Clubplanet Nightlife Community

FUNKIN It UP WITH Afrika Bambaataa & Breakdancers @ FUN! (MUgz review)

WOW! I haven't heard so much Funk, Electro-breakbeat hip Hop

and turntablism since last I watched Ozone pop and lock on

"Breakin" The Movie.

What Can I say! This party's a gem! A true NY City mutha "FUNKIN" GEM! Fun in itself is a great space. But Tonight they

redefined FUNK/Hip Hop/Breaks/Turntabilism and D&B

in a way that I haven't seen done in this City in maaany many years.

attachment.php?s=&postid=661686

Projections of Breakdancers and turntabilists jumped and danced on every

wall as FUN was transported into a house of BREAKDANCING, SCRATCHING,

MCs AND AFRIKAA ZULU NATION! Kicking it off tag team style was DJ Pool(from the Wicked crew) I-CUE n MADNESS laying down

some Intelligent hip Hop D&B .

Scratching and melting into several genres (From Breaks to Down tempo to straight up Hip Hop and two step)

And here I though I hated two step. I just never really heard the good shit before! The kinda shit that's mixed into "Acido de Bass" and "Get your freak on"and makes people breakdance!

Which is exactly what DJ KOOL HERC did with a wicked two step set that redefined the genre in my book. Good shit..

LaterTC Islam set up the night with straight up "Raga/Jump up" Drum and bass "Ghetto Sky" style. And could you believe the mother fucker's actuallygreat on the decks. (Which was a relief from having to hear him MC all nightlike in the old Jungle Sky days @ the cooler)

attachment.php?s=&postid=661679

BUT THE NIGHT BELONGED TO Afrika Bambaataa !Ripping into a naaasty set of FUNK filled electro-hip-hop and cosmic breaks that only he knows how to mix. Let

Me just tell you that I've NEVER EVERRRR Seen FUN go

Nuts like that before!

Breakdancers battled.

ravers stomped..

hipsters swayed..

and Hip Hop headz bobbed their heads..

It was amazing to watch a legend school the youth

and witness Breakdancers take over the floor with

as much enthusiasm as you'd see in the old school

Breakdancing videos like "Electric Boogaloo" and

"street Fight".

attachment.php?s=&postid=661678

Bambaataa ripped through a full hour of mind melting

sounds so crazy that words could not describe what I heard.

(try mixing "In the Jungle the lion sleeps tonight" with breaks,

scratching and Planet rock leading into techno!.) Siiiick shit.

All the time Images of Old school ZULU NATION Videos

where playing in the background courtesy of the FUNK TAXI

VJs that synched images to the music.

I Left before Dara went on..

(But let's face it once you've heard

Dara once you've heard him about

as good as he gets)

Great seeing Loch, Peg (Finally we meet)

Tilly and sis, Hacker and Future Phunk

getting down.

BEFORE I LEFT, HOWEVER,

I HAD A BRIEF EPIPHANY WHEN I LOOKED

UP FROM DANCING AND SAW THE ENTIRE FLOOR

FILLED WITH RAVERS, HIP-HOP HEADZ AND

ELECTRO-BREAKBEAT NERDS ALL DANCING:

attachment.php?s=&postid=661690

"THIS IS WHAT THE REAL N.Y IS ALL ABOUT!

NO DRESS CODES. NO ATTITUDES,BLACK, WHITE,

ASSIAN, LATIN, YOU NAME IT...ALL TOGETHER

TO LOVE THE MUSIC."

I think Fridays Has found a new home for Mugwump.

It's about godamn time!.

Ok Maudy, look I'm serious now. You don't need me write reviews anymore. I officially retire. Sounds like this was the party of the year so far and you wrote the review of the year. Not every day does anyone has an epiphany @ a party, but u did, and it shows in the review. Tight pix 2, of course. Sad fact is you have to be in the biz pretty much to see as wide a variety of music as u do which is why I think you should write for mixer or somewhere in print. Though it's good reading yer stuff here too.

Gee thanks Karl.

(Come out next Friday)

Here's a little 411 for all of you that may not know about the grandfather of Hip-hop.

Afrika Bambaataa

407958.B.jpg

*As a teen in the mid-1970's, he was part of the notorious Black Spades gang. Founding Hip-hop saved him, and many others,  from a life on the streets.

* Afrika Bambaataa named himself after a Zulu chief. The name means "affectionate leader". The film Zulu,  which depicted the battle between British troops and the Zulu tribe in 1879,  inspired him to form what we know as the Zulu Nation.

* The Zulu Nation was originally called "The Organization."

* He began DJing in in 1976. His massive collection included 25 crates.

* His musical tastes are eclectic and run the gamut from rock to r&b to African to Latin, calypso, techno and classical.

* He is the first rap artist to officially collaborate with Godfather of Soul, James Brown.

* He appears in the documentary film The Show.

* In 1982 Bambaataa released "Planet Rock" on Tommy Boy Records. The song was a funkdified, danceable re-working of "Trans-Europe Express" originally performed by German techno pioneers Kraftwerk. This was the same year he also took part in the first European hip-hop tour which included Fab 5, Rammellzee, Grand Mixer D.ST. & The Infinity Rappers, Rock Steady Crew, the Double Dutch Girls, and graffiti artists Phase 2, Futura, and Dondi.

YOU CAN WATCH AFRIKA ON THE NEW DOCUMENTARY: "SCRATCH" AND CHECK OUT THE FUNKMASTER ON THE "SCRATCH" TOUR.

~Check out the ZULU NATION PAGE:

---->http://rap.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zulunation.com<-------

Mugz, you've summed up the night perfectly (as usual).

Bambaata was outrageous, as was the entire lineup. It was so beautiful (and democratic/American) to see the South Bronx old school flavor fuse with whiter, electronica beats. The crowd embodied the diversity of the music - black, white, asian, hispanic and everything in between stomping together, cheering, smiling, clapping...

Highlights for me were "The lion sleep tonight" vs. "Planet Rock" and that crazy mix of Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" (a classic tune that also speaks of the unifying force and universality of music). I think Bambaata covered forty years of music history in his set. Brilliant.

A truly classic night that both brought me back to the old days, and reinvented the present. Can a girl ask for more?

Mugz: Soooo glad we finally met. We MUST do this more often.

Deb and Regan: A pleasure. You two are dangerous: two devastating blondes, all kicking it to the unsuspecting males. ;):tongue: Deb - I don't think you stopped smiling and bouncing all night. Love it!

thehacker: As always, it was wonderful to see you. Let's lobby for Eric B. next time. ;) Maybe we'll even get Rakim in there for a reunion ("I came in the door, I said it before..."). Or, Terminator X maybe? Hmmm.....

phuturephunk: Sorry we didn't get to chat more. Next time, next time...

::sigh::

Music, music, music. I'm insatiable, in the best possible way. :D :D

Yo Peg..

can we expect to see you and Lochness

at this party on Fridays more often?

Or the Breaks nights?

I hear the next 5 points

@ FUN is gonna be just as

sick as this one...

ANYONE ELSE THAT

WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO

WITNESS HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO

ADD?

Guest tilly

holy~

Well Mugz you summed it up well but there are a couple of things that I would like to add...

When we walked in at approx 10:30PM the place was not packed and the dj was spinning Missy Elliotts, "get your freak on."

When I asked my sis to come with me, I made a comment that the night would be the marraige of her style and mine .....

upon arrival it was apparent that it was her turn. I have to admit, I was a little nervous that I wouldn't like the music at that point, but after hearing a plethera of styles ranging from hip hop, to two-step, d&b and breakbeats all the while scratching constantly....by the second time they dropped "get your freak on" hours later, I WAS dancin' like I LOVED THAT SONG for FOREVer....

We went into the bathroom and there were free copies of the Scratch movie soundtrack featuring Afrika Bambaataa, Jazzy Jay, DJ Krush, DJ Premier, Rob Swift and the X-Ecutioners, Qbert, Mix Master Mike, Cut Chemist and Numark, DJ Shadow, and Z-Trip....

the cover charge at the door alone paid for my new cd and then I still had an entire evening of entertainment ahead of me.

To add...the MC's were phenominal (my sis really liked one in particular;) ). I've just never experienced ANYTHING like this in my tooooo many years to count of partying. As Peg noted, I was smiling the entire time! I can't even articulate how f-ing incredible watching those three guys feed off of one another up there, dancing, singing, talking, scratching, omg it was insanity!!! I kept doing my famous "I'm too excited for words scream!"

I thought that friday nights were the night to stay home and reflect on the weeks events....um, things seem to be changin here for me in this NYC place.

Great seeing you all there (as noted by previous people above)!!!

It was especially GREAT TO hang out with the infamous Peg FINALLY...Loc can't hide you from me forever!!!

YOu are just as beautiful on the outside as inside!!!

Mugz, what a treat to see your red shirt wearing, mugwump stomping azzz when I walked through the door (icing on the cake)!!!!;)

OH SHIT!

I just remembered something else

I heard that

Drove me nutz!

ARMAND's remix of

"Spin Spin Suger"

From the Sneaker Pimps

mixed into Prince and Fucked up

with turntablism by KOOL HERC!

It actualy made me dig out My old

SNEAKER PIMPS REMIXED CD..

Which I totaly forgot how many

fucking cool Remixes it has.

ONE MORE GEM:

"Rock it" by Herbie Hancock

A CLASSIC DANCE FLOOR PLEASER..

The more I get flash backs

the more I remember the crazy

tracks these catz where

dropping on us.

A MIXED SOUP OF FUNK Newschool vrs

Old school...

SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNN

SSSPPPIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

SUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR

Originally posted by mugwump

Yo Peg..

can we expect to see you and Lochness

at this party on Fridays more often?

Absolutely.

But only if you agree to drink from my water bottle next time. ;)

Another flashback from last night: Chub Rocksta

"Treat me right" (go! go!) "Treat me right" (go! go!)

Originally posted by pkern

Absolutely. But only if you agree to drink from my water bottle next time. ;)

Just as long as you and Loch don't try

to Ruffie me or something..

HEY YOU NEVER CAN BE TOO

CAREFULL THESE DAYS!!

My only regret is NOT having brought

my Camera out of fear of confiscation...

A Picture of Afrika signing Hacker's 808

would have been perfect.

this bambataa guy may be a musical genious, but i find his analytical thinking a bit faulted.

With no major enemies left the United States needed new demons to justify its vast war machine. New enemies were invented in Iran, Iraq, Libya and Muslim fundamentalist groups. Being in control of the world's media it was quite easy to demonise and antagonise them. Swift "reprisals", often against unrelated groups, created new enemies. Thus, the bombing of civilians in Libya was termed a "reprisal" while the sabotage of an American airliner was called "terrorism."

-----------

The Americans have access to high tech gizmos like Cruise Missiles. Their armed forces are deployed all over the planet. Their navy, marines and air force are powerful, disciplined and strongly motivated. Many of its members are fanatics.

-----------

1. The Americans aim is global domination. The fundamentalists only want to prevent this. A denial strategy is far cheaper in blood and treasure.

--------

The US ruling circles believe it is their birthright to rule the planet. They undertook a long and bitter campaign ­ the "Cold War" -- against the former Soviet Union and its allies. They finally broke the Soviet Union by intensifying the arms race. The Soviet economy collapsed under the strain

riiiight.......

Originally posted by tribal

this bambataa guy may be a musical genious, but i find his analytical thinking a bit faulted. [/QUOT]

Yea..

lol*

he's a wack job all right..

ZULU NATION is crazy ideology in my book!

But I go see him for the 80's hip-hop/electro

hystorical persona that he is on the decks..

If he was giving a seminar

I doubt I'd attend.

Hmmmm......:book:

I'm not sure his thinking is that crazy, in some ways at least. Sounds awfully similar to what many European nations think about the U.S. right now.

But whatever. Different opinions make for a healthy democracy. And, the man can spin.

Originally posted by pkern

Hmmmm......:book:

I'm not sure his thinking is that crazy, in some ways at least. Sounds awfully similar to what many European nations think about the U.S. right now.

But whatever. Different opinions make for a healthy democracy. And, the man can spin.

True.

But in "Scratch"

he talks about soundwaves attracting Aliens

from different planets because it is the sounds of

other dimensions and future

interplanetary alien contacts..

He mixes this with his Black/white

thing and comes out sounding like

a black Perry Farrel meets Timothy

Leary...

Very odd in an amusing sorta way..

(Then again this is coming from someone

that is pro-cloning and believes Aliens "The Elohim"

created the human race through DNA manipulation.)