Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Open Turntables

djobby

Hello everyone,

I am somewhat new to this message board and from the little I have seen it looks like it should be a fun one. I noticed that one of the major topics discussed is who should be the next Space Patio Resident. I for one think that the decision should be left to the club visitors. I know we have allot of old schoolers on this site who can appreciate the days when turntables were assigned to many and not just one individual. I personally would rather spend my Sunday morning in bed with a fine female but also know that it is up to us, the local DJ's to provide music to the masses. Being at midnight or being at 10:00am. To avoid any arguments wouldn't it be better to have an "Open Turntable" night and let the listeners decide who they want to spend money listening to?

Call me old school but it is just a thought. May be a challenge too.

Peace to all,

Obby

SOTU Records

PS: Phrankadelic........where's my CD? Not many have the underground sounds that you have. Keep up the great work.

obby, as much as it sounds good...open turntables really don't fly down here. do you really think that space would allow this to happen? i don't think so. maybe smaller clubs/bars would think about this...but mainly as a during the week thing. most places are wrapped up in politics and stick to their guns when it comes to letting anyone on the decks.

there's a certain sound that the patio should stick by. plain and simple. dhm can rock it. but i wouldn't make them residents. i'd have them like twice a month. keep it fresh. bring in more talent for the patio. from out of town. not many have the sound to set the atmosphere in the patio down here. but there are some if space is willing to take the chance. shit i'd throw my name in the hat.

obby - i need to pass by your crib to take care of that cd. u have everything setup?

Well it all comes down to that then. SOMEONE...hint...hint.............should take a chance.

He who is afraid of failure is afraid to succeed.

In regards to me having everything set up. The only thing that is missing is you bro so feel to let me know when you want to pass by. My tables are yours also.

Peace,

Obby

Well, considering that no one can decide. Why not compete to make things more interesting. That would be a perfect oppertunity for Jimmy to show everyone his talent.

I also agree though. Jimmy T. should be one of the ones out there.

Respect given were deserved

Obby

Well, considering that no one can decide. Why not compete to make things more interesting. That would be a perfect oppertunity for Jimmy to show everyone his talent.

I also agree though. Jimmy T. should be one of the ones out there.

Respect given were deserved

Obby

I personally think he is good. Just like you my friend. It's obvious that the person who posted that comment is a friend of his. I am sure you would do the same for me.

It's all good.

Send me you new contact #'s to my personal e-mail o we can make plans for the weekend (recording)

Originally posted by phrankadelic

well i've never heard jimmy before and i'm sure a lot haven't. so he's not the obvious choice (no knock on him).

alot of people have heard Jimmy spin...and he has spun before at the patio and rocked it....he had that place jumping before Roly got on....He opened for Roly when Tiesto was last at space (rocked the Patio), he opened for Roly (yet again) when Mario Debellis was at Space and he spun on the Patio this past New Years Eve (and guess what? that patio was stuffed and bumping)...his style fits perfectly with the patio....

ps

btw when was the last time u went to Space to see anyone Frank?:tongue:

jesse, my post in no way was the knock jimmy. i've heard nothing but good things about him and his sets/music. and i had no idea that he had already done sets on the patio.

my point is is that not everyone knows how jimmy spins, i spin or a lot of the other locals spin. shit my grandmother can tear it up on the decks...but she's obviously not the choice either. ;)

and to answer your question...i can't even remember the last time i went to space. so what do i know right? :tongue:

Originally posted by phrankadelic

jesse, my post in no way was the knock jimmy. i've heard nothing but good things about him and his sets/music.

my point is is that not everyone knows how jimmy spins,

and to answer your question...i can't even remember the last time i went to space. so what do i know right?:tongue:

i know u werent knocking him...and i am not knocking u...both of u are expectional DJs....dont take my post in a neg. way, just as many shouldnt take urs negatively...all i hear is good stuff about u, but yet i dont see a cd from u (hint hint :tongue: ), obby knows the both of u- - so maybe obby, u and jimmy should get together and make something....hopefully both of u get a chance to spin together....i am just saying no one should sign the both of u off....speaking of cds...danny, where is that cd?:tongue:

ps

maybe Biz can help u about getting out to Space more often...although the way the bouncers treat their patrons isnt helping much:rolleyes:

as a side note:

your Grandmother would do better on the patio than Bellini....;)

Phrank,

Trust me bro, you know more than many. Just because you have not visited Space for a while does not mean that you are outdated. I am sure you have your reason why you have not gone (I know why).

About your Grandmother, is she still spinning on phonographs?

: )

Sup T,

Being that I was supposed to meet up with you moths ago. Your place sounds good. Beside, you have the mixer I love so just let me know what time you guys plan on meeting up and we will put our sounds together. I have your # so I will call you up.

Phrank, swing by my house Saturday moring and we will get you on CD.....................Finally

Peace,

Obby

Who gets to play when? Its a different story when you have the crowd there the whole time, but that never works. The guys that play during the lulls, when the crowd isn't peaking, lose out usually in the outcome. Personally I don't know too many of you who posted here but usually people asking for a sucessfull club to do an open turntable night are just looking to break into the scene, DJ's need to concentrate on smaller venues, create their own scene first- Pay Your Dues- then you can market yourself to jobs at better venues. Most bedroom djs complain that they are better than other jocks, thats not the way to get hired. And if you are "better" its because you spend all your time practicing while other jocks are out working. Just my 2 cents.

PS. Personally I enjoyed hearing Ivano Bellini on the Patio, but that was during the winter 2000-2001. Then again, the Patio would be good no matter who plays- its the crowd that makes the patio! How many of you walk into a room at a club and before even knowing who the dj is or what he is playing, leave because the room or patio is empty? HMMMM, just something to think about. I've seen it happen a million times and I've seen packed rooms that stay packed even though the music is just average.

House Music All Night Long

Originally posted by thepulse

Then again, the Patio would be good no matter who plays- its the crowd that makes the patio! How many of you walk into a room at a club and before even knowing who the dj is or what he is playing, leave because the room or patio is empty?

That crowd blows.

They know absolutely shit about music, hence the reason they enjoy Ivano every week. They worry about how much coke they snorted the night before, what decent of Latin/Spanish you are, and what your wearing at 9 a.m.

Your right I definetely agree, that crowd makes that patio, thats why that patio fucking sucks.

Originally posted by mikeydny

That crowd blows.

They know absolutely shit about music, hence the reason they enjoy Ivano every week. They worry about how much coke they snorted the night before, what decent of Latin/Spanish you are, and what your wearing at 9 a.m.

Your right I definetely agree, that crowd makes that patio, thats why that patio fucking sucks.

i totally agree mikey

once they shut the main room at space im gone

i do one round on the patio try to grab the last decent lookin girl if there even is one and im out

u want a vibe go to sound factory afterhours

noplace in the world compares

i understand why people think the patio is cool but thats only cause they havent had a taste of anything better

I remember the patio being pretty good during winter 2000-2001, the crowd was good, and actually was really cool hanging with a lot of club staffers after they got off from work on the beach. But I guess all things have to end. As for the people doing coke thing, what would Miami be without it, its not my drug of choice, but hey its not a bad thing.

Originally posted by djobby

I totally agree with you guys.

Sad but true.

I myself will be in NY Sept 18th through the 23rd. Any suggestions?

Vinyl shops will help also.

Vinyl, SF, check out some other places like Shine and Centro thursday night.

Find out where Sattelitte records is, dont know what street its on, I can find out for you if u would like.

Originally posted by djobby

I myself will be in NY Sept 18th through the 23rd. Any suggestions?

Vinyl shops will help also.

i heard Subliminal Records use to have a party at Centro-fly on Thurs., i heard it got moved to Shelter...Fridays check out the lounges before u go out (filter 14) then try to check out Vinyl (Arc) for Danny T....

Records shops - - Satellite Records (if u have alot of time) is in the village (i dont remember, exactly where it was) and Eightball Records is pretty good too....:D

If your looking for house check out Dance Tracks as well, 3rd st and 1st ave. And for Imports check out Dekadance, my personal favorite. I believe its still on 23rd by 6th ave, if not information can help. Also if you are at Dance Tracks be sure to mosey down the block to Beyond Bass, Johnny Vicious's store, some really nice stuff in there.