Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ill be the 1st to admit promoters have ruined the scene

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . hate to break it to you , but the southland and the west coast can (or could at one time) kick the shit out of new York from a purely musical standpoint . .. There are exceptions where NY wins . .but overal, it's just NOT the best as a whole. .

. . I've gone into this waaay to many times on this board, and I don't feel like arguing about it right now . . I will agree with you, New York IS a great place to go out and get your fill of beat subculture, it is not, however the best scene that has existed, or exists in this country . . ..

nu - uh dont bring up the west coast scene.. i had to live with it for 2 years.. no good.. i mean there are a few spots in Cali that can pass off as good.. but nothing great!

and why the heck are there so many promoters???

honestly the parties u see promoted the most is Roxy Friday and Exit Friday .. and although Roxy wasn't that bad last friday.. those parties aren't good representation on the NYC scene

Originally posted by crystelbella21

nu - uh dont bring up the west coast scene.. i had to live with it for 2 years.. no good.. i mean there are a few spots in Cali that can pass off as good.. but nothing great!

honestly the parties u see promoted the most is Roxy Friday and Exit Friday .. and although Roxy wasn't that bad last friday.. those parties aren't good representation on the NYC scene

There are so many promoters because everyone figures out that if you have a team underneath you, you get paid teamleader commission on everyone your team brings for you. Among other reasons.

Places like SF, Exit and Roxy will have eleventybillion promoters because 1) they're big spaces and need lots of people to make them do well and 2) they know they can have 50 kids that will bring in 9 heads (or more than that and they can cut the numbers under ten) and that gives them hundreds of paying heads that they didn't pay out for. If these kids bitch and get upset, they're expendable for the next batch, so it works nicely for the club to keep em all insignificant.

But you're not going to get rid of promoters - without heavy promotion, who knows about the party? The system needs a reform but the distribution and word of mouth still needs to be out there.

yo from my seat, i just moved to the city from dc where i didn't need to know promoters cuz i knew the peeps throwin the party, but it took a year to get into that vibe.

So in defense of the promotin shite, they ain't all bad. I didn't wanna take a year to get t'know the city. Just putting my name out promoters have helped me out so i give them their due respect. Everyone keep goin' to roxy, exit or wherever, at least ya stay outta my hair.

In the end, itz all mickey mouse....

Originally posted by crystelbella21

i dunno about the "scene" but in purely musical terms (ie labels, records coming out of the west) i say the west beats east hands down. production wise NYC only comes out with crap house and cheesy ktu trance. and the occasional boring techno. sorry sonic groove just aint my jam.

out west you got viva recordings in seattle tearing shit up....in cali you got fucking plastic city, jump recordings which is my FUCKING JAM right now, you got solid trax from santa clara, siesta, tango, grayhound from frisco........shit do i need to go on???? what do we got in the east? like yoshitoshi from DC that's about it.....

this is all for house though, but the U.S. is just lacking quality production in general except for maybe detroit and some chicago....ppl need to start getting in on this shit and putting some quality records out. ne1 wanna start a label? ;)