Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Hyper (Bedrock Breaks) interview

from Xpander.nl

by justin blum

In 2001, breaks had started to make noise on the music scene. In 2002, critics are saying breaks will be a huge part of dance music this year. Before this genre was going to be the next 'BIG THING', John Digweed was supporting this genre and DJ Hyper was playing and producing this type of music. This month will see the release of a new compilation series from the Bedrock family, DJ Hyper 'Bedrock Breaks'. You can catch DJ Hyper as a resident DJ at Bedrock nights in London and in Brighton. Read on and see what Hyper has to say about his most recent mix CD, touring and more...

You have just finished compiling & mixing the first double mix CD for Bedrock Breaks. With this double CD, were you trying to capture a typical set from your performances at Bedrock? Or is it a combination of something else?

"It's a combination of the more dance floor aspect of my Bedrock sets and a more laidback chill out mix to fit what I play at Tyrant or at after hours. A lot of stuff that I think people need to be hearing from the Breakbeat scene."

Bedrock is known as a 'progressive' label. In your opinion, do you see other labels jumping on the breaks phenomenon? What positive things might come out of this? What negative things might come out of this?

"Loads of people will be at it as soon as they smell money. John Digweed has been supporting breaks in his club now for two years though, he's been in it for a while. The up side is that more people will get to hear the music and the down side is that if too many people are on it, a backlash may occur and the scene may get rinsed out."

You are about to tour the US in support of your CD. What cities have you been/are you going to be laying your sound?

"I've been to Daytona Beach (Florida), Juggarnauts (Miami), Charleston SC, Philadelphia (tbc), Buzz (DC), San Diego (Ultra), Vancouver, Spundae (San Fran), Spundae (LA) and will go to Madison WI (Jan. 23rd), Relode's Shattered (Chicago, Jan. 24th), Toronto (a rave, Jan. 25th), Macon Ga (a rave, Jan. 26th)."

It is interesting to note that in a past interview you commented that Sasha is a god. Now, Sasha might be considered a 'progressive 'DJ, but I must admit, I have heard that guy lay down some of the nastiest breaks ever to hit the decks at Twilo. Are you influenced by Sasha? Ever plan to do some production work with him?

"I'd love to, but I'm not sure he'd be up for it :-) He was one of the first DJ's I heard who blew my head of and he's just maintained an enigma by not doing too much press, etc. and maintained a quality."

If I am correct, this is your second commercially released CD. The first was 'Y3K'. Please distinguish the difference between that mix CD and your

current CD, 'Bedrock Breaks'.

"I have done two Y3K compilations now and this Bedrock Breaks compilation is my first double CD so it's allowed me to add lots more interesting music on it including loads of Electro which plays a big part in my Tyrant sets."

Your best gig to date? Why?

"Every month at Bedrock is a winner! I love that club and the vibe in there is excellent. I've really enjoyed playing in Orlando as the vibe is very similar at Tab u as to Bedrock and it was also on a Thursday. Most recently I did the whole 5 hours in the backroom at Tyrant and it was the most exciting and enjoyable gig for ages."

You have set up 'Kilowatt Recordings'. The first release comes from Nick Muir & John Gray aka MinuteMen. What is the goal of the label? What other releases are lined up?

"Minuteman have had to change their name to 'Fatliners' and their first release 'Lo-Life' comes out through Kilowatt on 14th Jan, it is also included on the Bedrock Breaks album. Fatliners will be doing an album next year and Terminalhead are signing for an album due out mid 2002. Lastly I've signed a new artist 'Stir Fry' who is also The Light and PFN. His first release is 'Breakin On The Streets' which has been included on the Bedrock album as well and will be out late Feb. It includes a remix from False Prophet aka PMT. Stir Fry will also do an album for Kilowatt and is currently working on it in LA."

What are your goals for your solo production career?

"Get to work on a project this year and shop the starts of an album."

How did you & Dylan Rhymes have a project going? What are the future plans for the both of you as production partners?

"Me and Dylan met through Meat Katie to do singles for his 'Whole 9 Yards' label. He is working on more House oriented stuff for 'JBO' at present and I've been working with someone else doing a couple of remixes."

Any last comments?

"See you on the road somewhere I hope. Bedrock Breaks is coming to America and I can't wait!"