Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Survey About The Nyc Nightclub Industry. Honest Opinion

In trying to bring more people out to the nightclubs in NYC many of us in the business have asked these questions.

1. Would more people come out if the price of admission was lower?

2. Because of the economy, the stock market, lay offs and the 11th etc., has money become tighter in a sense that people are more selective as to the night or nights they go out clubbing?

3. Can a nightclub do well without promoters if the price of admission was lowered to a reasonable entrance charge?

4. What would be a reasonable charge if the price of admission was lowered?

5. Has the industry become a runaway train in that every nightclub seems to grab on to the next trend by seeking out these international dj's that charge an absolutely insane fee. This insane fee forces the nightclubs to raise the price of admission where upon the end result is you the customer pays for it. Regardless of the cost to enter, would you still go?

6. Who financially is effected more by high priced admissions...males, females or both?

7. What is a great night out...is it music driven or a social scene or a combination of both?.... If you owned a nightclub, what would you do that perhaps the curent club owners aren't?

8. What does "back to basics" mean to you?

when dealing with $30+ admissions, yes i tihnk that lower fees will tend to bring out larger crowds.

money hs become tighter.

promoters are important in upscale parties, but are often not as important in larger clubs. flyers often get the job done just as well, and lower admissions will bring in MANY more people than promoters.

PVD and the like warrant higher admissions, although i dont think it should be higher than 40. Space in Miami had a very interesting policy of the admission getting progressively higher as the night progresses. so at 11 the admission is 20, at 1 its 30, and at 3 its 40

back to basics means good music with a crowd that just wants to have fun and relax. without a lot of the complexities that have been recently introduced into the ailing club scene.

there will definitely be more students (both college and hs) in the clubs

2. Because of the economy, the stock market, lay offs and the 11th etc., has money become tighter in a sense that people are more selective as to the night or nights they go out clubbing? yes

3. Can a nightclub do well without promoters if the price of admission was lowered to a reasonable entrance charge? no idea

4. What would be a reasonable charge if the price of admission was lowered? no idea

5. Has the industry become a runaway train in that every nightclub seems to grab on to the next trend by seeking out these international dj's that charge an absolutely insane fee. This insane fee forces the nightclubs to raise the price of admission where upon the end result is you the customer pays for it. Regardless of the cost to enter, would you still go? depends on who it is and what club its in. if sasha and digweed were at roxy, vinyl, or LL, i would definitly have coughed up the cover charge.

6. Who financially is effected more by high priced admissions...males, females or both?no clue

7. What is a great night out...is it music driven or a social scene or a combination of both?.... If you owned a nightclub, what would you do that perhaps the curent club owners aren't?

Combo. A music driven scene will produce its own social scene (not the other way around, however). as far as part 2...er...um...no idea

8. What does "back to basics" mean to you? less bullshit

this might have been said before above, but this is just my 2 cents. Except for a few select clubs who can pull it off and should pull it off, I think generally most clubs should cut the velvet rope, we are holier than thou act...Clubs run a dime a dozen now, the attitude that is conveyed by many simply turns many people off...I have been going for about 6-7 years now and to be honest the true thing that keeps me going back is the music, fuck the glam, fuck the bullshit, while dressing up, looking good all that is fun, its not what its about...I feel that a who appreciates the vibe and culture of true clubbing, and not worry about if leonardo dicaprio will show up will have a strong following---essentially that's what twilo was all about, and to an extent tunnel, and that is why people laud and mourn their non existence...as far as places like NV who still play "hide you" as their most recent track and who believe it is a privilege just to get in, well time will tell who really sticks around

you make no sense.. seriously..

He is not belittling others, AND he is not even remotely trying to be the man... How has he stated anyone's opinion ?

I hate it when club-goers try and give their 2-cents about promoters and/or club owners. Club-goers typically and usually have NO clue about all the variables involved with a typical night at a club/lounge/bar. BUT club-goers ALWAYS have something to say, whether it be negative or positive.

Remember these words "KNOW YOUR ROLE"... And that's the truth...

Club-goers think they know everything,... How much does security cost? ,How much does a DJ or DJ(s) cost?, How much does the coat-check girl cost?, How much do hostess(s) cost?, How much do the the extras, which are un-mentionable items cost?

Know your damn role before you speak...!!!!!

Just cause you get a damn comp from a promoter doesn't mean your knowledgeable or that you have any cents. Also, if your under 25 don't even think of responding, cause you are too young and honestly have no damn clue how this business really works or better yet should work. This industry has changed big time for the past years.

What it comes down to is that nightclubs would not exist without promoters. That is the 100% truth no matter what anyone says. Anyone that says different doesn't knwo better. The problem is, is that mant nightclub owners can't handle paying promoters. Its a problem that has existing seince the beginning...

Even if you have PVD at a club, you still need promoters. Its a fact. Promoters, real promoters guarantee people in a venue. PVD does not... Its a promoters job to get people in a venue. Its not PVD's job to get people in a venue. PVD gets paid the same whether 5 people show up to his gig or 10,000 show up. Sure, he might get a bonus if 10,000 show up. :)

So, give promoters some credit, it ain't an easy job. Its damn hard.. Promoters typically get the DJ(s), Do you all know that ?

Promoters hire the door people.., Do you all know that ?

Promoters produce the parties....

thank you.

my 2-cents at after 5 in the morning,...;

Originally posted by cp

you make no sense.. seriously..

He is not belittling others, AND he is not even remotely trying to be the man... How has he stated anyone's opinion ?

I hate it when club-goers try and give their 2-cents about promoters and/or club owners. Club-goers typically and usually have NO clue about all the variables involved with a typical night at a club/lounge/bar. BUT club-goers ALWAYS have something to say, whether it be negative or positive.

Remember these words "KNOW YOUR ROLE"... And that's the truth...

Club-goers think they know everything,... How much does security cost? ,How much does a DJ or DJ(s) cost?, How much does the coat-check girl cost?, How much do hostess(s) cost?, How much do the the extras, which are un-mentionable items cost?

Know your damn role before you speak...!!!!!

Just cause you get a damn comp from a promoter doesn't mean your knowledgeable or that you have any cents. Also, if your under 25 don't even think of responding, cause you are too young and honestly have no damn clue how this business really works or better yet should work. This industry has changed big time for the past years.

What it comes down to is that nightclubs would not exist without promoters. That is the 100% truth no matter what anyone says. Anyone that says different doesn't knwo better. The problem is, is that mant nightclub owners can't handle paying promoters. Its a problem that has existing seince the beginning...

Even if you have PVD at a club, you still need promoters. Its a fact. Promoters, real promoters guarantee people in a venue. PVD does not... Its a promoters job to get people in a venue. Its not PVD's job to get people in a venue. PVD gets paid the same whether 5 people show up to his gig or 10,000 show up. Sure, he might get a bonus if 10,000 show up. :)

So, give promoters some credit, it ain't an easy job. Its damn hard.. Promoters typically get the DJ(s), Do you all know that ?

Promoters hire the door people.., Do you all know that ?

Promoters produce the parties....

thank you.

my 2-cents at after 5 in the morning,...;

ok shut up....the question was relayed to all nyc clubbers to put in their two cents you fucking idiot, and as for us not knowing what we are talking about, make sure you have your info straight before you make a comment like that and bash cpers who know what is fucking up. that is all i have to say...oh and bob...you know what we all think pretty much :D but i will just say...."DEEP DISH!!!!!!!!!" ah hahahahaha

first off godfatherbam, I am not bashing anyone.

I am just setting it straight.

AND what do you know ? Can you provide some credentials ? Can you provide a resume with experience ? I can, can you ?

How old are you ? I can tell already that you are definitely around 21 years old. Which means you know nothing. Your a newbie. Listen and learn.

you make me laugh.

Originally posted by cp

first off godfatherbam, I am not bashing anyone.

I am just setting it straight.

AND what do you know ? Can you provide some credentials ? Can you provide a resume with experience ? I can, can you ?

How old are you ? I can tell already that you are definitely around 21 years old. Which means you know nothing. Your a newbie. Listen and learn.

you make me laugh.

actually you fuckin moron, you just make me sick :rolleyes: and yes i have been around for a lot longer than you think...i.e. promoting and such, but i will tell you that around 60% of the people on this site are influential in the club industry, in one way or the other. and who the fuck do you think you are....here credentials don't mean shit, so maybe you promoted for a few clubs...but who the fuck hasnt, and you did bash them by saying that they know nothing, when in actuality, the responses came from very influential people, and newbie :confused: looks to me like you are the newbie, i am really sick of these people makin a screen name on here and just goin off on the long time cpers...but whatever, you made your bed, now go fuck yourself in it you piece of shit...and before you start fuckin with people on here you better know your fuckin role you little friggin wannabe. as for my age, i dont think that holds any relevance in this topic, because i have seen and done it all, so you can in the words of rdancer..."eat my fuck" scumbag...

oh, and "know your role" pretty much sums up exactly what most people hate about the club scene in New York. Anyway, as the consumers in a market economy, I'd say the paying customers have a fairly important role. After all, it's tough to have a club without patrons.

Originally posted by bsb2002

oh, and "know your role" pretty much sums up exactly what most people hate about the club scene in New York. Anyway, as the consumers in a market economy, I'd say the paying customers have a fairly important role. After all, it's tough to have a club without patrons.

thats what i am sayin, then this fuckhead comes in and tells everyone basically to fuck off??? wtf is that shit...oh well, i guess some people just dont even have 1/2 a brain left nemore...lay off the "e" cp and when you can compose yourself and have an opinion that doesnt cause this much controversy in your first 6 posts, then maybe you can come back and play ball with the people who didnt fry every last brain cell they have...:rolleyes:

It seems that the questions being asked were really for patrons for the clubs, not promoters to answer. Promoters are not paying to get in the club, the clubbers are. When someone asks "would you go to a club if it cost less??" why would I want promoters input??? The guy wants answers from the people who go to the clubs....

KNOW YOUR ROLE??? WHAT, ARE YOU STUPID?

CP don't act like you know it all just because you're over 25. This is a post specifically AIMED at club-goers to bring the scene back to life. How are YOU, a newbie to this board and someone who doesn't know anyone from here, going to tell US to know our role???

YOU LISTEN TO ME VERY CAREFULLY. You may have promoted for many parties before. But before you started, you were just another club-goer. And without clubbers there'd BE no clubs. It's not the promoters, its the CLUBBERS that make the scene. Think before you speak. Sure, promoters are important to the party, but if they don't get feedback and listen to the club-goers, WHAT GOOD IS THEIR PARTY??

so know your place as a newbie and be nice to other board members because you have no idea how much pull some of them have in the industry....

BobG didn't just go to random people in a club and ask these questions. He posted on this board specifically because he knows that, for the most part, CP members are more educated in regards to the music and the scene in general. Most of us KNOW what we're talking about so KNOW YOUR PLACE is one of the most moronic statements I've heard. The parties should be FOR the clubbers not manipulated by promoters purely for money.

It's people like you that fuck up the scene. :blown:

First off, your arrogance and your negative talk basically shows your youth. Honestly, your 21 years old. There is alot you don't know. Believe that. I am not belitting you or bashing you. Just respect your elders. This industry is on the low end right now. That is something you dont know. You have only scene this industry only for the past few years. Your only 21. You missed the days of Palladium, and the Tunnel, and Limelight, and many others... when they were all in their prime. Don't tell me you went there cause I know you didnt. Your only 21. Plus 5-10 years ago parties used to kick ass. All the DJs that are big today are big because of promoters. That is how this all works. Who do you think gives the DJs their gigs ? the promoters or club owners do. The problem today is that everyone thinks they are a promoter. If you bring 15 people to a party you are not a promoter. Know that. The worst parties are parties that have 50 promoters. Exception: concert promotions. Did you know that bar totals are lower then ever in NYC, compared to 5-10 years ago. I am not bashing anyone. Your youth is your problem. You need to sit back and listen a little bit. You really should.

PLUS, promoters should answer these questions. Promoters don't only go to their own parties. They go other places as well. Promoters are clubbers and patrons too. Also, patrons go to a place because of promoters or because of the music, DJ, or scene which is all created by the promoter.

Please stop using profanity in your posts. There is no reason for that.

what i don't understand is why people are getting all uptight and snobbish about a question like this being asked in a public forum... i think the person who posted this just wants to know what people think. its a matter of opinion, whether it comes from a promotor, clubber or someone in the industry.... so know your role and if you don't like it, stfu :rolleyes:

anyway, back to the topic:

~ultimately, i don't the the price of admission is what lures or drives away clubbers... but i think lower admission would encourage more people to check out clubs they might not normally spend their money on.

2. Because of the economy, the stock market, lay offs and the 11th etc., has money become tighter in a sense that people are more selective as to the night or nights they go out clubbing?

~personally, no, i'm still spending like i always have and i go out whenever's good for me...this question doesn't really apply to me tho b/c i'm still in hs and i don't work.

3. Can a nightclub do well without promoters if the price of admission was lowered to a reasonable entrance charge?

~promoters are neccessary for bringing the crowd in, they help create the vibe and social scene of the club with the group that they lure in...advertisment and celebrity DJ's only go so far...

4. What would be a reasonable charge if the price of admission was lowered?

~anything over $30 on a reg. night is pushing it. $20-$25 seems fair enough to me. besides, clubs make more than enough by over-charging on drinks, they don't have to over-charge at the door too...

5. Has the industry become a runaway train in that every nightclub seems to grab on to the next trend by seeking out these international dj's that charge an absolutely insane fee. This insane fee forces the nightclubs to raise the price of admission where upon the end result is you the customer pays for it. Regardless of the cost to enter, would you still go?

~it depends on the DJ playing...

6. Who financially is effected more by high priced admissions...males, females or both?

~financially, it depends on how much a person makes, regardless whether they're male or female.

~the music, the people i'm with, the vibe of the club, the overall experience of the night is what makes or breaks a good time.

8. What does "back to basics" mean to you?

~what's this supposed to pertain to? the way a club does business? if so, then i think it means focusing more on bringing in the crowd and creating a good vibe, like a new club would, rather than forgetting the purpose of running a club and just working to bring in the money...

Originally posted by cp

First off, your arrogance and your negative talk basically shows your youth. Honestly, your 21 years old. There is alot you don't know. Believe that. I am not belitting you or bashing you. Just respect your elders. This industry is on the low end right now. That is something you dont know. You have only scene this industry only for the past few years. Your only 21. You missed the days of Palladium, and the Tunnel, and Limelight, and many others... when they were all in their prime. Don't tell me you went there cause I know you didnt. Your only 21. Plus 5-10 years ago parties used to kick ass. All the DJs that are big today are big because of promoters. That is how this all works. Who do you think gives the DJs their gigs ? the promoters or club owners do. The problem today is that everyone thinks they are a promoter. If you bring 15 people to a party you are not a promoter. Know that. The worst parties are parties that have 50 promoters. Exception: concert promotions. Did you know that bar totals are lower then ever in NYC, compared to 5-10 years ago. I am not bashing anyone. Your youth is your problem. You need to sit back and listen a little bit. You really should.

PLUS, promoters should answer these questions. Promoters don't only go to their own parties. They go other places as well. Promoters are clubbers and patrons too. Also, patrons go to a place because of promoters or because of the music, DJ, or scene which is all created by the promoter.

Please stop using profanity in your posts. There is no reason for that.

i think his problem with you is that you're making his opinion seem insignificant. regardless of the fact that he may be 21 and may not have experienced the scene 5-10 years ago, he's experiencing the scene now and his insight is as crucial as an "elder" like yourself. who are clubs catering to now anyway? a new generation with different tastes and desires... don't get too far ahead of yourself thinking you know more than some of us, take your own advice and listen to what others have to say.

arrogance??? what you mean because i am a hot head and dont appreciate when people say shit about my friends and that i have the balls to stand up to people??? well in response to what you said, i have no response, because you arent worth waisting my time on a saturday night...so fuck off, and ill curse whenever the fuck i want to curse so dont ever tell me what to do, because to me you are no one and i dont give a shit who you think you are, and i am sure that bobg doesnt appreciate the way you destroyed his thread like you did you scumbag...so buzz off "old man", seeing as how you are on your way out of the scene and we are the future of it, i believe that it is OUR opinion that matters, not you burnt out "back in the day" clubbers...:blown: