Clubplanet Nightlife Community

FUCK IT. I need to vent. Re: This "new" Exit friday party....

Now I've been seeing a lot of hoopla lately about the "new" Muzik fridays at Exit...it's the "party NYC has been waiting for"...

I received this fwded email from a promoter who works for Thorin Aiello:

Muzik Fridays

@

exit 2

Friday Nights

Doors open 10:30pm-8am / Guest List close at 2am !

$30 no list / $20 on __________ guest list

18 to enter and 21 to drink and access to White Room

Muzik Fridays @ Exit 2 is the hottest party in NYC and features the biggest International DJs in the world. Some past notables are:

Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Edgar V., George Acosta, Oakenfold, Sasha & Digweed, Tony Draper, Johnny Vicious, Andrew Mendez,

This is the party to check out if your a lover of the music

This is the biggest club in New York City. It features 3 floors & 6 rooms of the most intense club experience, All forms of music from Hip-hop, house, to techno and jungle.

The NEW crowd at Exit 2 is a mix of classy & upscale to wild and unique.

Really?? Are we going to see a "different" Exit, with a "new" crowd? Just because they decide to throw their money at big name DJs and change the name of their party?

Now I'm all for the DJs. To me, I always wanted to see big name DJs at Exit because of the sheer size of the damn place.

But now, look at who's promoting the NEW MUZIK FRIDAYS: Johnny Z, Frank Mancuso, Thorin & Sevan, PRM, Artie Maydel, Eli, John Miller, Rob T., Steve Take-One, Steve C, Jermaine, Dino Majik,Theory, Realz Ent, and Kiss

Hmmmm...gee, don't they look familiar? Familiar as in THE SAME PROMOTERS FOR IMAGINE FRIDAYS?

Now, I've had my beef with some of these promoters before (http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=6853#post6853), but I'm not questioning their ability. I'm asking Exit WHY THESE PROMOTERS? The same promoters that you had for your previous party?

If you want a new crowd, shouldn't Exit management get rid of all the former promoters that brought the cheesy crowd that definitely helped in making Exit the burning shithole it is now? The same crowd that gets goosebumps once the name "Tony Draper" is mentioned?

In my eye, if you want the crowd to change, get rid of the old Imagine promoters, and bring in the proven promoters THAT ARE KNOWN to bring in a classy, music-savvy, and intelligent crowd.

Because, as I highlighted above [Oakie, S&D, and Tony Draper: Exit's previous low quality resident DJ being mentioned with 2 DJs who never spun at the club, and regarding all of them as "the biggest international DJ's in the world (redundency)"], the previous promoters obviously brought in a music-ignorant, commercial bullshit crowd. So then why stay with the same promoters if you're trying to change the crowd?

Is anybody else feeling the same way as I am?

Okay, here we go. I'm being forced to venture where I didn't want to go before but I'll risk the step.

I wasn't ever at Exit when it was the days of Draper, when it was a raging inferno of clubbing nightmares. I ended up at a big variety of different clubs from Limelight to Saci and Cheetah to Vinyl, and some really shitty DC clubs, before I ever got there. So I don't know what it was before. All I can speak for is the present.

The e-mail that you received from that promoter is not an email that was in any way sanctioned or produced by Thorin, Sevan or their authorized associates. And if it didn't come from one of the people aforementioned, there's a very large chance it will be fucked up. That is not the fault of anyone but the subpromoter himself.

I won't bother to say more on this, and I don't know the particulars on every promoter who is partnered in that event. But I do know that, from those with whom I am acquainted, the intentions are correct and the steps toward progress are slowly being made. Maybe I'm just wildly optimistic but I really hope they make it.

Pessimism is a self-fulfilling prophecy, so if anyone ever wants see this party change, do this:

Stop Whining. Get your ass out and support the DJ's you have so long wished to see at that place. YOU PEOPLE are the educated clubbers, the elite crowd that the success of this party hinges on, and YOUR SUPPORT is the only thing that will make it happen. I don't care if SANTA CLAUS HIMSELF promoted this party, nothing will secure the change in Exit unless YOU PEOPLE make a positive contribution to the scene, have some patience and a little faith, and be PROACTIVE in turning it around.

Thanks.

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Stop Whining. Get your ass out and support the DJ's you have so long wished to see at that place. YOU PEOPLE are the educated clubbers, the elite crowd that the success of this party hinges on, and YOUR SUPPORT is the only thing that will make it happen. I don't care if SANTA CLAUS HIMSELF promoted this party, nothing will secure the change in Exit unless YOU PEOPLE make a positive contribution to the scene, have some patience and a little faith, and be PROACTIVE in turning it around.

Thanks.

Wishful thinking.

I've been hoping that ever since I was an Exit head. All I've hoped for was a positive vibe in that place. It will never happen. And in the point I attempted to make, you are definitely not going anywhere if you keep the same promoters that brought in the aweful crowd to begin with. The people who post on CP aren't the majority crowd at ANY club. Us supporting this party as much as possible is going to do jack shit unless you bring in the right promoters and instill the correct door policy.

Making Exit successful doesn't merely take an effort from us, but an effort from the Exit itself has to be shown. Yes, the DJ's are a start, but having those hosts on the top line, one of which I personally know their clients due to the fact that I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL with one of them, that party will feel like the previous one.

To make a long story short: Good try, Vixen, but IT WILL ALWAYS BE THE SAME OLD SORRY ASS EXIT.

Originally posted by highmay

Wishful thinking.

I've been hoping that ever since I was an Exit head. All I've hoped for was a positive vibe in that place. It will never happen. And in the point I attempted to make, you are definitely not going anywhere if you keep the same promoters that brought in the aweful crowd to begin with. The people who post on CP aren't the majority crowd at ANY club. Us supporting this party as much as possible is going to do jack shit unless you bring in the right promoters and instill the correct door policy.

Making Exit successful doesn't merely take an effort from us, but an effort from the Exit itself has to be shown. Yes, the DJ's are a start, but having those hosts on the top line, one of which I personally know their clients due to the fact that I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL with one of them, that party will feel like the previous one.

To make a long story short: Good try, Vixen, but IT WILL ALWAYS BE THE SAME OLD SORRY ASS EXIT.

I didn't say clubplanet alone - I specified clubbing elite. You know what I mean so there's not much point dissecting words.

Self fulfilling prophecy, case-in-point.

Personally I have no opinion one way or another if Exit stays the same, gets better or gets worse, (though I think it would be a good thing if it got better). I didn't go there to begin with. But with all the bitching everyone does about the scene, I do wonder when everyone's gonna stop crying and start working. Someone find or become the "Wonder-promoter" and have him or her take the party (it's about time *someone* got proactive) - $900,000,000 says it won't do shit till the change occurs at the base of the party - with the crowd (that's us...clubbers)

I didn't say clubplanet alone - I specified clubbing elite. You know what I mean so there's not much point dissecting words.

Self fulfilling prophecy, case-in-point.

Personally I have no opinion one way or another if Exit stays the same, gets better or gets worse, (though I think it would be a good thing if it got better). I didn't go there to begin with. But with all the bitching everyone does about the scene, I do wonder when everyone's gonna stop crying and start working. Someone find or become the "Wonder-promoter" and have him or her take the party (it's about time *someone* got proactive) - $900,000,000 says it won't do shit till the change occurs at the base of the party - with the crowd (that's us...clubbers)

What you've stated is true, pessimism IS a self-fulfilling prophecy. And yes, there IS a lot of talk about the confirmed lineup that they have coming up. People are glad that there is finally variety in NYC clubland again.

But I'll tell you this: the music savvy, clubbing elite only go to the places where the abstract absolute idea of "the party" is held with the highest regard. The effort must come from all parts, not merely one to do all the work. The clubbing elite WILL go to Exit and support these DJs. The clubbing elite ARE streetsmart, but they're also stubborn, and they want to go to and expeirience "the party" at a place that understands that and puts in the effort to keep it at the highest quality possible ON A CONSISTENT BASIS.

You see, the effort comes from the club to hire the promoters that brings in the DJs which, at the same time, attracts the wanted crowd. When the promoters do their job, it's the job of the club to keep the wanted crowd and promoters there. If everything is working correctly, the vibe of the party and image of the club will be highly regarded...VERY highly regarded. Remember Twilo?

Now with Exit, they've brought in the DJs, but the same promoters of the last party are doing this one, and the majority crowd that is being attracted won't care about vibe, with only a percentage of the clubbing elite showing up. And what will happen when the clubbing elite see what is around them, seeing merely a large group of individuals with their own selfish motivations? They'll leave, and Exit will be the same as it's ever been. That is exactly why I'm pessimistic.

But, as I've done before, I'm gonna say "let's see what happens," and hope that, maybe THIS TIME, they get their act cleaned up. Just do yourself a favor and keep your expectations as low as possible.

Point well taken (this like, the Highmay and Vixen Debate Thread here) regarding the crowd. I'm thinking, though, that there's a distinct possibility that the old crowd will at least in part (i can pretty much guarantee not all) be drawn over to World and the like where Tony Draper is getting some shine.

So here's my question to you: Do you think that the portion of the old crowd that does stay at exit will be educated by the new DJ's, and be brought up to a level where they too can look back at themselves and say "ew, I liked draper? I was an exit meathead? whoops." Simply, do you think evolution applies here?

The title of this thread is exactly what I was thinking when I read YET ANOTHER sticky touting Exit's amazing new night. Fuck that. It's insulting, everyone knows they always have the same shit there, right?

The only time I've actually wanted to go to Exit was for the Electroclash show they had there last fall. And I didn't even go to that because it was at Exit.

The place is known for big room cheese. What, are they going to book all trance now? Well, they'll probably do pretty good with that. Fine. Just please stop announcing a 'completely new Exit Friday/ Saturday party' EVERY FUCKING WEEK!

i agree get your azz on the dancefloor people~and turn it aroundddddd~~~.....it'll only get better if people try to change the scene there :letsgo:

Point well taken (this like, the Highmay and Vixen Debate Thread here) regarding the crowd. I'm thinking, though, that there's a distinct possibility that the old crowd will at least in part (i can pretty much guarantee not all) be drawn over to World and the like where Tony Draper is getting some shine.

So here's my question to you: Do you think that the portion of the old crowd that does stay at exit will be educated by the new DJ's, and be brought up to a level where they too can look back at themselves and say "ew, I liked draper? I was an exit meathead? whoops." Simply, do you think evolution applies here?

Good question. The way I see it, it depends on the individual.

Remember the White Room the night of Dave Ralph? Remember the stereotypical neo-guidos standing on the side, checking eachother out, trying to look harder than the other while, at the same time, attempting to impress and hopefully get themselves one of the 8 girls dancing around to that cheesy music? Remember those 8 girls and how half of them were underage, where the booty shorts they wore were so tight that their love handles popped out like biscuits? Remember the 3 fights that night? Well, that IS Exit. Morality and Integrity are pushed to the wayside, in favor of the John Locke perspective of the brutal, primal, and bloodless animal of a human, working on instincts to mate with the best looking potential female. Forgotten are the music, the comraderie, "the party." The Neo-guido asks his friend "Dave fuckin' who? Who da fuck's da DJ tonight? Domenick Fuckin' Cappello? I luv his shit!"

That crowd will never get it. They choose to participate in this superficial culture and their selfish motivations won't lead them to think beyond the comfort lines. They more motivated to get their pills from their regular dealer than for the DJ to drop the Safe From Harm. Now who brought that crowd in? Thorin? Johnny Z? Artie Maydel? Who knows. But I have a good feeling that they'll be there next week, doing it all over again.

Now what about the Draper-loving, immature, pillpopping, rail thin, wannabe juicehead 18 year old with the shirt off and body order ever present, who first started going to Exit using his older brother's ID? Would he expeirience an epiphany? That I can't quite tell you. But I'll tell you this: there's a better chance that he'll be in the middle of the main floor, noticing the smiles on the faces of the clubbing elite, with their arms raised up in the air, going crazy when Chris Fortier drops some sick song. And hopefully, he'll think in his mind "am I missing something? Have I been fooling myself?"

And at THAT individual's moment, he begins to thrist for more, join the elite, and party with them, all the while looking down with arrogence at the aformentioned stereotypical Exit morons. He also eventually says out loud what he thinks of Exit now, and laugh at how stupid he used to be. But remember that the elite stay with the elite. Only at those parties the elite have a chance to individually self-evolve. Why, then, should he force himself to go back to Exit and get pissed off at how bad the crowd sucks?

In short, it is always possible to evolve, but certain dynamics must take place and must already be in place for that evolution to occur. Leaving your comfort zone is one such dynamic. As much as Exit has started opening the door a bit, they still haven't totally escaped THEIR comfort zone.

something crossed my mind while i was reading this.

while everyone here is claiming how bad exit is, every time i have been there (which has been extremely rarely in the past coule of years because i really dont like that place and dont enjoy myself there) it has been packed. hmmm, looks like there is a large number of people who still go there and are willing to pay what i, and what seems to be most people on CP, consider way too much for a shitty place like that.

bottom line, Exit has its following, and so why would it change? if a club is pulling ina couple of thousand people a weekend, management is achieving its goals, which is making $$$

so maybe Exit isnt for you guys, or for me, but calling on it to change is like saying its more important to please us for its management than it is to make money.

But remember that the elite stay with the elite. Only at those parties the elite have a chance to individually self-evolve. Why, then, should he force himself to go back to Exit and get pissed off at how bad the crowd sucks?

How about because he or she cares about the scene, wants to see an improvement and is willing to sacrifice a little to support a party that DOES have the potential to change the place, given proper support?

I mean, we all sit here and complain how bad this club is and that club is, and how the scene is going downhill -- then we get the opportunity to fix it and we just throw our hands the air, say "it'll just always suck!" and go pick our noses while waiting for the next good club to get shut down, never to be replaced because the people who supposedly care so much about the scene are too busy deciding not to do anything to help it.

Call me idealistic, call me the club version of a tree-hugger, but it's those little individual actions, each of us playing our part in the whole movement, that will be stronger in solidarity than anything any promoter could ever do.

:)

How about because he or she cares about the scene, wants to see an improvement and is willing to sacrifice a little to support a party that DOES have the potential to change the place, given proper support?

I mean, we all sit here and complain how bad this club is and that club is, and how the scene is going downhill -- then we get the opportunity to fix it and we just throw our hands the air, say "it'll just always suck!" and go pick our noses while waiting for the next good club to get shut down, never to be replaced because the people who supposedly care so much about the scene are too busy deciding not to do anything to help it.

Call me idealistic, call me the club version of a tree-hugger, but it's those little individual actions, each of us playing our part in the whole movement, that will be stronger in solidarity than anything any promoter could ever do.

:)

Yeah, but why would you want to support a place you didn't like? Clubs come and go, but the music remains... Look at Paradise Garage; No one remembers what it looks like, but musically, it set the template for hundreds of clubs.

Exit doesn't have the best music. It's like you can't help someone until they're willing to help themselves. But breakbeatz2 is absolutely right, their crowd likes it, so it's fine. I wouldn't ask a bunch of Guidos and Eurotrash to support an underground party, so why would they want underground at their party? For Exit lovers, Exit is the best club, period. I just wish they'd stop advertising 'new' parties, when it's just the same one over and over...

Originally posted by highmay

If you want a new crowd, shouldn't Exit management get rid of all the former promoters that brought the cheesy crowd that definitely helped in making Exit the burning shithole it is now? The same crowd that gets goosebumps once the name "Tony Draper" is mentioned?

does that mean I shouldnt go on fridays b/c im not part of that crowd??? :laugh: k hun :tongue:

I definitly hear what you are saying tho. David is probably scared.. B/c now he is sed to all those promoters and he knows what they are capable of... i dont think the crowd will ever change just like the SF crowd never will.. its the club.. no matter who promotes it some of the crowd may change but the regulars will still go therefor mainly the same crowd... the club business sucks.. so does david.. but thats just my opinion :)

I don't think they're gonna change much if the DJ's you give them are *more Draper*, Acosta, Tiesto, and Oakenfold et. al. Fact of the matter is they probably don't WANT to change the crowd all that much. Loyalty is loyalty, and if you have meatheads packing the place, spending their money, and coming back for more every week, then why spoil a formula that's been working for you. Bottom line is that running a club is about making money, and these guys are going to end up somewhere....as long as they don't start clogging up a few other places (but that's why those places have dress codes :D ) I really don't care if they feel like sticking their 3 inch stiffies into the backs of 16 year olds with fake IDs one night a week.

In my experiance, most people have club that they enjoy where no one special is spinning anywhere else..but a lot of people flock to any club that their favorite dj is spinning at.

I have to Exit for a lot of their huge parties..and huge Dj's one being my fav, Tiesto..

since i hardly go to the place I don't care about the crowd.. my vibe is the DJ.

There are a lot of clubs because different people like different things.

Amen vixenfoxxy. Bravo.

:D :D My girl Codica! Let's hear it for optimism and activism! :D

Honestly, I just wrote a post like yours on another board. I said I had faith in the talent and whatnot.. umm.. that I love the idea of bringing talent in.. etc..

I'm all for it, and I will be there tomorrow (first time since Tiesto part II fiasco) to hear Christopher Lawrence. I've never had the pleasure of hearing him live so I'm taking the opportunity that has presented itself and going to expand my musical horizons. :D :D :D