Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ladies who fill their own gas tank...

The Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of "static" (that is, static electricity) at gas pumps. They have researched 150 cases of these fires. The results were very surprising:

1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.

2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished and they went back to pull the nozzle out the fire started, as a result of static.

3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.

4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.

5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas

6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.

7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was reentered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulting in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.

8) Seventeen fires that occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas. If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of this danger. You can find out more information by going to http://www.pei.org <http://www.pei.org> . Once here, click in the center of the screen where it says "Stop Static".

Originally posted by mylexicon

:rolleyes: excuse me....y'all are some high class people....sure must be nice:finger:

i agree....i'm a do it yourself kinda girl, none of this full service nonsence for me:cool:

:rolleyes: excuse me....y'all are some high class people....sure must be nice:finger:

i have no choice... all the sunocos in my neighborhood are fullserve... but funny thing is... i get out and pump it myself anyway... and do the windshiels and look at the oil and everything... and still tip the douche bag...

i never pump my own gas......it's not allowed......besides.....that's what the attendants are paid for anyway.........that's like...u coming into my salon...and cutting your own hair!.........but i do LOOOOVE the smell.....

anyhow...the gas men by me are dirty dirty old men.....totally perverted......barely speak english....yet manage to communicate any sexual or drug related thought they have....it's actually quite amusing....everyone in my area is really chummy with these lowlife exxon men........it pays off to befriend your local gas man...

lol yeah wtf is that all about.. I always pump my own gas... there is one gas station I go to that i have them pump my gas but the rest I always go to self serve.. Thanx for the tips and cautions tho...... :D

Thanks for the info!! I have owned my own car and driving since I am 16. So, lets see, I have now been driving for as long as most of you are old. I have been pumping my own gas, unless I happen to be in a place where they do it for you. I also check and know how to change my own oil!!! Plus all the other fluids in the CAR. I have never had any problems. HA! Ok, there was this one time... j/k!!! :D

Originally posted by goagirl63

Thanks for the info!! I have owned my own car and driving since I am 16. So, lets see, I have now been driving for as long as most of you are old. I have been pumping my own gas, unless I happen to be in a place where they do it for you. I also check and know how to change my own oil!!! Plus all the other fluids in the CAR. I have never had any problems. HA! Ok, there was this one time... j/k!!! :D

:D U tell them

Originally posted by liteflyr

uh no ...

all gas stations in nj are full service. other things found only in nj: u-turns and 24-hour diners :D

dude 24-hour diners are all over, not just in jersey. hello!!!!