Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How many of you dig turn-tabilism (Scratch artists in the world of dance music)

beatz

Just curiouse. Cuz i know it's a huge leap from the world of guido dance music and shit. HOW MANY OF YOU LIKE TURNTABILISM? (Or just straight up trip-hop like NINJA TUNES, DJ SHADOW, DJ VADIM, KID KOALA etc.) Is there still room for this sound in NY?

We had Darryl Hell as our guest DJ last week for Fun House. His style was definitely impressive to watch, but it was a little awkward for most people to dance to. It was like a blend of big distorted breakbeats and industrial turntablism. My jaw was on the floor watching him scratch these demented beats, but I've always felt that style is more fun to watch than trying to dance to, so I don't know if that sound will ever get much recognition other than at DJ battles.

. . . . Turntablism is the acme of DJ skill . . there is no higher . . . it's one thing to throw on records . . it's another thing to mix them together to make a coherant set . . . but to take multiples of records at the same time and seemlessly mold them into a intricate symphony of sound is a level that most Disk Jockeys will only dream of attaining . . .

. . I will agree that it's not for dancing . . it's for turning every person in the place into a neck craning trainspotter . . . in a good way of course . . .

DJ WOOL will have a home every Wednesday starting

on the 20th with Miss bliss in the East Villiage..

Go ask her for the dealio!

KID KOALA rocked PS1 last summer..

If any of you saw that you know

How sick turntabilism can be..

But there are SOME scratch artists that

can throw a prty without 100% tricks and

get people dancing as well...

WOOL is one of them.