Clubplanet Nightlife Community

writing a screenplay 'bout clubs, need some info...

I'm writing a scene where some guy is trying to score some X. What is the most realistic way of depicting this event? What type of club would he go to? I was thinking of putting him at an Exit-like club where tons of sellers hang out, but if you have any special insight that could make the scene less generic, please let me know.

And would he likely get the real thing, or some aspirin? What is his likelihood for success?

Thanks,

Some NYU guy

Well, for starters, nobody's called it "X" since about 1997. The present vernacular would be "E" (or rolls in Florida). If you really want it to be realistic, have him get it in Washington Square park and then it turns out to be fake. 80% of the time people get pills through their friends, not at a club or anywhere else.....they'll just stop by a friend's house who has extras and buy it off of them. About 50% of the time, if they're not through friends, they're fake.

For decent statistics on that kind of stuff, check out www.dancesafe.org.

Not that many dealers really hang out in those clubs, partly because of tight security. However, usually when there are any, they look kind of candied out so it's not too hard to spot them. Once again, however, if people are going to be rolling at clubs, 95% of the time they'll bring in their own pills they already bought. The dealers in the clubs are just for backup in case they want more later....

Originally posted by chc214

I'm writing a scene where some guy is trying to score some X. What is the most realistic way of depicting this event? What type of club would he go to? I was thinking of putting him at an Exit-like club where tons of sellers hang out, but if you have any special insight that could make the scene less generic, please let me know.

And would he likely get the real thing, or some aspirin? What is his likelihood for success?

Thanks,

Some NYU guy

]

go research that shit yaself

there will not be much truth in the scene described by you unless you experience it yourself first. even if you get the 'first hand experience story,' it'll still be the copy of a copy and that's not good enough.

go and try to get it yourself. of course, you're running a risk, but that's how the real writers work.

you want realism? have some 25 year old dude who seems completely oblivious to the music walking through a crowd in which everyone else is dancing, putting his hand on every other dude's shoulder and quitely asking them if they need some "e, k, or acid".

thats realism.

good luck with the movie.

Originally posted by philo

there will not be much truth in the scene described by you unless you experience it yourself first. even if you get the 'first hand experience story,' it'll still be the copy of a copy and that's not good enough.

go and try to get it yourself. of course, you're running a risk, but that's how the real writers work.

Very true.

Seriously, I think they're giving you good advice to leave the scene out. I have tried to write screenplays myself (without much luck) and I have to say, if you haven't experienced it or write something from a place of truth (even if it's fantasy or scifi), it shows.

Just write around it, think of how YOU might get your hands on some (without actually doing it yourself).

Anyone remember back when it wasn't illegal?

:what:

Originally posted by prue

Seriously, I think they're giving you good advice to leave the scene out. I have tried to write screenplays myself (without much luck) and I have to say, if you haven't experienced it or write something from a place of truth (even if it's fantasy or scifi), it shows.

Just write around it, think of how YOU might get your hands on some (without actually doing it yourself).

Anyone remember back when it wasn't illegal?

:what:

I potentially disagree. While its always difficult to write, I know that NYU has a really good film department and that's what a lot of people (including a bunch of my friends) are there for. Good bet might be to find some candy kids around the school and ask them (it's not as if they're hard to find).

Either way, it's weird trying to find drugs in clubs. I personally haven't too much, but 2 or 3 times a night (especially if I'm wearing "raver" clothing) I'll have people walk up to me either trying to sell me drugs, or more likely, asking if I have any to sell them. Realistically, the character would have to try at least 5 people before s/he found someone who was actually selling. I have an amusing anecdote that might work well into a movie (especially if it's having a little bit of humor in it), but it involves someone who used to be on this board so I'll send it to you in a PM...

It's not that integral to the story. I just wanted a basic understanding of what goes on, and I already have it thanks to a couple of PM's.
It's okay, bro. Thanks for the advice but I'm not going to let the failure of those who went before me dictate what I'm willing to or not to try. :) No offense.

Originally posted by dirtyepic18

you want realism? have some 25 year old dude who seems completely oblivious to the music walking through a crowd in which everyone else is dancing, putting his hand on every other dude's shoulder and quitely asking them if they need some "e, k, or acid".

thats realism.

good luck with the movie.

Holy Shit! Where are u gettin offered Acid in this city? Its been pretty dry for the last year or 2