Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How have your musical tastes evolved?

I listened to Danny Howells' Nubreed album today for the first time in over a year. I used to think it was just ok. In listening to it today, I realize how good it really is. I think this change in my opinion is due to a change in my musical tastes.

A large part of Howells' Nubreed album is comprised of tribal beats, some are slow and deep. Something I was definitely not into a year ago. I realize my tastes have definitley come a long way over the last few years. This may also be a result of the changing sound in the scene. I know a few years ago, it was all about progressive house and trance. Naturally, this was where my interest in electronic music began.

When you know little about the scene, you are exposed only to the predominant sound out there. Progressive is still the primary sound you will hear on the radio, or in a mainstream club like Exit. I know there was always so much more out there, but I had not been exposed to it.

In the last few years, I have partied all over the world, in many different clubs, and I have been exposed to many different styles of music. Here at home, I found my favorite sound at Vinyl, where I have spent way too much time over the last year. Its funny though, I don't think I would have been able to appreciate the style of music you typically hear at Vinyl without first being exposed to all the other styles out there.

Has anyone else here undergone a similar evolution in their musical tastes?

When I 1st started partying, anything and everything was cool with me....trance, techno, breakbeats, d&b, house, etc....but as time passed I found myself swayin towards house musik....particularly tribal and progressive....I went to PVD FRi and only stayed for 3 hrs before I couldn't take the musik anymore and bounced to see DT (who did show up that night, just a lil later around 5)....sry Paul....I still buy other musik for listenin @ home or when I'm out and about, but to dance and party too, house is the way to go for me...

i used to hate jp up until 2 years ago when i actually stayed till closing and saw the whole club transform

the music is better the vibe is better and by far the best dancing and most energy in any club ive ever been to

i know a lot of people on this board dont like him and i understand why cause i used to feel the same way

but if u hear the way he mixes and the tracks he plays for afterhours ur mind will change as well

Don't get me wrong, I love all genres of music. I am not a huge trance fan, but I had an incredible time seeing PVD at Space in Miami. I love any good music, but I prefer house. In NY, Vinyl is one of the few places where you can hear really good house music. If I could find better, I would certainly go.