Clubplanet Nightlife Community

question for anyone who has the Numark CDN-88

carusomaas11

we'll I want to know if its just the way this model is....or if its specific to the one I have.

Basically 2 things

1) It will increase/decrease the speed of the song on its own. For example...It will register at say 140 BPM...and will decrease on down to 138.5 at some point...the maybe back to 139.5. Basically it never stays put. This obviously sucks when your trying to match beats...even if you dont use the counter. Say you are matched...then all of a sudden youre not anymore because the machine altered the BPM"s up or down causing you to be off. It affects the ability to stay matched for a long period of time. Does anyone else have this?

2) The other is that it seems to "miss" a beat here and there. I dont know how to best explain it...but it almost sounds like a skip but its not really a skip. It seems to just not hit hard on one beat every so often...often enough though thats its noticable after a while.

So I guess I want to know if others are having these problems. If so...is there any way around it? do I have a busted one?

just help:

DO NOT rely on bpm counters, even the best ones are off.

the main reason they change is becuase the peaks & valleys of the soundwave created by the song.

often times a synth or a cymbal will reigister as a kick or snare and throw it off a bit.

my suggestion:

DONT EVEN LOOK AT IT!!

(it may also be that the song is changing speeds..in the case of mp3 burns.)

italianchris....I am using a Numark DM1720X mixer...what about you?

djjoshuacarl1 - I agree with you...I actually dont even rely on the BPM counter. But on the CDN-88....it registers it automatically for you. So even if you arent using it....its constantly automatically registering the BPM....and like you said...if a synth will registers as a snare(probably related to problem #2 above)...it automatically alters the BPM up or down. So...for example...I will cue a song up, match it, bring it in, and after maybe 16-32 counts it will unmatch itself because it is automatically registering the BPM incorrectly...thus altering the actual songs BPM incorrectly, throwing it off.

Is there a way to take off the BPM counter? That would solve the problem....

Any thoughts.....anyone else have these problems?

there are no perfect decks...i know people who have had problems with Denon, numark, and pioneer products...the best is to go with whatever suits your needs and take good care of them

the cmx 3000 looks pretty sweet...it looks like a dual deck cdj1000 with the hot starts and the scratch wheel...i should check that out

i have the 2600 btw, and am very satisfied with it:D

BG

hey guys....update on my situation

1) I've determined that the "misses" thing only happens with key lock on and when I raise the pitch more than 6% in any direction. I've determined that this problem does not occur when not using the key lock at all...or when I use it and dont move more than 6%. I guess the system struggles with key lock. From others I hear the Denon 2600 has the same issue when using the key lock (sometimes).

2) the problem of not staying matched...was my own fault. Basically the way I was matching was as follows. get as close as I could to matched by using my ear (not the BPM)...then when I was very "close" and could tell I needed only to move the pitch slightly to get fully matched...I'd assume the BPM was correct..and try getting exactly matched using the BPM. Now we all know the BPM counter is not accurate on these decks...so basically I was wrong for trying to get exactly matched using it. I've since tried 100% completely not using the BPM counter at all....and instead just fully using the pitch % instead. Doing this I've solved my problem. I stay matched for 60 or even 120 beats most of the time. In fact....I am now off the hook!...lol...just kidding. Anyway I guess I should have taken the advice of many before....dont use the BPM counter!!!...not even a little bit!

Carusomaas