Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Whats wrong with hiphop today... Oh, I'll tell you...

Originally posted by bbbooom

who is his daddy?

actually, I think i'm wrong on that one...

I know one of the major rappers has their son doing shit or something... I forget (don't care) who...

either way, its commercial garbage...

Originally posted by joeg

actually, I think i'm wrong on that one...

I know one of the major rappers has their son doing shit or something... I forget (don't care) who...

either way, its commercial garbage...

~~ i think u were talking about lil'Romeo masterP's son......im just as annoyed by all that bs too.........to me its 2PAC FOREVER.....rap is supposed to be about life on the streets, poverty, crime, drugs, not about diamonds or cars or cristal(tastes like ginger ale gone wrong btw):puke:

Originally posted by sexxyh

~~ i think u were talking about lil'Romeo masterP's son......im just as annoyed by all that bs too

YES!!! exactly.

hes the aaron carter of rap.

what ever happened to b-boy style? breakdancing?

bill gates can throw bentleys away, but i don't want to see him rapping either...

what about all the rap videos that are on the ariwaves today? Name me one vided that DOESNT have either; Girls dancing, thugs standing around or guys driving around in expensive, flashy cars..

Where is the originality? The creativity? All down to the toilet.

:mad:

OKAY Hip-Hop / Rap is a subculture where it belongs and where its going is not up to anyone to say, once un-leashed on the populous the monster has a mind of its own.

Dance music and electronica went through the same.

Unlike electronica hip-hop does have a mainstream acceptance.

Incidentaly I saw Black Sheep live @ the Knitting factory 4 months back and They were not all that great.

Personaly I'm not a fan of Bad boy records or anything westcoast for that matter, but people have exposure and promotion so they are going to do what they are going to do no matter whether you want them to or not,

The public has the final say!

For any other issues about

"WHAT HAPPENED?" I shall refer everyone to a poem that aired on HBO :: Russel Simmons :: Def Poets

entitled

"Take me back to the day when Hip-Hop was ONE"

- Dennis

I've never posted here before, simply because I've never felt a need to. But in this case, I think you all are missing something important regarding the state of hip-hop. As is the case in most genres that have mass-media appeal, quality exists below the surface. This is especially true in the world of hip-hop.

I completely agree that Jay-Z, Puff Daddy, and company completely suck. But those who did not suck even when they made it to the main stream are those who retained their underground style, stayed true, and did not sell out. Biggie, Pac, and Eminem are examples that come to mind.

So in search of good hip-hop now, just look below the surface. I promise you that it DOES EXIST. Mos Def is awesome. Talib Kweli isnt bad either, even though I think he has sold out a bit. Jurassic 5 kicks some of the chillest, smoothest beats I've ever heard. Black Eyed Peas could even be considered in this group, except I was appalled to see their Dr Pepper commercial. Even rappers that most people havent heard of have talent on par with anybody. I saw MC Supernatural open for J-5, and he left me in awe. One of the best freestylists I've ever heard.

One closing note: when discussing the greatness of hiphop artists of the past, do not forget A Tribe Called Quest. They are a great example of a group that stayed true even after finding mass success, and they remained at the top of the hiphop game basically until the broke up.

Originally posted by ericmz

I've never posted here before, simply because I've never felt a need to. But in this case, I think you all are missing something important regarding the state of hip-hop. As is the case in most genres that have mass-media appeal, quality exists below the surface. This is especially true in the world of hip-hop.

I completely agree that Jay-Z, Puff Daddy, and company completely suck. But those who did not suck even when they made it to the main stream are those who retained their underground style, stayed true, and did not sell out. Biggie, Pac, and Eminem are examples that come to mind.

So in search of good hip-hop now, just look below the surface. I promise you that it DOES EXIST. Mos Def is awesome. Talib Kweli isnt bad either, even though I think he has sold out a bit. Jurassic 5 kicks some of the chillest, smoothest beats I've ever heard. Black Eyed Peas could even be considered in this group, except I was appalled to see their Dr Pepper commercial. Even rappers that most people havent heard of have talent on par with anybody. I saw MC Supernatural open for J-5, and he left me in awe. One of the best freestylists I've ever heard.

One closing note: when discussing the greatness of hiphop artists of the past, do not forget A Tribe Called Quest. They are a great example of a group that stayed true even after finding mass success, and they remained at the top of the hiphop game basically until the broke up.

Welcome to CP. :D

Originally posted by homersimpson

There hasn't been a decent hip-hop group since Public Enemy. They were by far the best of the bunch. End of story. The horseshit that's being produced now make me ill.

I like Public Enemy too.

Their record "Public Enemy No.!" is

famous scrachin' source.

EPMD "So Whacha Sayin" scrached by DJ Scrach

is brilliant !!!!!!!!!!

And You younger Hip-Hop fan needs to find

old Kid Capri mix tape.

Good-Bye Hip-Hop.

I think what we're dealing with today's rappers is in essence the first hip hop generation to be making some serious cash, and in a lot of cases the first people from they're families to be making some real cash. Hip hop though has always been about being flashy, the sugar hill gang, kurtis blow were wearing shiny suits in they're videos and performances when puffy still had his baby teeth in. Of course he and mase glorified the shiny suit some 20 years later. Then you had the grandmaster flash and the furious five, who yes, spoke of the struggles of everyday life for a black man growing up( just like jayz and nas do today). Even Knowledge reign supreme aka KRS-One at one time posed with gold chains and 9mm on his album covers(criminal minded and perhaps return to the boom bap). Original def jam artists run dmc, beastie boys and ll cool j all rapped about having a good time, getting girls, gold chains and they're ill adidas, because in retrospect, thats all they could afford....rappers today rap about platinum and diamonds and bentleys because quiet honestly they can afford it. Most rappers from yesteryear didn't see million record sales. I'll admit, there is some CRAP out there, mostly coming from the midwest and down south (ie...cash money and no limit labels)....but i personally respect what both puffy and jayz have done for they're respective bad boy and rocafella labels. When i see guys like these two and so many more, i think...hey another black man has made it. that's one less black family living in the projects, thats one less family robbing and stealing to get by etc etc. and the more of these that come out, the more jobs they can create for more black families...i'm all for it. let them keep wearing the prada, chanel, gucci, chloe. I applaud them. What we're seeing today from these rap superstars is similar to the explosion we saw in the early and mid 80's from rockers like ozzy, red hot chilli peppers, motley crue etc...these guys knew how to party...rappers today are just the same, only substituting the coke and heroin and vodka for cristal, hydro and e-pills.... these are just my personal views, i'm a sucker who loves jay-z's wit, puffy's ingenious 1970's samplings, and nas's illmatic album .....

Flips signing off

hip hop fan since 1987

The people in this thread tends to talk about

"Which Rapper is cool and successed?"

"which song and rhyme is cool or sucked"

Why nobody talk about Hip-hop DJ's?

I heard one of many origin of Hip-Hop is from "DJ-ing"

using 2 turntables and disco-mixer.

Could you imagine using 2 non-hiphop records to continue to break beats?

I think that's one of Hip-Hop.

"Funky Drammer" by James Brown

"Back in Black" by ACDC

"Gorgy Porgy" by TOTO

Those are hip-hop too for me.

http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Calendar-X!ArticleDetail-63259,00.html

From the article:

Consumer surveys show that the majority of rap album buyers are suburban white males in their teens...No one expects rap or hip-hop to disappear, but is it in danger of losing the vibrancy that has made it the most exciting real estate on the pop music landscape in the past 20 years? The sharp first-quarter sales decline might be explained away by a lack of high-profile releases, but some observers say the genre may also have a drought of true superstars..."I don't see the new stars pushing things forward, not like the generations before them," esteemed rap video director Hype Williams said. "I wish I did."...Some observers point to the deaths of superstars such as 2Pac and the Notorious B.I.G., but others blame the genre's culture of cash competition and the narrow thematic focus of hard-core street rap; the former pushes toward the predictable mainstream where wide audiences can be found, while the latter creates a repetitious revisiting of topics that rarely feels fresh or edgy anymore.

Originally posted by smokesum

in regards to dance scene, what ever happened to dying your hair, dressing outrageously, and all that shit

now all i see is the same clones wit FCUK cut off shirts

well then.. next time you go out, dye your hair.. dress outrageously, be nice to random people you meet and "all that shit".. and if you're "too old" or have "been in the scene too long" to do that.. then you're most likely part of the problem leading to seeing clones with FCUK cut off shirts all over the place..