Clubplanet Nightlife Community

cross-fader or channel volumes to bring in a mix?

Originally posted by MadamMillie

does it matter? which one? why? depends on the mixer?

i'm personally using the channel volumes, but solely b/c that's what a friend showed me. plus i know the cross-fader on my mixer is not the sturdiest thing.

There's no right or wrong way to do it. The channel faders allow you to bring things in and out gradually. The cross fader allows you to slam channels in and out if you're gonna scratch. It's a matter of personal preference.

I use the channel faders and leave the cross fader at the '5'. But do what feels comfortable. Don't let anyone tell you there's a right and wrong way. You can also use both. Bring volume down on the channel you're bringing in, slide the cross fader over. Then gradually bring the volume up. Bring the volume of the playing channel down a little bit, and then slide the cross fader all the way over.

Or you can do the exact same thing with just the channel faders.

Or you can do the exact same thing with just the cross fader by moving it over a quarter inch at a time.

Totally personal preference.

I started out using the channel volumes, but I think it's good to be able to do both. I actually like using the channel volumes more, but I need to start using the cross fader more for quick cuts when spinning breaks and techno. So you're learning to spin, Millie?

When I started mixing I was using the cross fader all the time, and the channel mixers, as fine tuning adjustment on the levels. Then I started working with a DJ at Metatrack Studios, and realised that for Progressive, and Trance music that the channel faders are actually much better for a seamless mix. Now usually I use the gain(or level control) if I need more or less on a channel. How I see it, you have

this much space for the cross fader to fade:

- - - - - - -

comapred to this much space for the channel faders and this is on each channel:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Of course the trusty cross fader is still essential when you wanna just slam in the new song.

Just play around with everything on your mixer after you get the beatmatching down. You will find the way that suits you best. You could even use the EQs for mixing if you want, by peicing things in and out.

Good luck, and most of all have fun.