Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Max Graham Rocked Nj Last Night!

For everyone who came out to see Max Graham last night, Max threw down a slamming set of "real"progressive house grooves that left no one who was there unmoved.

A big shout out and mad props to Mr. Bon Solid for having the balls, the cajones, to book a DJ who is: A)Not part of the NJ clique. B)Whose sound is not necessarily well known in NJ C)Pulling it off successfully!

It was a good crowd. What do I mean by that? It was not packed at HB last night, but there was enough people that the space felt good, but still leaving you room to dance.

There were a lot of good looking women. I saw at least half a dozen model types jumping to the groove, along with the usual collection of NJ club hotties.

The crowd that turned out for this event came with open minds. The first 2-3 songs of Max's set most people were bobbing their heads, checking the vibe. By the fourth and fifth tracks they were moving to the dancefloor. By the sixth or seventh track they were going off and getting down to some hard, tough, slamming progressive grooves that did not let up for the rest of the night.

What the Jersey crowd did not get last night were: A) Any Whitney, Amber, Deborah Cox, Cher, Kim English, Kim Sozzi, Reina, Tamia, or other KTU diva cuts. B)No Digital Allies C)JP or Jr. remixes. D) Nothing that 90% of them were familiar with.

And you know what: They were digging it!

Trendroid layed the foundation for the night with some nice dark deep house grooves, so they also deserve a shout out and props for being part of what I hope is a new scene in NJ.

Next up; DAVE RALPH FEB 8th, 2002.

yeah max rocked it pretty good, although most of the people there were like uh what is this shit I could care less me and my crew know what it is pure progressive house mmmm, yeah trendroid is rocking I am going to see them on NYE at centro fly for $30 best deal in nyc for that night then hit howells at vinyl around 5 or so :cool:

I BEG TO DIFFER.......

NOT THE PLACE OR THE TIME TO PUT A DJ LIKE THAT IN HUNKA BUNKA.....

I APPRECAITE GOOD MUSIC AS WELL AS TALENTED DJ'S, BUT MAX SHOULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR A BIGGER CROWD, WITH A BETTER SYSTEM SOMEWHERE IN NY WHERE MORE PEOPLE CAN APPRECIATE HIM.

Originally posted by skylar69

I BEG TO DIFFER.......

I APPRECAITE GOOD MUSIC AS WELL AS TALENTED DJ'S, BUT MAX SHOULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR A BIGGER CROWD, WITH A BETTER SYSTEM SOMEWHERE IN NY WHERE MORE PEOPLE CAN APPRECIATE HIM.

very true that is why I don't see something like this party taking off,I mean you could see max was like wtf is this place the most amount of people on the dance floor at one time was 20 mebbe, hehe but there were plenty of people enjoying this one girl there in all white was going absolutely nuts, along with some kid in a orange twilo shirt :rolleyes: heh

I was there last night and I had a good time. My friends and I all enjoyed the music and we want him to come back. It was defintaly a different night at HB. Hopefully people will get the word out and next time there will be a bigger crowd coming in to hear Max.

Definitaly a good party! Thanks Bon! :D :D :D

I BEG TO DIFFER.......

When and where would that time and place be?

I'm sick of what is going on in NJ musically, aren't you?

If you accept the way things are, then nothing will ever change, right?

If you like DJ's like Max, if you like music that isn't spoon fed to you by KTU, how is this not a good thing?

Yes some people were standing around, scratching their Jersey heads, saying inside their minds, "Where's the Whitney remix, I don't get it?" But by the end of the night what Max was doing had touched all in the room in some way.

That was the important thing that needed to happen.

Many people came not knowing what to expect, knowing only in essence that HB was playing host to a big time Int'l DJ. They were curious, and because of that they got exposed to something for them that was new and different. Some, I'm sure walked away wondering what all the hype was about, but others walked away saying hey that was good, that was different, and I'll go again next time HB has one of these Int'l DJ's I never heard of before.

There is no reason that a NJ club can't book some of the top talent available in the US. Wouldn't you guys like to see :

Sandra Collins

Taylor

Carl Cox

Hybrid

Rabbit In The Moon

Bassbin Twins

and any one of dozens of other talented DJ's and performance artists without having to trek to NYC and deal with $35.00 and up cover charges, $30.00 for parking and $10.00 plus drink prices.

I know that if quality entertainment was being offered in my backyard, I would be going out in NJ 3-5 times a week. (Yes, I am a degenerate clubhead!)

Unfortunately that is not currently what is being offered in NJ. If you guys who complain about how bad the scene is, instead come out support nights like these, the scene will change.

Club ownership and managment care only about one thing: what is profitable. The investment required to open, maintain and promote a club is huge.

If people will come out to watch a monkey play an organ, then that is what club owners will offer as entertainment. It does not matter to ownership and management, as long as people are paying.

So once again it boils down to you guys. Support efforts like this or stay stuck with same lameness you have had for as long I can remember.

It would be good to remember that Los Angeles (The LA in LA RAVER) closes at 2am also. LA plays host to PVD and any other big name you can think of.

Again the scene will only be as good as you, Kandyraver, make it.

I had a good time last night, got to compare notes on the Montreal scene with Max (where I played in August, we both agreed Quebecers know how to seriously party!), and watch a bunch NJ peeps get a little bit more educated, all of which put a big smile on my face!

I know the scene is only as good as you make it, yes La plays host to PVD and others but no they don't close at 2 that is what time the bars have to stop serving liquor but I've been to 1015 and Giant both till 6 in the morning is when the Dj dropped the last beat, and the scene will never be good because those who are educated go to NYC and party at filter 14, centro, vinyl, guernica and other small clubs that cater to the prog house crowd since twilo is now closed(a replacement will be back very soon), I mean if you are a true clubber and you go out for the music who wants to hear a measly 3 hour set ? I mean being a dj a 3 hour set doesn't give a prog dj enough time to build the peaks and bring the crowd up although I have to admit that max did a very admirable job doing so, specially with that horrid system in there

I BEG TO DIFFER.......

first off, with an attitude like that, nj is never gonna change. i for one dont like the idea of having to hear the same ktu shit over and over again.

second, where does it say that max SHOULD have played for a bigger crowd? sure, hes world renoun... but a DJ is a DJ, and a GOOD DJ will always tell you that they dont care whether they play for 200 people or 2000 people.

third, hunka bunka may not have a NYC booming system, but their system is at least a hundred times better than most NJ club systems. 30,000 watts is pretty darn good for a NJ club.

i had a great time. max's set was phenominal. and contrary to some belief, this is going to happen again. nj is going to come out of its musical ice age and this was the beginning. once people realize that this is for real and its not going away i can bet that nj will turn into another place next to nyc where people can hear good innovative music.

Originally posted by kandyraver

NJ's club scene will never flourish with most places closing down at 2 what dj really wants to spin for 3 hours when then can do 5 in the city and get more $$$ ?

max regularly plays axis in boston which has a 2am closing, and not only that but they usually get people out of there at least 10 minutes early.

and what makes you think that a dj wants to do constant 8 hour sets? youd wear yourself out in a month. you're asking for too much. how bout trying to support the beginnings of a good trend? (no pun intended)

i didn't go last night, but im actually pretty interested in going the next time there is an event like that. there is not one negative response on this post, which is a very good thing, it means people really enjoyed themselves and enjoyed the music. djs like max can never play at mediterraneo, because we are a restaurant/nightlounge. but if i promoted clubs like image or metro, from the sounds of it, i would def. bring a dj like max in.

def. let me know when there is another event like this happening again.

Guest bonsolidd

First off I'd like to thank everyone for coming out last night! The crowd was chanting, screaming, clapping, going nuts to every mix and every record!! People at the bars all had the headbob and there fists clinched in the air..simply put.... a great new vibe for HB..... a great new vibe for Jersey! Max Graham Himself had a great time and wants to come back!!! So be prepared Max Graham on the weekened coming soon ohhhhh my!!!! But first Dave Ralph feb 8th baby! Let's do this Jersey!!!! The door has been opened!:D Time to move on! It's time for a true revolution!:D

Originally posted by bonsolidd

First off I'd like to thank everyone for coming out last night! The crowd was chanting, screaming, clapping, going nuts to every mix and every record!! People at the bars all had the headbob and there fists clinched in the air..simply put.... a great new vibe for HB..... a great new vibe for Jersey! Max Graham Himself had a great time and wants to come back!!! So be prepared Max Graham on the weekened coming soon ohhhhh my!!!! But first Dave Ralph feb 8th baby! Let's do this Jersey!!!! The door has been opened!:D Time to move on! It's time for a true revolution!:D

Max Graham was great! And everyone there was so into it I can not even explain! I would go here him again and again.To bad Max is not local and could play more often.:grin2:

Originally posted by Zr0

max regularly plays axis in boston which has a 2am closing, and not only that but they usually get people out of there at least 10 minutes early.

and what makes you think that a dj wants to do constant 8 hour sets? youd wear yourself out in a month. you're asking for too much. how bout trying to support the beginnings of a good trend? (no pun intended)

hmm danny howells does on average a 10 hour set, Danny Tenaglia does 8 hours every week at vinyl, Last time I saw diggers at twilo he went for 10 hours,last time I saw PVD he did 8, Deep Dish for 7, JVM and Lee Burridge 5 each and most of these djs do this on a normal Basis whats the big deal about wanting to party longer ? I mean come on I am just starting to peak at 2 in the morning I don't want to go home :rolleyes:

I was there last night and left at like ONE O'CLOCK!!!! I got there at around 11 and there was two guys and me dancing people started showing up after 12---MY OPINION don't show up that late if you know the dj is going to be spinning good music and bitch about it closing at 2!??!!?

Max was great, BUT I remember being the only chic on the dance floor for most of the night, HONESTLY there was nobody there and ummm nobody was clapping and going crazy, except for a group of 4 guys from Staten Island?!?!?!?

Yes I probably would go back b/c I enjoy music, AND I am not cheap and spend lots of money on going out, however, if I had to pay it would have been pissed!

Originally posted by kandyraver

hmm danny howells does on average a 10 hour set, Danny Tenaglia does 8 hours every week at vinyl, Last time I saw diggers at twilo he went for 10 hours,last time I saw PVD he did 8, Deep Dish for 7, JVM and Lee Burridge 5 each and most of these djs do this on a normal Basis whats the big deal about wanting to party longer ? I mean come on I am just starting to peak at 2 in the morning I don't want to go home :rolleyes:

all im saying is that just because the environment makes certain clubs close early doesnt mean we shouldnt book good name djs. just because max has to play a 3 hour set instead of a 5 or 8 hour set doesnt make it any worse for him or the crowd, and it shouldnt limit any kind of possible booking. personally, if he is in the neighborhood, i dont care if hes playing for 1 hour, or even one record, I WILL BE THERE. period end of story. :)

Originally posted by tizzah508

MY OPINION don't show up that late if you know the dj is going to be spinning good music and bitch about it closing at 2!??!!?

ummm what does this have to do with anything ? no one is talking about getting there late and bitching about it closing at 2

PVD used to spin 3 hour sets at Twilo every other month (2-5am), and so did other headlining DJs. What are you talking about kandyraver? Get your facts straight.

The reason why people are continually bashing HB and other NJ clubs is because of their reputation. The KTU thing is probably the worst thing you can do to the music, but Bon Solidd and others are trying to change that. Give them credit. Don't come off with an attitude like you're too good to go to a NJ club because you can always go to NYC. I know you really want the music to spread and reach everyone...you want to hear quality DJs spin quality sets...and you want a great vibe in a club. But how is all that supposed to happen to NJ clubs when you guys act like hyprocrits and continually critisize how they're so gay?? It's half the DJ, and half the crowd. The two have to work together to make a successful night. You think an amazing DJ will bust out an insane set if no one is dancing...if no one tries to appreciate what he's doing? No, he won't do as well because he needs the interaction with the crowd. That's why DJs like Danny Howells and Danny T are so popular. They interact with the crowd. They party WITH the crowd. So, in order for things to change in NJ, people gotta open their minds, drop the superiority complex, drop the attitude, and enjoy the music. It's about the music, remember?

Whos right? Tizzah is saying the HB that nite was dead while bon solid is saying it was ragin.

In my opinion NJ electronic music population is different from NYc. NYc is a large congregation of northeast electronic music population from 5 different states plus from overseas...

NJ alone is so small for electronic music scene to survive and flourish.. Its not commercially viable and this is y we are gonna b stuck with KTU forever ..

i had a blast at bunka that nite...

although max graham was really good... trendroid kicked ass... id like to see them again...!!!

as for the nj scene... most nj headz dont know shit about music...i think that says enough...

props to bon and bunka for bringing in some awesome music to jersey...

cant wait to check out dave ralph...

<3

.g.

took me a while to get on but im here and you can bash the night all you want i think it was the start of something good to come in the future for this area and the word out there from people i knew that were here had a blast and cant wait for dave ralph on the 8th of february dont bash it if you werent here salteen -- or maybe you were and wont admit you had a good time i dunno

see you all at bunka