Clubplanet Nightlife Community

***Firewall Help???***

sunnyhost

Does anyone know by any chance if its possible to get around firewalls for music (internet radio):confused: This is ridiculous...first my instant messaging, now my music....uuuggghhhhhh:mad: If anyone can help, i'd truly truly appreciate it!!!

THANKS!!!

it kind of depends what you are using to listen to the music and who is doing the broadcasting.

For example real audio allows the broadcast to work over http (port 80) which will always get through a firewall since it is the same port used for all webbrowsing. But the provider must support it too. (and your realaudio player must be configured properly)

try going under the tools menu and choose preferences.

click on the + next to connection on the left side of the window.

then click on network transports.

check the box to use specific UDP ports.

enter the number 80 into the box.

hit OK.

It should work for most of the stations. Some of the smaller ones are set up to use a specific port, then you are SOL.

Hope it works.... :)

Originally posted by laliux

and you think the IT people will give regular users the firewall info?

You can usually find out the ip of the firewall by going to a command promt and typing

tracert microsoft.com

or any website. The first ip address listed will most likely be the firewall.

he he he... you really dont have to worry about it, but I'll try anyway.

a firewall is usually a computer or router that all internet traffic goes through. Its job is to protect a network from attacks by only allowing certain types of trafic but filtering out other types of traffic.

a router is just a type of specialized computer (though it doesnt look like one) that relays information around.

all computers and routers on a network (or the internet) have a ip address. It is really just a number that identifies them to the world.

There are some programs out there (like the one Pod posted) that try to get around the filtering that firewalls do, but they need to know the ip address of the firewall.

I showed how you could figure out the ip address of a firewall by opening a command promt aka DOS window. You can do this by clicking on the start button in the lower left corner of your taskbar (just like when you shutdown your PC) and click on the Run command. It will open up a window and let you type wich program you want to run. Type the word "command" then hit the OK button. This should open up a nice black window that will let you type in stuff. If you type tracert and then a internet site such as microsoft.com it will show you all the routers that your data has to go through to get to the microsoft site. The first one is usually your firewall.

You can allso type "ipconfig" to see what your own ip address is.

thank you for attending networking 101 :)

Originally posted by shroomy

a firewall is usually a computer or router that all internet traffic goes through. Its job is to protect a network from attacks by only allowing certain types of trafic but filtering out other types of traffic.

a router is just a type of specialized computer (though it doesnt look like one) that relays information around.

all computers and routers on a network (or the internet) have a ip address. It is really just a number that identifies them to the world.

There are some programs out there (like the one Pod posted) that try to get around the filtering that firewalls do, but they need to know the ip address of the firewall.

I showed how you could figure out the ip address of a firewall by opening a command promt aka DOS window. You can do this by clicking on the start button in the lower left corner of your taskbar (just like when you shutdown your PC) and click on the Run command. It will open up a window and let you type wich program you want to run. Type the word "command" then hit the OK button. This should open up a nice black window that will let you type in stuff. If you type tracert and then a internet site such as microsoft.com it will show you all the routers that your data has to go through to get to the microsoft site. The first one is usually your firewall.

that's what i am saying man. Regular users don't know much about networking, even less about working on the command prompt or understanding about IPs. A "power user" is a different thing.

Damn, man! that was really an intensive course on How to find your IP settings!!:D

Go to to your company intranet home page. In the bottom of the page (status bar) you will notice when you go from page to page

Contacting host: hostname:port number

That is how you can always find out the port number if you don't know it.

Originally posted by djfrosty

Go to to your company intranet home page. In the bottom of the page (status bar) you will notice when you go from page to page

Contacting host: hostname:port number

That is how you can always find out the port number if you don't know it.

Wow! English!!! Thank you!!! I'll have to give it a try in the a.m :)

P.S: Shroomy and Lalo....thank you very much for all you help...but I think that class was at a honors level...I needed it to be brought down a notch;) :tongue::D Thanks again though u kool kumputer kats u!

Originally posted by shroomy

that's some good shit there Charlie! :eek::)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jroo
Originally posted by pod

This software is kinda complicated for the novice, but it will allow most apps to traverse a firewall

http://www.socks.nec.com/

You have to know what your firewall's IP is, too. I say most apps since some just ain't gettin' to work. :)

I dont want to buy any software, i just want to get my IM'ing working again. i installed a router at home, and i believe it came with a firewall, i want to be able to direct connect with people, but i cant cuz of this fucking thing, please help!!