Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ashley Casselle (Liquid Jan 24)

liquidowner

I'm glad you guys like the pick. Lets me know were doing a good job. You guys can thank Drew Bongiorno, Angel and Stuart for Mr Caselle and the bomb I'll be dropping on all you house heads for WMC in a day or two. These guys work their ass off for me as well as the others in the office to enable me to make music lovers like yourselfs happy. GA2-- I need you to pm me your list or name you want left on the list and I'll take care of you as well. There has been mention on this board sometimes that it's just a few computer nerds who make up this site.I just would like to let you know that I have met about 25 of you members at this point and spoke to several others and nothing could be farther from the truth. I think it's an impressive assembly of music lovers and people of good character who care about their music and clubbing community. And to a club owner, It gives me incentive to make the masses happy. And by the way, While only a few actually respond to the threads many others read and acknowledge them, For Example: for my new years offer over 100 names were on the clubplanet list and since I posted the Cassell invite-15 of you have PM me with an additional 39 names for that night. It makes me happy that I have provided you with a place to party that makes it worth your while to come out and have a good time. You guys that are going, Let me know how your night went and look me up when you are there. I'm more than happy to meet each and everyone of you and make your aquaintence. Thank you, Your friend, Billy

"Have your friend JZ give us a call!" I wish it were that easy! Maybe we can call up Kinetic records, or leave a message @Bedrock for him, or better yet call Sasha's cell phone and ask to speak w/ his protoge'!

*Here's a question: has James Zabiela even started spinnin' stateside?????

just a little insight on james zabiela for those that have never heard of him.... courtesy of his artist management website, excession.

big-james.jpg

Age isn't everything. Still just 21 years old, Southampton-based James Zabiela was introduced to the world of acid house through his father, who worked in a local record shop and would come home with armfuls of early house and techno. It was a time of innovation and invention and understandably, James was hooked instantly. "I can still hear the thumping through my bedroom floor!" remembers James fondly.

When James was fifteen, he got his first-ever gig spinning in the school disco "I remember looking across the school assembly hall to see my entire year going crazy to House of Pain's 'Jump Around'!" he recalls. A year later he gained a work experience placement in the same record shop that his Dad had worked in and it wasn't long until he was offered a job there as a stock vinyl buyer. Like father, like son? The phrase could've been coined for Zabiela's career.

Of course, it was vinyl addiction from then on in. Through the shop, James was introduced to various promoters and went on to play for local clubs including Menage a Trois as well as warming up for Paul Oakenfold on three occasions at the cavernous Club Ikon in Southampton. But James was interested in a more diverse sound than trance with a capital 't' and found it hard to play his breakbeat-flavoured beats to local crowds, so as 'a way in' he decided to enter Muzik Magazines prestigious bedroom bedlam competition - and won.

But fame doesn't come without sacrifice and the editorial team at Muzik would only let him win if he cut short his flowing locks. Keen to see just how dedicated James was, it was a small price to pay for impending stardom. He cut his hair the next morning - much to the chagrin of his girlfriend, who refused to speak to him for a week! "This is one winner who is seriously going places," said Muzik journalist Ralph Moore.

This was a great boost to his confidence and inspired him into working harder to promote his DJing career. So he started going to more & more events, meeting people & handing out those trusty mixtapes he'd done. While at Bedrock in London James met Lee Burridge, one of his great influences, who took the time to listen to the tape. He too was hooked. "His style is diverse, interesting & technically skilled. Blurring the line between house and breakbeat, he encapsulates all the skills that a new DJ should bring to the job." Lee invited James to play at his own Breaks night along with DJ Hyper & Craig Richards at Bar Atlantis. Since then James has played there every month since, even luring the likes of Matthew 'Bushwacka!' B to check out the lad. Word was spreading.

Inevitably, James was DJing in London more than ever with esteemed gigs at Laundry and the Muzik Magazine parties alongside the likes of Justin Robertson, Hybrid and Danny Tenaglia. Even John Digweed took the time to call him up, offering James a slot at Bedrock. And he's been asked back on several occasions since, as well as DJing for the Daliparade in Istanbul. America must be around the corner. As career paths go, this was nigh on perfect.

Of course, any DJ with something to prove has to prove their skills in the studio - and James is no exception. Working with studio partner Lee Mintram - acclaimed engineer and Catskillz artist Feature Cast - he's already squeezed a track onto Tony Thorpe's Nu-Skool Breaks LP and has various projects forthcoming including his own projects as 'Offworld Colony & Spidermite' and a progressive remix for the much-vaunted 'Niche Recordings'.

And just as James' feet were about to float back to earth, the phone call of his career came out of nowhere. Thanks to a gentle prod from Lee Burridge, one of his tapes was heard by Tyrant co-hort and superstar DJ Sasha, another of James' all-time musical heroes. Within the month, James was offered a place on Sasha's team at Excession Management, joining a roster that includes Lee, Sander Kleinenberg and Welsh breaksters Hybrid. And it was a good thing they did - he hadn't slept a wink for over a week. "This is the best thing for my music career so far," he said, toes still on cloud nine. On this form, 2001 will be astounding.

2002 will be even more astounding if someone books this kid to play in the US. He's a pot of gold!