Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Morning After Pill?

rachel1997

The Morning After Pill is basically like doubling up on the Pill for three days straight. You can take the first dose up to 72 hours after having unprotected intercourse. The side effects would be the same as those for the Pill (since that's what it is)... queasiness probably being the most common.

I've never taken it so that's all I know about it.

Emergency contraception:

The morning-after pill

What is it?

Emergency contraception (also known as the morning-after pill) is a high dosage of the birth control pill. It is recommended to be used after sexual intercourse, over a period of 72 hours, to achieve the goal of preventing or ending pregnancy. There are three different ways birth control pills are currently being promoted for this use: progesterone alone, estrogen alone, or both of these artificial steroids together.

These are the same steroids found in the typical birth control pill.

Where did this idea come from?

The idea of emergency contraception—or a morning-after pill—is based on a theory. Under this theory, if a woman has sexual intercourse and fears she may be pregnant, she can take large doses of birth control pills. If in fact the woman is pregnant when she takes these birth control pills, the high dosage could act to kill her preborn child-a living human being. The only "emergency" in this case is the woman's fear of being pregnant.

There is no such thing as a specific morning-after pill, but rather double doses (or more) of existing birth control pills. Though no testing has been done to confirm the safety of these large doses of birth control pills for women, the Food and Drug Administration has approved this use.

How do emergency contraception/morning-after pills work?

The emergency contraceptive/morning-after pill has three possible ways in which it can work:

Ovulation is inhibited, meaning the egg will not be released;

The normal menstrual cycle is altered, delaying ovulation; or

It can irritate the lining of the uterus so that if the first and second actions fail, and the woman does become pregnant, the tiny baby boy or girl will die before he or she can actually attach to the lining of the uterus.

In other words, if the third action occurs, her body rejects the tiny baby and he or she will die. This is called a chemical abortion.

Abortion is an act of direct killing that takes the life of a tiny human being-a life that begins at fertilization.

Is it safe?

Here are some of the side effects:

nausea

vomiting

infertility

breast tenderness

ectopic pregnancy-can be life threatening

blood clot formation

Emergency contraception also offers no protection against sexually transmitted diseases including AIDS.

There are no long term studies to show whether women will be permanently damaged, or risk such diseases as cancer, from these chemicals being given in such high doses.

Sources:

"A Consumer's Guide to the Pill and Other Drugs," by pharmacist/researcher John Wilks.

"Infant Homicides Through Contraceptives," by pharmacist Bogomir Kuhar; 2nd edition, 1995.

Medical consultant: Stephen Spaulding, M.D. Dr. Spaulding is a board-certified family practitioner whose writings have appeared in a variety of medical journals.

Originally posted by tastyt

The Morning After Pill is basically like doubling up on the Pill for three days straight. You can take the first dose up to 72 hours after having unprotected intercourse. The side effects would be the same as those for the Pill (since that's what it is)... queasiness probably being the most common.

I've never taken it so that's all I know about it.

Yeah...me too...

But queasiness could be a MAJOR side effect...I guess depending on the individual...but it's been known to be pretty powerful.

Originally posted by marcid21

Yeah...me too...

But queasiness could be a MAJOR side effect...I guess depending on the individual...but it's been known to be pretty powerful.

Quite possibly. Once when I forgot a Pill I took two at once (instead of a few hrs apart), and in the middle of the night I had to run to the bathroom cause I thought I was gonna hurl.

But anyway. Personally, I'd say it's worth risking the queasiness- unless you don't mind an unplanned pregnancy being sprung upon you.

Originally posted by phatman

Emergency contraception:

The morning-after pill

What is it?

Emergency contraception (also known as the morning-after pill) is a high dosage of the birth control pill. It is recommended to be used after sexual intercourse, over a period of 72 hours, to achieve the goal of preventing or ending pregnancy. There are three different ways birth control pills are currently being promoted for this use: progesterone alone, estrogen alone, or both of these artificial steroids together.

These are the same steroids found in the typical birth control pill.

Where did this idea come from?

The idea of emergency contraception—or a morning-after pill—is based on a theory. Under this theory, if a woman has sexual intercourse and fears she may be pregnant, she can take large doses of birth control pills. If in fact the woman is pregnant when she takes these birth control pills, the high dosage could act to kill her preborn child-a living human being. The only "emergency" in this case is the woman's fear of being pregnant.

There is no such thing as a specific morning-after pill, but rather double doses (or more) of existing birth control pills. Though no testing has been done to confirm the safety of these large doses of birth control pills for women, the Food and Drug Administration has approved this use.

How do emergency contraception/morning-after pills work?

The emergency contraceptive/morning-after pill has three possible ways in which it can work:

Ovulation is inhibited, meaning the egg will not be released;

The normal menstrual cycle is altered, delaying ovulation; or

It can irritate the lining of the uterus so that if the first and second actions fail, and the woman does become pregnant, the tiny baby boy or girl will die before he or she can actually attach to the lining of the uterus.

In other words, if the third action occurs, her body rejects the tiny baby and he or she will die. This is called a chemical abortion.

Abortion is an act of direct killing that takes the life of a tiny human being-a life that begins at fertilization.

Is it safe?

Here are some of the side effects:

nausea

vomiting

infertility

breast tenderness

ectopic pregnancy-can be life threatening

blood clot formation

Emergency contraception also offers no protection against sexually transmitted diseases including AIDS.

There are no long term studies to show whether women will be permanently damaged, or risk such diseases as cancer, from these chemicals being given in such high doses.

Sources:

"A Consumer's Guide to the Pill and Other Drugs," by pharmacist/researcher John Wilks.

"Infant Homicides Through Contraceptives," by pharmacist Bogomir Kuhar; 2nd edition, 1995.

Medical consultant: Stephen Spaulding, M.D. Dr. Spaulding is a board-certified family practitioner whose writings have appeared in a variety of medical journals.

Wow, that was completely unbiases... :rolleyes:

well, i could've selected a better article, but strip away the bias and there's some useful information there...

Well, I kinda figured you just didn't want to spend an hour looking for a better one. :tongue:

if a woman has sexual intercourse and fears she may be pregnant, she can take large doses of birth control pills.

So I'm guessing that if the morning after pill isn't available then you could take a couple of birth control pills to substitute. It would probably do the same thing, but I'm not sure if over-dosing can be done on b-c pills.

Originally posted by blazinhot

So I'm guessing that if the morning after pill isn't available then you could take a couple of birth control pills to substitute. It would probably do the same thing, but I'm not sure if over-dosing can be done on b-c pills.

I think it's the same as taking two pills a day (the pills from week one) for three days in a row. But don't quote me on that; your doctor would be a better person to ask.

Alot of my friends have taken it before, and I have even taken it....Its perfectly sfae and it is just a stronger form of birth control...Nothing happened to me at all....PM if you need to know more

c.Lo

Originally posted by clo

Alot of my friends have taken it before, and I have even taken it....Its perfectly sfae and it is just a stronger form of birth control...Nothing happened to me at all....PM if you need to know more

c.Lo

..... check your pm's.....

:)

Safe yes, but "nausea" hooooooly shit what an understatement!!!

I puked my guts up the whole next morning, literally crawled to my car for swimteam practice then crawled past the pool, out to the boat and into bed instead because I was GREEN... it was gross. Most miserable day of my life. I had to take it a second time, incidentally, but this time I realized the trick. You eat. A lot. Eat more than ever would have wanted to put in your mouth, and the more nauseous you feel, the more you eat. Seems counterintuitive but it works - makes the sickness go away and keeps the pills down. I even made it through crew practice the next day... so if you gotta do it, prepare to gorge ;)

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Safe yes, but "nausea" hooooooly shit what an understatement!!!

I puked my guts up the whole next morning, literally crawled to my car for swimteam practice then crawled past the pool, out to the boat and into bed instead because I was GREEN... it was gross. Most miserable day of my life. I had to take it a second time, incidentally, but this time I realized the trick. You eat. A lot. Eat more than ever would have wanted to put in your mouth, and the more nauseous you feel, the more you eat. Seems counterintuitive but it works - makes the sickness go away and keeps the pills down. I even made it through crew practice the next day... so if you gotta do it, prepare to gorge ;)

My friend wasn't that bad at all...She went to work and all that other normal stuff..... I can't imagine being that sick:eek:

Oh, one more thing I remembered about it- the more times you take it, the less effective it is.

In other words, find yourself a regular form of contraception. The morning after pill is really supposed to be only used in case of *emergency*.

Oh, one more thing I remembered about it- the more times you take it, the less effective it is.

In other words, find yourself a regular form of contraception. The morning after pill is really supposed to be only used in case of *emergency*.

omg i can't imagine using that on a regular basis :puke2: uggghhhh that would be total torture

uh-oh!

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

omg i can't imagine using that on a regular basis :puke2: uggghhhh that would be total torture

Yeah....Ya know what's sad, I know someone who uses something else as a form........She's already had 4 or 5!!!!!!

:eek::blown::vomit3::blown: