, I mean if I'm leaving Sound Factory for this tpye of stuff I'm not Going!!!!!!!!

You have "the politics of dancing " (love that song), and now "the politics of clubbing ". Everyone has his or her pet peeves. But all the politics aside, there is something for everyone, in Miami. Come on bro, this sh*t is not that crazy; I must have read like 20 threads when twilo was closed. :) Trust me when I say Space isn’t any Sound Factory. Apples and oranges my friend. So pack your bags, and get ready for the Sun and Fun that is Miami..