Clubplanet Nightlife Community

New Miami-Dade Ordinance starting Oct. 1, 2002

naomi1

Sec. 30-421. Use of cellular telephones while driving.

(1) Scope of regulation; preemption of municipal regulation. The provisions of this section shall apply in both the incorporated and unincorporated areas of Miami-Dade County, with the enforcement of this section in the unincorporated area being the responsibility of Miami-Dade County and in the incorporated area being the responsibility of the corresponding municipality. Municipal ordinances regulating the area covered by this section shall be preempted.

(3) Use of cellular telephones while driving without hands-free device prohibited; exception.

(a) No person shall use a cellular telephone while operating a motor vehicle on any public street or highway within Miami-Dade County while the motor vehicle is in motion, unless such cellular telephone is used with a hands-free device.

(6) Penalty. A violation of section 30-421 is a noncriminal traffic ordinance violation, punishable by a fine of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) or successful completion of a driver improvement course. Notwithstanding, within the first thirty (30) days of the effective date of this section, only a verbal warning shall be given.

(7) Trust Fund. There is hereby created the Miami-Dade County Cellular Telephone Trust Fund. Penalties received from violators of this section shall be placed in the trust fund. The Board of County Commissioners shall direct the expenditures of monies in the fund. Such expenditures shall be limited to expenses related to awareness of the dangers of cellular telephone use while driving.

(Ord. No. 01-148, § 1, 9-25-01)

Secs. 30-422--30-441.

For more info go to the

Miami Dade Gov Main Page . We all need to be informed of current ordinance. Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse....:eek:

See the thing with people who drive and talk on the cell phone that I doner understand, why do they drive retardly slow? If im going 60 mph, talking on a cell phone doesn't mess up my ability to drive. Its these peoples fault that these laws are now hitting this state, soon it will be the whole country, blame the ::cough cough cough WOMEN cough cough cough:: ;)

Originally posted by mikeydny

See the thing with people who drive and talk on the cell phone that I doner understand, why do they drive retardly slow? If im going 60 mph, talking on a cell phone doesn't mess up my ability to drive. Its these peoples fault that these laws are now hitting this state, soon it will be the whole country, blame the ::cough cough cough WOMEN cough cough cough:: ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and they swear they can talk on the phone, do their make-up and drive at the same time....some woman i know, have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time...;)

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

and they swear they can talk on the phone, do their make-up and drive at the same time....some woman i know, have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time...;)

I wonder what kind of women u deal with... :confused::laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ill be behind someone going 20 mph, i pass them and never fails there on there phone, so I get in front of them and go even slower, idiots. :D

Originally posted by naomi1

I wonder what kind of women u deal with... :confused::laugh:

come over to my workplace...i deal with them all day and all week long...they come in here looking like that lady from the movie "Airplane", when she goes into the bathroom to do her makeup during the landing...scary sight at 8 in the morning....:tongue:

Cell phone hands free use only laws are passed to increase revenue of already wealthy cell phone companies that manufacture these products. Simply put, cell phone sales have leveled off, or at least are not as robust as they were previously and never will be, so the companies lobby representatives in wealthy areas of the country where cell phones are heavily used and get laws passed so they can force us to buy something we don't want or need, to line their pockets with loot.

come over to my workplace...i deal with them all day and all week long...they come in here looking like that lady from the movie "Airplane", when she goes into the bathroom to do her makeup during the landing...scary sight at 8 in the morning....:tongue:

:laugh: That must be a scary site :eek:

Originally posted by thepulse

Cell phone hands free use only laws are passed to increase revenue of already wealthy cell phone companies that manufacture these products. Simply put, cell phone sales have leveled off, or at least are not as robust as they were previously and never will be, so the companies lobby representatives in wealthy areas of the country where cell phones are heavily used and get laws passed so they can force us to buy something we don't want or need, to line their pockets with loot.

Im soooo with you on that one....Those bastards!....:bigfinge::2guns:

Originally posted by thepulse

You've gotta love the capitalistic spirit!!!!! DAMN BASTARDS!!!!

Not really...they give away handsfree devices nowadays on various websites.

I'm a government-minimalist. I think the government should just do national and civil defense, enforce personal property rights, provide basic services (water, power, public transit -- very important), and so forth. If I want to be stupid and chat while driving, it's my own business.

I agree w/ Pod about the government should let us decide if we want to talk and drive at the same time. But unfortunately, accidents have occurred that have caught the public eye. The thought people have died b/c some idiot was not paying attention. But they (advocates for putting restrictions on cell usage ) have not pointed out is that cell phones are only part of the problem. You have people all the time eating, putting on make-up ( which I am guilt of that plenty of times ), talking to someone in the car whether casual or even having an argument with someone in the car. All of these also can contribute to accidents on the road. The question here is are they also going to put restrictions on these too???

For those who don't know the process of how laws can be put into place... one form of a law ( ordinance or statue ) can be use to persuade those in power to decide on similar issues to amend another form the law. Example: These restriction on cell phone usage....They now have some bases to support their issues on why people should not talk to people in the car while driving or eating, and even putting on make - up... This is something everyone should consider thinking about.

Are we going to allow someone else to tell us when and when not to do something.............???? :confused::eek:

Thanks Naomi for that info ! :)

It sucks but I think it would be a good thing for us to loose distractions while looking for the phone as it rings. Luckily I have not been involved in an accident but there are some people that do not know how to drive properly without a phone.

Those wires are kind of silly just hanging from the side of the person's face. It looks annoying too. oh well ! better than a fine!

I went to L.a. last year and everyone was using those wires and the cops there are super strict, i thought it was too strict for having laws on cell phones. If the L.a. crowd can handle it, we sure can ..... in L.a. clubs you can not smoke u must go outside or to a patio if there is one. I really don't care cause I am not a smoker but thats strict.

As for cell phones ...even though the wire is kind of cheesy

safety is first, Style is second !

plus its just a matter of getting into the habit of answering the phones differently.

hee hee :D

FlyG.

Thanks Naomi for that info ! :)

It sucks but I think it would be a good thing for us to loose distractions while looking for the phone as it rings. Luckily I have not been involved in an accident but there are some people that do not know how to drive properly without a phone.

Those wires are kind of silly just hanging from the side of the person's face. It looks annoying too. oh well ! better than a fine!

I went to L.a. last year and everyone was using those wires and the cops there are super strict, i thought it was too strict for having laws on cell phones. If the L.a. crowd can handle it, we sure can ..... in L.a. clubs you can not smoke u must go outside or to a patio if there is one. I really don't care cause I am not a smoker but thats strict.

As for cell phones ...even though the wire is kind of cheesy

safety is first, Style is second !

plus its just a matter of getting into the habit of answering the phones differently.

hee hee :D

FlyG.

I just got back from the hospital.

My best friend from high schools mother is in I.C.U. She wanted to buy a computer, so I told her I would build one for her. We were just out picking up parts. Unfortunately, we were just railed by a motorist who ran a red light. I'm fine, but she is far from it. His only defense was that he didn't see the light because he was talking on his cel phone. My guess is he wouldn't have admitted that if he wasn't in the state of shock.

I agree that sometimes these types of laws are a bit high handed. I for one can handle a car while I'm on the phone, but obviously others can't. It sucks that I can't talk on the phone now without a hands free set, but maybe if this law were already in place, I wouldn't have had to go to the hospital yesterday.

Drew

I am sorry hear about your accident drewbongiorno. I hope your friend's mother is okay.

But this is a perfect example why the law was put into place. Unfortunately, this is the way it has to be which can open the doors to other issues but as they come I hope we all stand up for our rights. :eek:

They have had the law in effect for about a year now in NY, and it seems to work well, but i suspect only about 40 percent of the people have the hands free casue at night the cops cant seee and all you have to do is put the phone down if you see a cop.

I hate my cell phone.. buts its req for my business so i have to have you can bet the company is gojn g to pay for the hands free kit,, is there anything else besides that dorky wire?

Originally posted by xtreme-1

They have had the law in effect for about a year now in NY, and it seems to work well, but i suspect only about 40 percent of the people have the hands free casue at night the cops cant seee and all you have to do is put the phone down if you see a cop.

I hate my cell phone.. buts its req for my business so i have to have you can bet the company is gojn g to pay for the hands free kit,, is there anything else besides that dorky wire?

There are different types of hand free kits that work really well that don't cost a small fortune. You just have to shop around and you will find. Your best bet would be to search the internet under "hands free kit" and you will get thousands of sites. Check out what are the ones available and then either buy it over the net or see if you local electronic stores has it stock. Most of the time they have it.

I understand your pain...My previous job required me to drive allot and to use the cell to get into contact w/ my clients. It is a pain in the butt.