Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cooljunkie Competition - Round 1

o0djfx0o

Some observations I had...

The First DJ, Johnny Ramirez played a very Tribal set. The track selection was fairly good. The mixes were simple, coming in and out of tracks in about 16 bars or so. He was a little "flamoyant" with the use of the effects on the mixing board and got somewhat ear-piercing at times on the filter. The mixes were definately tight and he gets brownie points for sportsmanship jammin' out to the other DJ's that were to follow. A good opening set for sure.

DJ #2, Jae Vynel was a huge disappointment in my book. The first five tracks were very poor, reminescent of what a soundtrack to "The LoveBoat" as some proclaimed or what electronic elevator music might sound like. The following 5 tracks shifted greatly in style to a more tribal influence which eased the pain a bit and finished off the last few mixes right where he started. From mix to mix, I felt there was not much flow between tracks...it didn't seem as though his set was very well thought out.

DJ #3, Candyman opened up his set with an intro piece talking about respect to all styles of music, etc. etc. etc. which I found both humorous and cool simultaneously...reeespect for that one. The set dug a little deeper and darker as it progressed...track selection was good. Technique in the mix was one of an amateur at times and a pro during other mixes. I noticed a lot of corrections with TT speed and was flirting with trainwrecks at times, no big derailments though! His use of the effects was for the most part pretty good, better than Johnny, I believe. I'd watch the use of the crossfader...he tended to get a bit bold in spots and became somewhat of a distraction a couple times. He gave off pretty good vibes throughout the set which I enjoyed, but, when having trouble in the mix, it showed in his body language as well.

Though I might have some difficulty choosing between Johnny and Candyman, I believe Johnny is a more mature DJ and just has some minor things to work out in order to be a rock-solid DJ...Round 1 goes to him.

Until the morrow,

FX

*why I wasn't asked to judge this bey'atch is a mystery!

The first DJ Johnny Ramirez - clearly stole the show last night. He had a nice high energy tribal-house (emphasis on the house) sound. Great mixing, nice track selection, and created a stellar mood in the club and really vibed off the crowd. He definately has a shot at winning, but he needs to take his time opening his sets - and not be in such a rush to bang out w/ the very first track.

Second DJ Vneyl- who everyone now affectionately refers to as the "Love Boat/elevator DJ." Snooze. He wasn't holding his mixes at all.....in and out on every track. His overall set sounded pretty monotone w/ very little variety. I found myself yawning throughout his entire set, even after downing 4 Red Bulls.

Lastly- DJ Candyland - his set was 'off beat' to say the least. He was experimenting a bit by tweaking the filters/sound, but it didn't translate well w/ the sound system at the club. Wasn't impressed w/ anything he was throwing down, however I only stayed for the first 30 minutes before bailing.

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

DJ #2, Jae Vynel

What kind of music was he spinning? Was it like the cooljunkies discription? Vocally deep house?

Vocals - Yes.

Deep - No.

The vocals were pure cheese. The track composition was pure cheese. Behold the power of cheese!!!!

Thanks for all the comments guys, and thanks for coming down lastnight.

Definitely some surprises in there - the crowd seemed to direct the style in a way, and it was interesting to see the difference when switching from CD to live mixes.

So far so good - we'll probably announce the winner of lastnight's heat later today.

Tonight's Contestants Are:

10.30 - 12

Michael Louis (Melodic Prog House & Breaks)

12 - 1.30

Joseph Anthony (Progressive House / Breaks)

1.30 - 3

Kiavi (House / Tribal)

Same time / Same place... See you there :dj:

just sneaking in to the board from work before I get busted again...all I gotta say is that as far as last night's DJ's...the first guy played best except for overusing the effects and also doing some guido fist pumping to his own shit.......but just by listening to the next two dj's, all I have to say I must say...(cooljunkie, I love you guys and all but this is just my opinion).....I cannot begin to comprehend why DJFX was not given a shot at the final nine considering that he submitted a great mix which incorporated breaks and house and all quite nicely put together in my opinion.....give FX a break! :hat:

from reading to post it appears that cooljunkie may have over look my man fx. i say let the winner on fri go up against fx...i will sneak out of the window for that one.. man i hope the post get better about tonights dj.....well good luck to all......