Clubplanet Nightlife Community

i need some car advice

i found a good deal on a used 2001 mitsubishi eclipse for 8,100 with everything...>CD player, air conditioning, power seats ect. the car looks like its in good condition....no strings attached. A brand new eclipse for 2002 would cost me a bit more lik 15,000. Even though the used car is for sale online should i still consider it?

help!

go look at it, test drive it. bring someone who knows alot about cars and engines with u so they can check things out like the head gasket, belts and hoses, all that shit.

the car sounds like a good deal, they always make it sound like a good deal. but u gotta think to urself, why is this person selling this car after only a year if there is nothin wrong with it?

Originally posted by vipsonly2000

i found a good deal on a used 2001 mitsubishi eclipse for 8,100 with everything...>CD player, air conditioning, power seats ect. the car looks like its in good condition....no strings attached. A brand new eclipse for 2002 would cost me a bit more lik 15,000. Even though the used car is for sale online should i still consider it?

help!

actually if u know a really good mechanic you should ask the person selling you the car if u can let someone take a look at it. you need to see under the car and take the tires off to check the brakes and shit. it is still very new with low miles and should still be under warranty so i see no reason there should be a problem with it but just have someone with professional knowledge look at it. i have 2 friends who have bought cars online and they had great luck with it. good luck to u:)

if you have serious doubts about whether it has problems or not, simply have it looked over by a mechanic. Shouldnt cost you too much for just a quick inspection, and it could save you from getting suckered into buying a car that will just end up breaking down.

Originally posted by vipsonly2000

Even though the used car is for sale online should i still consider it?

If it's online, where is it?

How many miles does it have?

Is it close enough where you can bring someone to check it out?

You might want to try www.carfax.com if you have the VIN number.

It will telll you if the car was involved in a major accident or a flood.

You can get the Blue Book Value of the car by going to www.kbb.com and putting all the info in.(mileage, condition, options, etc.)

Sometimes, if something looks too good to be true, it is.

Good luck

See my sig pic....

I'm guessing this is an Eclipse RS. 5spd or auto? If you have your heart set on the car then go for it, but only if this is what you really want. Sounds like a good price, a new Eclipse RS costs around $16k. A fully loaded GT costs around $23 or so, i forgot.

To be honest with you, I would never buy Mitsubishi again(except for the incoming Evo VII). They are made of cheap flimsy plastic and have problems. I'm a very picky person, I notice every little thing about my car. These are all problems that should not exist, and most have the potential of causing serious problems in the long term.

check out www.deadeclipse.com and tell me if u still want this car. I read and post on www.eclipseforums.org and have learned a great deal about my car.

You might save a few thousands now, but down the road you don't know how much the car will cost to maintain? It all depends how long you are planning on keeping the car. I'm going to keep mine for about 4-5 years total, approximately 70k miles. In my opinion keeping an eclipse for longer is an uneducated move, I wish I was educated before I bought mine. Drop me an IM if u have questions.

Hey, most mechanics places like Jiffy Lube and places like that, as well as the mitsu dealerships, do things called pre-purchase inspection. They check everything, tires, engines, brakes, belts, a/c everything to tell you if it works and more importantly how long before they need to be replaced (hence you know how much $$ to spend and when). But also they check to see if the car was in a wreck or if there was body damage.

If person doesn't agree to it f'em they have something to hide that will cost ya money down the road.

also to get negotiation points goto www.edmunds.com or www.kbb.com and type in the car and options and they will tell you what the price should be fairly accurately (they are the industry standard for pricing cars).

Good Luck cuz that car seems awfully cheap for 1-2 years old......

something seems off....the new eclipse loses value quickly, but not that quickly

my general advice is to stay away....the new eclipse is essentially a rebadged Chrysler Sebring

my neighbor has a '99 Sebring convertible. cost $30k new. top model, fully loaded. he has 30,000 miles on it, and its garaged all time. last week the transmission went :mad:

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

something seems off....the new eclipse loses value quickly, but not that quickly

my general advice is to stay away....the new eclipse is essentially a rebadged Chrysler Sebring

my neighbor has a '99 Sebring convertible. cost $30k new. top model, fully loaded. he has 30,000 miles on it, and its garaged all time. last week the transmission went :mad:

Almost. The 3rd generation(2000+) Eclipse came out first, then the 2G Stratus came out. The Stratus is the exact same car as the Eclipse. Same engine, interior, etc. So essentially it is still a hazard waiting to happen.

No kidding, I checked the value on my car and it is well below what i thought it would be. Cars suck.