Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what is soul?

Originally posted by vicman

That was long

Originally posted by therunner

Yes it was, and I still don't understand it.

yeah, it was long, and, well, a little british and therefore off, but, at 2 in the morning, i was very proud of myself for being able to decode that fucker as well as i did. and, when i was finished and read the lyrics as i listened, i came to know exactly what he was talking about :shades2: .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soul is the part of music that evokes an emotional and/or visceral response from a listener; it comes from the passion of the artist/musician/producer/whatever. It's the part that touches you in a way that can be almost painful. Not all music has soul- not even all good music- that's what makes it something you notice- because it doesn't exist in everything. Also, not everyone picks up on soul all the time. It depends on what your personal preferences in music are in the first place.

That's not very different from what some others have said, but i thought i'd give it a shot anyway! :D

Meg

Originally posted by zaguero

You forgot to add the..... boyeeeeeeeee :D

...a little Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite, Cabana boy in tow (it is summer, so all girls must have cabana boys) and awwwwww yeeeahhhh....thanks for reminding me ;)

Isn't summer grand?

And I like the way dragongrrrl put it, "Not all music has soul- not even all good music- that's what makes it something you notice- because it doesn't exist in everything. Also, not everyone picks up on soul all the time. It depends on what your personal preferences in music are in the first place."

Hee-hee, I bet somewhere out in Montana there is a rancher grooving to some country tune - because for him, it's got soul.

Originally posted by dragongrrrl

Soul is the part of music that evokes an emotional and/or visceral response from a listener; it comes from the passion of the artist/musician/producer/whatever. It's the part that touches you in a way that can be almost painful. Not all music has soul- not even all good music- that's what makes it something you notice- because it doesn't exist in everything. Also, not everyone picks up on soul all the time. It depends on what your personal preferences in music are in the first place.

That's not very different from what some others have said, but i thought i'd give it a shot anyway! :D

Meg

i think meg wins!!!

Meg

i especially liked what you said about it almost being painful. . .that i know i've felt before with the right inspiration.

umm, the prize really wasn't that good. . .i was going to let the winner see an embarassing picture of me in my "oldskool" candykid days (actually not that long ago, '97, puahhaha). . .but since you don't really know me, i don't think it'll be of any value to you. . .

props to meg! (clapping)

oh, and millie, analogies are tough. :tongue: but i can dig what you said, SUBSTANCE. (though i think it's more than substance, but i know what you meant to say ;) )

and silly rabbit, you are absolutely right. dance and GROOVE are two very different things.

props to all. we got to do this again.

Originally posted by scratchapella

umm, the prize really wasn't that good. . .i was going to let the winner see an embarassing picture of me in my "oldskool" candykid days (actually not that long ago, '97, puahhaha). . .but since you don't really know me, i don't think it'll be of any value to you. . .\

ummm.....WE WANNA SEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! actually, i *think* maybe i saw an old kandied-out pic of you before somewheres???

C'MON C'MON C'MON NOW!!!:D

Originally posted by MadamMillie

ummm.....WE WANNA SEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! actually, i *think* maybe i saw an old kandied-out pic of you before somewheres???

C'MON C'MON C'MON NOW!!!:D

Yeah, come on- where is it?? I *heart* pictures of kandy kids- even if i have no idea who you are! :D

I want my prize! Let's see!!

:laugh:

Meg

Yeah, come on- where is it?? I *heart* pictures of kandy kids- even if i have no idea who you are! :D

I want my prize! Let's see!!

:laugh:

Meg

Calm down you didn't win a prize, second place gets nothing.......