Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Livin in Astoria, DSL or CAble?

help me out! CAble v.s DSL gimme the lowdown!

which is better, why and what service to get? time to get online @ home again.......

from what I've seen its about the same price ($50 or so) a month for either one, but which should we get?

Originally posted by bustaknut2001

Cable companies are a lot more stable than dsl companies.

not necessarily

covad is back from bankrupcty, and earthlink is not going under anytime soon. Adelphia, RCN and @home have all gone under this past year, and there may be problems as comcast and at&t combine their networks

I had Bell Atlantic/DSL in Astoria for about 5 months before I got fed up and got Roadrunner. DSL was always going down, slower than my cable is now. Cable is SOLID, also you can get a package to go with your cable TV (if you already have it) and it can be set up FAST.... I called up Time Warner and went and picked up my cable modem to hook it up myself within hours. I waited a month to get DSL, don't know what the case is with that wait now though. DSL is very risky/hit or miss... depends on the quality of your particular phone lines, distance from the central station, etc. again cable is more solid when it comes to this, even though your sharing access over a network, it's nowhere near being congested.

Originally posted by hoke

I have Verizon DSL in Astoria and it kicks ass... never been down.

verizon DSL Packages:

Package 1 - Up to 768 Kbps/128 Kbps $29.95* ($49 after 3 months, so basically $45 a month)

Package 2 - Up to 1.5 Mbps/128 Kbps $59.95

which one do you have?

Cable:

Road Runner is $59 a month (first month free)....or $100 with cable/madd channels...

TOUGH CALL....hearing both sides of the coin...

If we get DSL, does $59 cover it, or do we also need to pay a phone bill? (right now we're living off cellies)

:confused:

I have 1.5mbps... soooo sweet!

For me the DSL is a better deal because I don't even own a television... no sense in paying for cable that I'm not going to watch. I do have to pay for a land line though -- which I would do anyway, so it's not a big deal (I don't get good cell reception in my apartment).

I really think it comes down to your individual situation... I chose the package that's best for me personally.

CABLE is better then DSL, Even though you share CABLE with neijbors on your nodes it can attain higher speeds that regular ADSL can't reach... It costs just about the same, the only problem is you need to be 20,000 feet near a DSL station!

Originally posted by rdancer

CABLE is better then DSL, Even though you share CABLE with neijbors on your nodes it can attain higher speeds that regular ADSL can't reach... It costs just about the same, the only problem is you need to be 20,000 feet near a DSL station!

See my post above... in my case, cable is FAR more expensive than DSL... again, it depends on your situation.

I don't know why people insist on turning this into a black-or-white debate... it's not that straightforward.

Your right it is, but everthing that I have come accross has said that DSL is a dying breed of technology and cable is here to replace it, simply look @ the amount of uses who use both and you will see that cable is far more superior, Im not knocking the technology of DSL it was good in its time, but like ISDN its used a lot less. Its good though that people hacve a choice Ya know !:D

i've had both

you'll get better performance out of dsl IF you can get it to work properly and have it be stable. This is a big if though. I couldn't get mine to work consistently so i switched to cable and haven't had any problems. This was probably almost a year ago.

Verizon may have this sorted out now. If not they're screwed.

ive had both dsl and cable. of course if given the choice, which currently i am not, i would choose cable. cable is way faster than most dsl but it is not more stable.

i always thought dsl really sucked until i recently got verizon dsl and its not too bad. my computer has been up with a constant connection for a week+ & i have only had about 5 minutes of downtime (that im aware of) since i got dsl.

i would love to get a cable modem. i thought i would switch if cable became available in my area but now im begining to question whether i would. my dsl is fast & stable + its my own line so it doesnt slow down, even if everyone in my neighborhood is using the internet.

:idea:

covad is back from bankrupcty, and earthlink is not going under anytime soon. Adelphia, RCN and @home have all gone under this past year, and there may be problems as comcast and at&t combine their networks

Wut do u mean RCN has gone under??? I am using RCN CABLE right now to put up this post.