Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Garage...

If you're talking UK Garage, yeah, my and jayp are definately into the 2-step, and that's about half of what I spin. As far as US garage, I dig it, but it's not entirely my thing, more of something for nights where you want to groove rather than dance all out.

In any case, I've been to every single Drive By show that was here when I'm in town (although I'm STILL Pissed that I missed Zed Bias and Deekline over the summer), and I used to be a regular over at Wikkid Crew. In any case, I've been listening to the shit ever since it first started since I was a speed garage head back in the day and it kind of evolved from that. At first I wasn't a huge fan because a lot of it eliminated the basslines I loved from speed garage, but I'd say that Zed Bias' Neighbourhood, Second Protocol's Basslick, and Wookie's Battle changed all that and now it's my favorite type of music.

UK Garage is great, I love listening to it, but don't seem to get much of a chance to hear it at all (especially live).

There are some really inventive, creative UK Garage songs out there... I think it gives the producers a little bit more freedom, they can take bits and pieces from many music genres (rap, R&B, hip-hop, ragae) and throw them all in one song.

Can anyone recommend any (preferably cheap) UK Garage CDs?? :confused:

You're not gonna find cheap because the only non-imported UKG CDs that are in record stores because the only ones that have US distribution are the MJ Cole and Artful Dodger mixes. However, Casper (definately one of the top 6 or 7 American UKG DJs, along with Dinesh, TS Heritage, Greg Poole, Daniel Rockwell, and E:Trinity) has a mix out you can buy for $12 online Here. Pretty decent mix, have about 1/3 of the records myself, and the first half is more on the hard/breakstep tip, whereas the second half is more soulful and jazzy.

Also, once I get this damn mix finished.......

Also, if you have audiogalaxy, Stanton Sessions, Bingo Beats, Groove Master Johnson live at Innercity, etc are on there.

Here's a couple links to live sets (obviously if there are several versions, pick the longest one)

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/chooseVersion.php?&g=168308196

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/chooseVersion.php?&g=123862159

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/chooseVersion.php?&g=140588700

Originally posted by brickhouse

You're not gonna find cheap because the only non-imported UKG CDs that are in record stores because the only ones that have US distribution are the MJ Cole and Artful Dodger mixes. However, Casper (definately one of the top 6 or 7 American UKG DJs, along with Dinesh, TS Heritage, Greg Poole, Daniel Rockwell, and E:Trinity) has a mix out you can buy for $12 online Here. Pretty decent mix, have about 1/3 of the records myself, and the first half is more on the hard/breakstep tip, whereas the second half is more soulful and jazzy.

Also, once I get this damn mix finished.......

Yeah, I kind of noticed that you can't find cheap UK Garage ANYWHERE here... and I'm officially Artful Dodger'ed out (he's repetative... has some good stuff, but I'm sick of it).

I hate to admit it, but one of the best Garage CDs I have (double CD actually) is a 'Garage Anthem' CD mixed by Craig David : duck :

It was the first CD that exposed me to this kind of music, and there are some fun songs on there (an "I don't smoke the refer" song that's absolutely hilarious!)

Unfortunately I don't have AudioGalaxy (or any way to get music on the internet), so that's not an option... but if you feel like sending me a copy of your mix when it's finished I'd be MORE than willing to accept! :D

the garridge gets the big thumb up in my book.

ive strayed away from it recently but im trying to come back, it seems like there's less and less of it coming out. oh well.

i dunno yeah its good stuff.

Originally posted by brickhouse

If you're talking UK Garage, yeah, my and jayp are definately into the 2-step, and that's about half of what I spin. As far as US garage, I dig it, but it's not entirely my thing, more of something for nights where you want to groove rather than dance all out.

In any case, I've been to every single Drive By show that was here when I'm in town (although I'm STILL Pissed that I missed Zed Bias and Deekline over the summer), and I used to be a regular over at Wikkid Crew. In any case, I've been listening to the shit ever since it first started since I was a speed garage head back in the day and it kind of evolved from that. At first I wasn't a huge fan because a lot of it eliminated the basslines I loved from speed garage, but I'd say that Zed Bias' Neighbourhood, Second Protocol's Basslick, and Wookie's Battle changed all that and now it's my favorite type of music.

u skipped the dreem team show a few weeks back.

<===hater.

but yeah im with you on the wookie and zed bias tracks. classics.

i hate to say it but re-rewind got me into it. it dont get much cheezier :hat:

Originally posted by nyis4meatheads

Yeah, I kind of noticed that you can't find cheap UK Garage ANYWHERE here... and I'm officially Artful Dodger'ed out (he's repetative... has some good stuff, but I'm sick of it).

I hate to admit it, but one of the best Garage CDs I have (double CD actually) is a 'Garage Anthem' CD mixed by Craig David : duck :

It was the first CD that exposed me to this kind of music, and there are some fun songs on there (an "I don't smoke the refer" song that's absolutely hilarious!)

Unfortunately I don't have AudioGalaxy (or any way to get music on the internet), so that's not an option... but if you feel like sending me a copy of your mix when it's finished I'd be MORE than willing to accept! :D

The concept of "mixed by craig david" is too funny. Who knew he DJed? If you want a 2step CD shell out some cash for Garage Fever. Its an import, but its 3 CDs and much more representative of where the scene is at now than all that melodic artful dodger stuff that really doesn't get played much anymore. Any of the EZ mix cds are good too. Most of 2step sounds more like Misssy Elliot than the Dreem Team these days, so know what to expect.