Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Share your musical journey!!!

I'm curious to know how you all came to clubland. What music did you start out listening to, what did you like through the years, and what changed?

My first cassette tape back in the mid eighties was Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl. I *still* love that tape! I was not so much into pop as a kid mainly because my sister said if she ever caught me listening to the New Kids or Vanilla Ice, she'd beat the crap out of me (and I knew she meant it!). MC Hammer was approved though so I ended up liking cheese hip hop - Hammer, Kris Kross, Snow, yada yada... in Jr. High School I moved on to ska, and I went to all the underground hardcore and ska shows. In high school I got sick of the grunge underground and did a complete 180, and I got really into hip hop and top 40. I got the idea that I could go dance to this stuff at clubs, so when I was 17 I went to a supercheesy Long Island teen night - the experience was laughable but I got hooked on clubbing, and I started delving into house music beyond what KTU was playing. Now... no turning back!!! :D Although I will admit, I still have a soft spot for power pop and certain ktu/hot97 items :tongue:

Let's hear yours!!!!

Short version:

Didn't get into music until sophomore year of high school (though was in a couple bands before that), and got into punk and electronica for the most part. Once I hit about 16, started going to the Goth clubs because they were one only ones that let me in. Went to my first "rave" when I was 17, was into that scene for about a year, then dropped out of it entirely for about 3 years while I was in a ska band and big time into the punk scene. About Junior year of college, started getting back into clubbing and electronic music again, and I'm still around from then......

I was a Madonna Fantatic ever since i can remember...then i started getting into Cindy Lauper, Michael Jackson, Prince & Wham! hahahaha.... Stacy Q (she really use to get me DANCInG everytime i put that song on "Two of Hearts") Then I started listening to The Bangles...Then Tiffany...then Salt 'n Peppa, Technotronics, Paula Abdul, cc penistan...

Then I went to Greece one summer when I was 13 and I WENT to my first club there...cuz there is no Minimum AGE there...AND...IT WAS ALL TECHNO!!! OMG!!!! I was in HEAVEN!!! I said This is where I wanna be for the REST of MY LIFE!!!! they were playing some SERiOUS HARD German Techno while there was fake snow falling everywhere, with bubbles and COLD air Gushing through the HUGE Dancefloor... The dancefloor had REAL palm trees on it and in the back it was all OPEN-AiR with a view of the OCEAN... And Little ME...wearing RED Cowboy Boots with Denim cut off shorts and a white spandex top...I MUST of looked Like a MORAN!!!! HAHAHAHA

THen Went TO hIgh School and got really into Ambient Music (the Orb, Art of Noise, Future Sound Of London) But I was still really into techno ...

tehn Got out of high school and started going to the Tunnel...so I started getting into House Music (House of God, I am Ready, Answering Machine song, English 101, Nightmare, Why Dont you Dance with Me, Din Da da remix, Follow Me)

Then I discovered D & B....and Breakbeats @ My First Rave @ Great Adventure :)

THen I began to appreciate Trance...and LoVe it...

But...I have to Say...TECHNO is my Religion...

gona make it nice n sweeet...moved to america in 87..got hooked on rap....started chillin wit the asians..started listenin to new wave (shh..it was cool..) like erasure...police..bla bla..went to JHS...became a thugged out whiteboy....all i did was bump rap..8th grd summer in europe i was introduced to techno..brought back mad tapes..soph yr in HS i bought the Electro Glide in Blue album from appollo440..wouldnt stop playing it....here i am today..lovin trance..lovin hardhouse..lovin D n B...but i still hold my true love (RAP) closest to my heart :D

back in 91 my friends told me about this party they were going to so i decided to go. it was called storm rave. was the first rave ever on the east coast. frankie bones was throwing it. i went and i have been hooked ever since. seen some crazy shit, and met some of my closest friends over the years. thank god i went to that party cause if i didn't i might not be the person i am today.:D

Didn't start *REALLY*listening to music till high school. But here's a REALLY compressed timeline.

Pre high school: Z100 (Shanice and the like)

Early High school: Rock (Offspring, OLD SCHOOL Metallica)

Late High School: Mainstream Hardcore ala WSOU (Ultraspank, Snot, Pitchshifter, Static-X, Deftones, Incubus, System of a Down)

Early College: Trance (Jokenfold, PvD, and Orbital thrown in for good measure)

Now, late college: All kinds of crap and all their sub-genres(House, Drum n Bass, Trance, Techno, Celtic, Ambient, Hard Rock)

. . . well . . I moved down to FLA in 91' and out of sheer boredom I started listening to the radio late nights . . . ahhh I remember the days of cheezy break and house . .. . soaring female vox and all . . . can't really stand the stuff much now, cause I've moved on to the more funky and hard side of breaks (and onto other genre's like jungle, DnB and house. . ) . Delicious Southside cheeze was the beginning though (you could say that the likes of C&C music factory and snap predated it . . although I didn't really know what I was listening to THAT long ago . . ). . . Through HS I listened pretty much to beats, Talk Radio and a whole heaping helping of Classic Rock . . . then in College, Gainesville to be exact, I was introduced to the scene . . . then moved back to Orlando and got into it full time when I got a job .. . Been doing it ever since . . . New York is, in effect, the third chapter of it . . .

My older brother took me to Limelight when I was 14 back in its hayday (all I gotta say is DAYUM)...then about a yr lata I discovered the wonderful world of the Tunnel with DT, then a yr after that Twilo dayz (became a repeat every Fri) then off to a few other places (SF, Cheetah, Roxy, Exit, etc...) but doin mainly Twilo Fri, Kurfew Sat...then hit up Vinyl 2 yrs ago (which is now my designated Fri) that's about it....

well i didn't spend all my days singing hymns in some english girls school choir...oh no

first album i bought (age 11ish) was slippery when wet by bon jovi(hmm)...progressed to grunge and indie a few years later a la nirvana, green day, oasis, blur.....anyhow my big brothers were into happy hardcore at the time and the big spontaneous (and illegal) british rave scene...i wasn't into all the over excited mc ing (whistle posse are yoo reeaaddy) and wasn't til i went a party in my friends cellar (um thats basement to you guys i guess) with fierce techno tunes like 'the prophet' that i was converted....now i am even more into darker techno..and in my opinion the best club i have ever been to in the whole wide world is 'the orbit' in leeds, seen sven vath, cj bolland, surgeon there its blinkin awesome!! :D

was a big-time guns n roses/metallica fan in elementary school - i loved the speed. also liked bon jovi, but i'll deny it in public. someone mentioned stacy q before - i used to have this little casio keyboard which could take a sample from the built-in mic, and you could alter the pitch that way. i used to make it go "i-i-i-i need-i need you" all the time :)

when i was around 12 or so, i used to imainge this music made from machines and electronics, little did i know what was going on across the puddle.

in high school, i was into mostly industrial stuff - i went to a jewish high school so there weren't many outside musical influences - i was the little outcast walking through the hallways stoned listening to ministry. got converted after hearing james brown is dead and 'jump motherfucker'. got my first few compilation cds in 1993 - stuff like the hypontist, stylophone, and that cheese 'sesame tweet'. 'who killed jfk'. early german techno, after reading an article in new york times, of all places, about a warehouse party in a bank vault. it was still missing something though - and i went back to metal.

got into darker metal - diecide, death, mercyful fate. my best friend in h.s. got me into hippie stuff like grateful dead and other jam bands. went through the obligatory led zeppelin phase. fell in love with nirvana and started going to a lot of concerts. got really bored my last few years of high school, started going to "raves" and limelight. this was in 1994-95, and i remember thinking how limelight was the coolest place i had ever been, and being completely shocked to hear people saying "yeah this place used to be so much cooler". saw Kids and wished i could have gone to NASA.

first year in college i would rather forget (the also obligatory frat party booze binge), and after that got tedious started going back to limelight. soph year i started going to tunnel with friends from my calc 3 class. i used to always wear the same shirt - a rage against the machine t-shirt with a big "e" on the front. first got on clubnyc.com and some kid would always give out comps to tunnel, and went there every friday and saturday for the entire summer. funny, i remember seeing the line outside of twilo and brushing that place off because "it was gay". also discovered afterhours places like save the robots. my best friend was a goth at the time, and she got me into that scenegoth.jpg.

after the summer, i spent a lot of time at metal shows and goth bars. tried punk for a little while but i liked the music, hated the attitude. most of the punker kids i knew had little or no drive to do anything with their lives. listened to tori amos, obsessed about her, and saw her live a few times.

fell in love with someone, which was not reciprocated. i listened to a lot of angry industrial and a lot of hardcore/habber, and one day she fell back in love with me. she hated the sound of frying wires, and i wasn't too terribly keen on her tom waits/leonard cohen so we made out to my roommate's led zeppelin albums. then we discovered jazz. we scoured nyc for good jazz, and made a trip up to montreal together for the jazz festival. for reasons that could proably take an entire book to recount, we broke up (mostly because we were both too immature for the relationship we were having). i needed solace and peace - it hurt for a very long time. flash forward to 1999. my metalhead friends had just discovered pleasurehead-style trance, after taking a lot of ecstasy. started going back to warehouse-style parties, which were now routinely happening above ground. was in my last two years of college, and all i had to do was get decent grades and not die. rolled every weekend or two, and started having roll parties at my house. we listened to a lot of d-v-ance, venom, pleasurehead. had my summer of love, between college and grad school, where i ate everything i could find. started making beats with a cracked version of rebirth. went to amsterdam for the first time, for dance valley. i didn't know half the djs there (i saw richie hawtin and had no idea who he was).

my first year at columbia i quit with pills, and had a g.f. who was into clubbin, so we hit twilo a lot. my friends from home were too into pills and decided it was easier to stay home and roll/trip then go out, and i got bored with them. started following dj culture a little closer, and began to know who was who. over the summer i got into funky house in ibiza, and hardhouse in amsterdam.

in the fall i became more active on the boards - lavendermenace started introducing me to everyone, and found that i could go out alone and still know people wherever i went. met some guy who had a hookup for comps at limelight, and started going back there. became obsessed with centrofly. tried going to exit, sf and vinyl and hated all three (sorry guys) for very different reasons. started making beats and became very judgemental of simple music like anthem trance. discovered baktun for hawtin/vath. its all about the music.

and that brings us up to now.

hugs,

rob