Clubplanet Nightlife Community

portable mp3 players ?

drmoxx

I've had my Rio 800 128mb for about 2 months now and i'm very satisfied with it. After converting my mp3s to WMA i can store about 4.5 hours of music on it. Battery life is awesome, rechargeable. I would highly reccommend this player for a flash memory based mp3 player. I decided against hard drive based players. good luck!

I have an Archos Jukebox 6GB recorder, and it is totally fucking awesome. I wanted something that held alot of memeory so that I could use it as a storage drive and also have alot of different genres/sets/tunes for when i travel. Also, uses Windows Explorer as the file manager, which is a good feature.

I highly recommend this if you're looking for something that stores more than 128MB. You can get the player version for around $249.

BTW: 6GB is equivalent to about 85 CD's worth of music. I have about 45 livesets on mine, and its awesome, something to fit every mood no matter time/place.

idrthrbclbng - How is the recording quality on the Archos?? I have been holding out for the 20 gig Archos recorder which should be on Amazon or Best Buy soon, but I need it to have great recording quality since I would like to start making demos with. Can you give me tell me what you think? Thanks.

Size - it's about the size of a casette walkman, not too big, but it weighs more than a walkman. still totally portable (I take it to work everyday), but it's not palm-sized like the 128 MB ones.

As for recording, to be honest I have not recorded demos or anything like that. I have screwed around with the recording function with a microphone, and the quality is very good. The one bad thing I noticed is that you can hear the hard drive "working" when you play back (which obviously would not make it suitable for demos), but this may have been due to something I was doing wrong or having the unit too close to the microphone.

Before I bought it, I checked several online sites (like eopinions.com, and cnet.com, i think) to read the user reviews. As mentioned above, I wanted a high-storage unit, and these reviews helped me decide to get this over the CreativeLabs 6GB player.

Good luck, and let us know which unit you got and how it is...

HANDS DOWN, COMPAQ IPAQ

I bought one about 2 months ago, its 100 bucks, and 10 bucks extra for a 2 year warranty

the beauty about it is that u can put it on a MINI CDR

which holds exactly 197 megz

so u can burn about 40 tracks to a cd , and a 50 pack spindle costs about 15 bucks,

so all in all its a nice mp3 player, sounds is awsome , and it has a remote,

here are some features

- With mini-CD-R capacity, listeners can enjoy up to 80 songs or 6 hours (180 MB) of audio from a single disk.

- 8-minute Electronic Skip Protection (ESP) for active portable use.

- uses rechargeable batteries

here is the website Read up on it

http://athome.compaq.com/showroom/static/ipaq/pm1.asp

THIS Mp3 PLayer is Great

I looked into the Archos and voted it out. I read some bad reviews on it, but there are also a lot of very satisfied customers. This is my deal... from a technical perspective I do not think that carrying around a functional spinning hard drive is error proof. If you drop that or shock it when the drive is spinning it's over. This is how it works: There is a 2mb cache, which means that the drive copies 2mb of music into the cache, then spins the drive down, plays it out of the cache, spins the drive up, copies....etc etc. I'm dissapointed that they only include a 2mb cache. The less spin up/down cycles, the longer the battery life. Also the more the drive is spinning, the higher the risk of a head crash due to shock. Plus the Archos is a little too heavy for what I want. My Rio weights about 3 oz, Archos around 10 or so. Just my opinion. Good lcuk1