Jump to content
Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
scratchapella

boo 6

Recommended Posts

stuckonearth's annual boo party this april. go to www.stuckonearth.com

i usually hate massives, but the lineup is sooo tempting. . ..

Main Room-

Richie Hawtin

Derrick May

Bad Boy Bill

DJ Dan

Donald Glaude

Christian Smith

Misstress Barbara

The Advent *LIVE*

-Trance/ Progressive Stage -

Tall Paul

Christopher Lawrence

Max Graham

Scott Henry

Micro

Spacegirl *LIVE*

DJ X-Dream

Matthew Xavier

Pleasurehead

-House Stage -

Derrick Carter

Roger Sanchez

Paul Johnson

Roy Davis JR

Charles Feelgood

Onionz

Nigel Richards

Scott Richmond

Johnny Fame

-Drum And Bass Stage-

DJ Rap

J-Majik

Bailey

SS W/ MC Warren G

Freaky Flow W/ MC Flipside

DB

Odi

Kazpa w/MC Posi-d

Kech

Reid Speed

Atray-u

Sierra

-Hip Hop Stage-

KRS-1

Slick Rick

Das Efx

Black Sheep

Tony Touch

Evil Dee

Butta L

Kech

Sierra

DJ Orion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 8 acts listed for the main room. Unless the party is 16+ hours or some of the sets are really short (to give more time to Richie Hawtin, Mistress Barbara, and Derrick May), what's the fucking point? I wish I was organiziting some of these fucking things. There's be at most 3 main acts and they'd all do at least 3 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by vicman

its 12 hours long, but dividing that by 8-9 djs would result in 1:15 sets...hmmmmm......what were these people thinking?

What someone once explained to me about these massives is that promoters book all these people for short sets just so that people see the fliers and see all the names and are likely to find a few DJs that they want to hear. It draws a bigger crowd just based on that and thus more money for the people putting on the production. Like I look at the list and I say, "Ooooh, Hawtin, My Baby's Momma, May, Christian Smith, The Advent, Derrick Carter, Roger Sanchez, Freaky Flow... wow." But since I'm always conscious of set lengths that's always the next question I ask. I guess most people don't question the whole short set thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i kinda want to disagree. . . i don't like them for their size and all the busted shit going on. . .but about the short sets. . .it's not so bad. . .actually, what's good about having all those talented names next to each other is hearing them all play w/each other. sometimes you'll get peeps tag teaming, or to hear how misstress barbara is going to take the crowd/music right after rino cerrione finishes up. . .it's a differnt type of set, shows versatility. . . i will possibly going, i haven't been to a huge festival/massive in a looong time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

i kinda want to disagree. . . i don't like them for their size and all the busted shit going on. . .but about the short sets. . .it's not so bad. . .actually, what's good about having all those talented names next to each other is hearing them all play w/each other. sometimes you'll get peeps tag teaming, or to hear how misstress barbara is going to take the crowd/music right after rino cerrione finishes up. . .it's a differnt type of set, shows versatility. . . i will possibly going, i haven't been to a huge festival/massive in a looong time

I haven't been to many large events so maybe I'm not one to judge, but 1:15 just does not seem like enough time to me. The last big thing I went to was starscape last year and the sets were 1:30. It wasn't so bad, but I wanted more. Maybe I need to let go of the New York club mindset of wanting 6 hour sets and shit. It would be cool if all the techno DJs' sets flowed right into each other, or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wonder how the promoters of the event can afford to have all of these names at once, or what type of profit the turn.. i mean wouldnt it be cheaper to have 1 dj spin for 6 hours instead of having 4 spinning during that same 6 hour time slot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yo. . .i know we've gottne used to the idea of the "shady promoter" or "shady investor" but some people truly still do it to bring quality music and share it w/everyone. . .to have fun. . .throw a good party. . .it's not always about turning profit. . .i've know plentey of people satifsied with zerio profit or even losing money on an event, as long as people said they had a good time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

i've know plentey of people satifsied with zerio profit or even losing money on an event, as long as people said they had a good time

I suppose that's true. That's the impression I get from the Ultraworld crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

yo. . .i know we've gottne used to the idea of the "shady promoter" or "shady investor" but some people truly still do it to bring quality music and share it w/everyone. . .to have fun. . .throw a good party. . .it's not always about turning profit. . .i've know plentey of people satifsied with zerio profit or even losing money on an event, as long as people said they had a good time

but then they need to get the $$ from somewhere else besides the event itself, or they contract the DJ's through some other medium....i mean not that I wish there wouldnt be more of these people that might sacrifice alot of $$ so people will have a good time, but these things cost $$$ and if your losing it each and everytime you have one of these events, then your going to be deep in the red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

i've know plentey of people satifsied with zerio profit or even losing money on an event, as long as people said they had a good time

Yeah, but those same people can't afford to do that for long. Which means they can't keep those parties going. Considering how much money and time it takes to throw a good party, I doubt anyone would be that charitable for any extended period of time unless they start inking the black on the balance sheet. Other people's good times don't pay the bills. And it may make them feel all warm and tingly inside, but when the bill collectors come, you can't pay them with checks from the Good Time Bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Kuro

I suppose that's true. That's the impression I get from the Ultraworld crew.

The Ultraworld crew is all about making money AND showing people a good time. The difference is that the Ultraworld people will take a loss on a party here and there, and won't care as long as people have a good time. But in the long run, they know that as long as they throw good events, people will come and they'll make money. They're not spending gobs of money on an event knowing they'll lose money to be charitable to all the nice partiers out in clubland. They're willing to take a loss on one event because they know sometimes it's more important to throw a kickass event and take a loss for marketing purposes. To get their name out. It's not charity or niceness, just good business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by vicman

Build it and they will come....

Build it, market it and they will come...and come again....

I saw that ad on the Metro last week

I came up with that tag line. But I was referring to multiple orgasms. That company just stole my phrase and modified it to suit their own needs. I'm suing them for copyright infringment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by shadygroovedc

The Ultraworld crew is all about making money AND showing people a good time. The difference is that the Ultraworld people will take a loss on a party here and there, and won't care as long as people have a good time. But in the long run, they know that as long as they throw good events, people will come and they'll make money. They're not spending gobs of money on an event knowing they'll lose money to be charitable to all the nice partiers out in clubland. They're willing to take a loss on one event because they know sometimes it's more important to throw a kickass event and take a loss for marketing purposes. To get their name out. It's not charity or niceness, just good business.

I don't think it's all just niceness. But I don't think it's all business either. I think that some of it is caring about the scene or whatever you want to call it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×