Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ALERT: Help battle anti-promoter legislation going through Congress...

HR 3782 - Prison Time for Promoters

Legislation has been recently introduced in the U.S. House that would hold "entertainment event" promoters criminally liable for the illegal conduct of event attendees. If HR 3782 becomes law, anyone who promotes an entertainment event "that takes place under circumstances where the promoter knows or reasonably ought to know" that illegal drugs will be sold or consumed could be sentenced to up to 9 years in federal prison.

This could destroy the scene. Here are links where you can learn more and take action:

www.emdef.org

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index_by_state.cfm

Please make your voice heard.

Peace,

David Christopher

www.headrushmusic.com

Yeah I saw something about this awhile ago, down in Louisiana... if that goes through, its all over. We all have to jump into this one...

BTW WHATS UP KID!!!!!!!!!!!

You going to S&D this weekend, and congrats on the deals with the tracks, Chris told me...

love, and all that

The movie/documentary rise explained a lot about this...

Theres a promoter in Lousiana that threw some wicked parties... and was eventually arrested via the "crackhouse law"...

theres a lot more to it...

for the love of god, I can't remember his name... I have it at home though...

hacker? fill in the blanks?

Interesting, looks like it has strong support in the House with 42 Cosponsors. Here is the proposed text:

``SEC. 416A. PROMOTERS OF DRUG ORIENTED ENTERTAINMENT.

`Whoever knowingly promotes any rave, dance, music, or other entertainment event, that takes place under circumstances where the promoter knows or reasonably ought to know that a controlled substance will be used or distributed in violation of Federal law or the law of the place were the event is held, shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned for not more than 9 years, or both.'

Originally posted by joeg

The movie/documentary rise explained a lot about this...

Theres a promoter in Lousiana that threw some wicked parties... and was eventually arrested via the "crackhouse law"...

theres a lot more to it...

for the love of god, I can't remember his name... I have it at home though...

hacker? fill in the blanks?

DISCO DONNIE

Originally posted by xpander

I thought Disco Donnie got off? The entire Louisiana thing was resolved, wasn't it? Was this never finished, or is this ANOTHER promoter issue?

yeah, I believe hes free now...

Originally posted by o-jay®

Interesting, looks like it has strong support in the House with 42 Cosponsors. Here is the proposed text:

``SEC. 416A. PROMOTERS OF DRUG ORIENTED ENTERTAINMENT.

`Whoever knowingly promotes any rave, dance, music, or other entertainment event, that takes place under circumstances where the promoter knows or reasonably ought to know that a controlled substance will be used or distributed in violation of Federal law or the law of the place were the event is held, shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned for not more than 9 years, or both.'

This is all over mailing lists in internet raveland and guess what...most people agree that its very likely that it will pass. the lobby for it is stronger than against it. now, i think that the entertainment industry may have a problem with it as, what exactly defines "drug oriented entertainment" a phish or eric clapton concert with 15 yr olds smoking dope is just as much "drug oriented" as a rave with 15 yr old crackheads.

can one assume that if searches at the entrance are conducted by law enforcement, that the promoter can be under the impression that the event is free of controlled substances? either way this section is clearly intended to do away with raves and clubs, not rock concerts. if someone ODs at a party what incentive does the promoter have to call 911 now? my guess is that in the end the courts won't end up putting anyone behind bars, and the cops will be happy to just fine the promoters...end result - 100 bucks to get in at a party.

Thanks for all the great thoughts, people. This is some serious shit.

Parish--whaddup, bro. Where you been? Thanks for the congrats on the tracks...just finished remixing "Voices" for KC Flight...I'll get you a white label...

--DC

Even if it does become law, we'll get around it. It's time to start treating our business as exactly that, a business. This means contracts with clubs, security, and so on. If you form an agreement with the club claiming to be an employee ultimately any thin that happens is their fault. Security should come by way of subcontractors and therefore have their own insurance and carry the burden of their own liability. Get a lawyer, spend the couple bucks to incorporate, and show these politicians that not only will we not be stopped, but were not a bunch of lazy crackheads. Let them know that we are business men and women and that we're not going anywhere. All businesses have restrictions and regulations, they all help to strengthen the industry and weed out the week ones. We're ready to take a step forward.