Clubplanet Nightlife Community

**the official "whatever happened to...?" thread**

weyes

here's a list to compile, kids. i'm wondering about these things, maybe you guys have answers, and maybe you've got some questions, too. whatever happened to...

1. freezy freakies? ok, maybe i shouldn't ask this one on the l.a. board, because they were a cold weather thing. but they were the winter gloves that changed pattern in the cold. they were kind of foam-like - kind of like spaceman gloves. they'd have, for instance, a blank sky when you were inside, but when you went outside in the snow, rockets would appear. those kicked ass, and the youngun's today should have 'em.

2. lunchboxes with imprinted or painted designs? now they're all just scenes stuck on - one big ol' sticker. yeah, it's a great pokemon picture, but it's just a sticker and comes right off.

3. un-padded bras? ok, they're around. i just mean that padded are easier to find, more heavily marketed, and, from what i can tell, more popular :confused: .

i know you're probably wondering how i went from lunchboxes to bras, but this list is just getting started :) .

i remember having those metal lunch boxes when i was kid, with star wars thingies molded into the metal. they eventually rusted, but it was so cool when you got the new "hot" lunch box out there and brought it school for the first time.

hmm..i dunno about the bras, since i dont use 'em :D

i dont know about the winter gloves, since i basically grew up in hot weather climates :(

also, whatever happened to boo-berry and frankenberry cereal? all i see around now a days is count chocula. :mad:

yeah, the metal ones did have their disadvantages; your lunch'd get all hot if your box was left in the sun. but it was the permanence of putting those kiddie crazes - those flashes in the pan - on metal, that was so great to me.

ok. so, what are we up to?

4. boo-berry and frankenberry? i'll put them together, 'cause they had the same spirit goin' on. i never had either, though. but i will add alpha-bits, the only sugar cereal i was allowed to eat. or should i shut my trap, 'cause that's still around :worry: ?

i said i'd have more...

5. movie musicals? i haven't seen one on the big screen, ever. man, i love gene kelly, judy garland, leslie caron - just everything about musicals. the way the characters get swept off their feet by every emotion, and sweep the audience off their feet with them. and music is such a deep part of a person - musicals get down to the basics. and we don't need to talk about how important music is to the lives of us here on cp. and if anyone here even so much as THINKS of mentioning either "dancer in the dark" or "moulin rouge" as examples of musicals in my movie-going lifetime, don't even TRY to make me even CONSIDER those pieces of total GARBAGE that don't even come close to understanding the genre to be anything other than the tragic wastes of talent, time, and money that they were for EVERYONE involved, even the kids who sold popcorn in the theater.

What about lost beverages? Does anyone remember 'Burple?' It was this kool-aid like product that came in an accordine like thermos thing that should could stretch out or scrunch up. Very 1987.

Or what about the greatest Hi-C flavor ever: Ecto-cooler. It was named after 'Slimer' from ghostbusters!?!? That stuff was so tastey.

Lets not forget about 'Boku,' the adult juice box. Does anyone remember this one? It was a 12oz juice box pitched by Richard Lewis. I just remember it had the nastiest flavors- like 18 fruit blend, and apple-guava-berry or something equally repulsive. :puke:

Originally posted by weyes

5. movie musicals? i haven't seen one on the big screen, ever. man, i love gene kelly, judy garland, leslie caron - just everything about musicals. the way the characters get swept off their feet by every emotion, and sweep the audience off their feet with them. and music is such a deep part of a person - musicals get down to the basics. and we don't need to talk about how important music is to the lives of us here on cp. and if anyone here even so much as THINKS of mentioning either "dancer in the dark" or "moulin rouge" as examples of musicals in my movie-going lifetime, don't even TRY to make me even CONSIDER those pieces of total GARBAGE that don't even come close to understanding the genre to be anything other than the tragic wastes of talent, time, and money that they were for EVERYONE involved, even the kids who sold popcorn in the theater.

What about EVITA?

i would take it a step further, what ever happened to good movie, where there was a great story and great acting. seems that nowadays most of the major studios just bring in big name actors, put in tons of special "de"fects and make millions out of it. i guess thats why i havent gone to the movies in a very long time. i've been sticking to independent and foeregn films basically over the past few years.

Originally posted by vicman

i would take it a step further, what ever happened to good movie, where there was a great story and great acting. seems that nowadays most of the major studios just bring in big name actors, put in tons of special "de"fects and make millions out of it. i guess thats why i havent gone to the movies in a very long time. i've been sticking to independent and foeregn films basically over the past few years.

I live close to the Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Blvd, and periodically they hold these independent screenings, films that have won awards in festivals, etc., and don't even have distribution deals, and 99% of the time I am amazed. When you look at the schlock in the theaters and then attend these screenings, stories that touch you and change your perspective, that affect you viscerally and not because of the expensive effects or set design. You leave the screening exhilarated at the experience but sad that few will get a chance to share that...

Originally posted by joeygk

What about EVITA?

i didn't see it, but calling madonna either an actress or a singer is incorrect.

so, we have:

6. various and sundry odd, overpackaged, yet fun beverages?

7. films with a new story to tell/a different perspective/heart, soul, real humanity?

and i'd like to add:

8. dances with names? we don't have to go as far back as the waltz or the fox trot, not even as far back as the twist, not as far back as the swim. i'm talkin' about as recently as the butterfly, the roger rabbit, and my fave, the running man :spin2: . i dunno - it's just so much fun to be able to have a move with a name to it, and that ensures that it will fall into a time capsule.

8. dances with names? we don't have to go as far back as the waltz or the fox trot, not even as far back as the twist, not as far back as the swim. i'm talkin' about as recently as the butterfly, the roger rabbit, and my fave, the running man :spin2: . i dunno - it's just so much fun to be able to have a move with a name to it, and that ensures that it will fall into a time capsule.

My personal favs------> the electric slide and the worm! You should see Vic dance, he can do a hybrid move that combines the above two dances into one! It's called the Mexican Dancing Worm! :laugh:

what exactly is the difference between the cabbage patch and the butterchurner? 'cause the cabbage patch looks like you're churning butter. i've always been confused about that one. and please give me an explanation of the lawnmower! i've never heard of that one! it's my goal to learn every dance that has a name.

my friend todd invented one that he called "let's go shopping". i then saw paul van dyk rip it off years later on the video that was included with out there and back. ah, pvd did slip down a rung in my ladder of adoration that day :( .

the cabbagepatch and the butterchurner might just be the same, i dunno, if the cabbagepatch looks like your churning butter then they might be one and the same.

in the BC (buuter churner) you kinda clench your hands and kinda pretend your churning butter moving them in a circular inward and outward motion.

th elawnmower you also ckinda clench your hands and move them in a straight inward and outward motion like if yu wre mowing the lawn with a lawnmower machine.

i've also heard about the monkey in the shower dance, but i dunno if it really exists or if its just a rumor. :confused:

Originally posted by godfatherbam

well, back east we have the "nordic Track" u guys would love it its a house step we named after the exercise machine :laugh:

i remember the nordic track..i think..oh yeah, yeah, i remember it now, i rememeber th emachin and in the dance you mimicked the way you would move like if you exercised on the machine

i always like to see other people dance when i go out. usually when i'm taking a break from dancing myself i walk around or stand for a few minutes and see the styles other people have.

some just stand next to the speaker all night..other have the guido move down to a science by taking their shirt off and just swaying back and forth grinding poor innocent victims..other tear the florr up...and oh gawd..i remember when i went to exit for tiesto there was this cute girl that had the moves going on, then she did "the worm"..no problem, the only thing was that the floor was disgusting, dont even want to imagine the stuff on the floor, especially since th bathrooms are so clean in there ....she was wearing a top.... :woah::vomit2:

i love to watch people, too. and the east coast definitely dances differently than the west. (and, i dare say, much better :tongue: !)

i also like to represent :cool: my homies on the floor when i'm not with them. you know, like a little tribute to them. kinda like "doin' 'the brandon'." unfortunately, as time has gone by, i've forgotten a lot of my former friends' moves, and too many of my new friends just like to stand and stare at the djs (what's up with that?).

my theory is that the older one gets, the more likely that individual is stay around the dj booth standing next to the subwoofer, speaker or staring at the dj. this is merely a hypothesis, i have no scientific data to back this up.

we need research on the area. i'll write up a proposal. i'll ask for $25mil. in fundage

i dunno, vic. we had a name, back in the day, for the people who were glued to the speakers, but that was when i went to underground raves, and these were different speaker peeps. these were the ones who faced the speakers and put their palms on them - standing close enough to go deaf. but they did it to be one with the music :rainbow: . i think we called them "bassbabies," but i may be misremembering. they were always the young'uns, though, and usually the most fucked up in the place. they were also the ones who, on the way home, would always say, "dude, can you still hear the bass?"

but back to the "standing in front" phenomenon - are you referring to the "dj whore" affliction that kicks in when one reaches the age of, about, say, 27 ;) ?

but back to the "standing in front" phenomenon - are you referring to the "dj whore" affliction that kicks in when one reaches the age of, about, say, 27 ;) ?

so it might be that the ones standing around the speakers are the ones that are more FUBAR, I see..as I said, we need more research in the area :D

well, i do admit that my dj whoring for a while did take a turn for the worse, but rumors going around about me are NOT true, NOT true I say! :worry: but still my level of dj whoring remains at a healthy level, far from teh experts we have on the DC board, I'm way behind their level. I still like to run around the club through out the night, although again, I fall short of the true zen master, joeykg, he looks like squirrel --> avatar.php?userid=97650&dateline=1017609134