Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lack of life in NYC's music....

Ok here is my deal.

A good friend of mine used to be hardcore into the scene up until about a year ago. Right around the time Twilo closed. He claims that currently the music scene in NY is dead. "it hasnt been cool since like 98 maybe 99.....come on, even vinyl, so many people are there just to hang out, or pick up or whatever it is they THINK they can do..... Much of those people are not going out for the music, rather simply to feel like they have something to do... whether it is about the music or about drugs or whatever they think it is about"

He thinks that the scene has changed drastically, that there isn't any good music left in nyc. Even more so he believes that the majority of the clubbing crowd has given up on the music. According to him the music these days is "too hard, no melody, no emphasis on sound, just energy."

I for one disagree. Granted there are a lot of venues that attract a crowd which do not center around the music. But as long as everyone is there to have a good time it's cool with me. As far as the DJs go, NYC has been lacking a tiny bit compared to a year ago. Most due in part to the closing of Twilo. But it really isn't that bad, the only thing missing is the residencies of several top end DJs like PVD, S&JD, and a few more.

I'd like to hear what the majority thinks.... because this is the kid that got me into trance/house music and clubbing, and it is rather dissapointing to see him in this state of mind.

I'll disagree with your friend. There are alot of parties going on in the city that might not draw thousands of people to them but have good quality music. You just need to open your eyes and look around. Plus alot of the old Twilo dj's will be coming around in the next couple of months.........

it's not so much a "lack of good music" thing as it is a "lack of good venue" thing.

Other than Vinyl, there are no good venues here. that has created a "vibe-void", which can be misconstrued to appear as though the scene is not driven by love of the music.

theres plenty of good music here - especially in the coming months, seems like it's really coming around.

It's just exceedingly unfortunate that sometimes you have to go to a place like Exit to hear it...

Originally posted by idrthrbclbng

it's not so much a "lack of good music" thing as it is a "lack of good venue" thing.

Other than Vinyl, there are no good venues here. that has created a "vibe-void", which can be misconstrued to appear as though the scene is not driven by love of the music.

theres plenty of good music here - especially in the coming months, seems like it's really coming around.

It's just exceedingly unfortunate that sometimes you have to go to a place like Exit to hear it...

I'll disagree about the lack of venue. They are alot of smaller places that pack it in and vibe is GREAT. Granted the dj's arent famous but the music sure is good. I guess it depends on the type of party you look for when you go out.....

Originally posted by nycmuzik2000

I'll disagree about the lack of venue. They are alot of smaller places that pack it in and vibe is GREAT. Granted the dj's arent famous but the music sure is good. I guess it depends on the type of party you look for when you go out.....

I agree with you - there are tons of great small places in the city - i go to many of them on a regular basis, because you get good music with a good vibe.

I also enjoy 'big' clubbing, though. What I'm talking about is when S&D, PVD, AVB, Tiesto, corsten, etc., etc., come into town, it's difficult to enjoy yourself because you have to deal with shitty vibe.

For example - where are S&D going to play in April? this is as yet unknown, and in reality, there isn't a good venue for them to play in at the moment, IMO.

Just my opinion....

it seems like in NY, everything is dark and deep and proggy/techy/trancey/mysterious... there's no crackle, no sizzling, no popping of electricity in the air. It feels like a spark plug that's almost burned out and needs replacing.

Some of that comes from the larger venues closing down.

Some of it comes from a feeling that NYC is in some kind of "interim" period where it's struggling to support and re-establish it's own definitive sound and vibe.

there are a lot of different places in NYC, but it doesn't have a coherent feel to it. It used to.

:-\ I think your friend is right. Feels like the fabric is unravelling.

NYC lost a lot of it's legends when the city cracked down on nightclubs... kind of feels like it shook the foundation of our culture.

Originally posted by cintron

it seems like in NY, everything is dark and deep and proggy/techy/trancey/mysterious... there's no crackle, no sizzling, no popping of electricity in the air. It feels like a spark plug that's almost burned out and needs replacing.

Some of that comes from the larger venues closing down.

Some of it comes from a feeling that NYC is in some kind of "interim" period where it's struggling to support and re-establish it's own definitive sound and vibe.

there are a lot of different places in NYC, but it doesn't have a coherent feel to it. It used to.

:-\ I think your friend is right. Feels like the fabric is unravelling.

NYC lost a lot of it's legends when the city cracked down on nightclubs... kind of feels like it shook the foundation of our culture.

. . . I think it all goes in cycles personally . . . A crowd can only take so much of anything without innovation before becoming bored through over-saturation . . . That's what happened with trance . . . It went from the novel to the routine and the crowds that flocked to it changed as well . . .

. . I can't really comment on the good times in the New York scene, because I wasn't here for it . . but I kinda look at it as the subculture cycle of beats . . . The scene will undoubtedly go from being hardcore (as in the people, not the genre) to the mainstream, cause all the people who are looking in, curiously, from the outside just find the whole allure irresistable . . .

. . . The problem arises when those people end up getting into the scene, and instead of trying to lend themselves to it . . they try to get "it" to lend to themselves . . . Instead of melding into the conventions that it's based on, they attempt to fundamentally change said conventions . . . THAT is where the problem arises . . and that is where the old-skoolers derive their pain from . . .

. . .oh well . . .

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . I think it all goes in cycles personally . . . A crowd can only take so much of anything without innovation before becoming bored through over-saturation . . . That's what happened with trance . . . It went from the novel to the routine and the crowds that flocked to it changed as well . . .

What's up mike?

I have to disagree with you on trance, it's not like it's rock and been around for 50 years or so!! Trance is evolving much like the whole electronic scene. Look at house, how long it's been around and how much it has evolved over the years.

music evolves every day, house and trance included... perhaps your friend hasn't gone along with the evolution or doesn't like what it's become. That does not mean that it's not there anymore. I wasn't in the scene 3 or 4 years ago, though i did listen to the music on occasion, and i would have to say that the music is definitely different, but i like it now and then. I don't even think that styles are the same as it was last year, but it can never be the same or else it becomes repetitive (look at hip hop)

Hopefully your friend can find something to groove to in the near future, coz one less is still a loss to the nightlife

In my opinion the majority of the music is still here, but it has changed over the past few years. The major dissapointment that I see is the lack of several good venues. Especially since SF(no offense) is invading Vinyl after hours. At least this is what I witnessed and have been hearing lately. But as long as everyone is there to enjoy the music it's all good.

Take Twilo for example... it closed because some people who attended were not there for the music. If they were then perhaps overdosing(near dead) or getting all messed up wouldn't have happened. But then again a place that packs 3000 people in during a good night can't exactly stay underground and unknown.

I've been in the scene this year more than last year, but not long enough to know how things were a few years back. Insight from other who have been around for 4-5 years would be most appreciated. Damn I miss the good old days(well, a year ago for me).

On a related topic... does anyone know why PVD's style has changed so much from a few years ago. Do you like this change? I'm referring to his 45rpm, 7 ways, Vorsprung Dyk Tecnic and Out There & Back phase. Thats what got me hooked on PVD, what about you?

In my opinion the majority of the music is still here, but it has changed over the past few years. The major dissapointment that I see is the lack of several good venues. Especially since SF(no offense) is invading Vinyl after hours. At least this is what I witnessed and have been hearing lately. But as long as everyone is there to enjoy the music it's all good.

Take Twilo for example... it closed because some people who attended were not there for the music. If they were then perhaps overdosing(near dead) or getting all messed up wouldn't have happened. But then again a place that packs 3000 people in during a good night can't exactly stay underground and unknown.

I've been in the scene this year more than last year, but not long enough to know how things were a few years back. Insight from other who have been around for 4-5 years would be most appreciated. Damn I miss the good old days(well, a year ago for me).

On a related topic... does anyone know why PVD's style has changed so much from a few years ago. Do you like this change? I'm referring to his 45rpm, 7 ways, Vorsprung Dyk Tecnic and Out There & Back phase. Thats what got me hooked on PVD, what about you?