Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Wondering. . .

If you want to, I have some spare time, I'll teach you to spin vinyl. Send me a PM (your box is full). I don't use cd mixers, don't own them, I may eventually buy one, but the true art form is Vinyl. Cds I use in the club when I don't have it on vinyl. Once you learn on vinyl the transition to cd isn't hard, cds are different and have their advantages, but for me vinyl is it.

Originally posted by ibclubbin

dont you have to know something about music to be a dj?:confused: i mean, if you rely on Saleen for DJ advice too youll be spinning a tech track into a trance track into a mainstream track all night:laugh:

BG

What are you talking about. . .get a clue before you post, and if you have a prob with what I said shoot me an IM @ Lpic19 :D

i agree got to spin vinyl. Dont think the digital pimps are real DJ's kinda takes away from the art to me although i am buying some decks in a few weeks. Have to go along with the times but will probably always use mostly vinyl.

As far as knowing something about music yes but weather its tech or tribal or whatever isnt as important as weather its an 8 beat count a 16 beat count and so on ( kinda played bass drums for about 10 yrs and a lil keyboards before selling it all to buy turntables)

Originally posted by thepulse

You need to love music, be able to read people and you have to have alot of HEART. or else, stick to the dancefloor.

very true but you need to be able to do a lot more than that

and as far as spinning vinyl, just cause you do doesnt mean anything...ive spun at parties with kids who showed up with crates of vinyl and couldnt keep two beats together for 4 beats..pathetic

you have to have an ear for music, to be able to judge tempo, rhythm, and not only to hear it but also to be able to translate what you hear to the music...in other words your hands become your ears and you move them to keep the beats in time

- you have to be able to spot beats slipping immediately and learn how to control them before they become a total train wreck

- you have to learn how to control the crowd according to BPM, and energy wise...many tracks of the same bpm have completely different energy levels

- dont fuck around with accapellas and trying to "work" tracks....dont be a JP clone until you can successfully go an entire night without wrecking once...too many kids want to run marathons before they can even crawl:rolleyes:

BG

and as far as spinning vinyl, just cause you do doesnt mean anything...ive spun at parties with kids who showed up with crates of vinyl and couldnt keep two beats together for 4 beats..pathetic

you have to have an ear for music, to be able to judge tempo, rhythm, and not only to hear it but also to be able to translate what you hear to the music...in other words your hands become your ears and you move them to keep the beats in time

- you have to be able to spot beats slipping immediately and learn how to control them before they become a total train wreck

- you have to learn how to control the crowd according to BPM, and energy wise...many tracks of the same bpm have completely different energy levels

- dont fuck around with accapellas and trying to "work" tracks....dont be a JP clone until you can successfully go an entire night without wrecking once...too many kids want to run marathons before they can even crawl:rolleyes:

BG

WERD UP!!!!!!!!

BG

And the Truth Shall Set you Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Originally posted by binoys

And the Truth Shall Set you Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:D

but seriously, in my eyes, its better to be a DigiDJ who is on point all night than a vinyl DJ who cant mix for shit....

obviously someone who spins vinyl well is better than both;)

BG

:D

but seriously, in my eyes, its better to be a DigiDJ who is on point all night than a vinyl DJ who cant mix for shit....

obviously someone who spins vinyl well is better than both;)

BG

my thoughts exactly.....i would much rather spin cd's and move the crowd than spin vinyl and sound like shit.

Originally posted by laurie619

Here I thought that they are friends. . I guess its comes down to business, they are all are trying to cover there own asses... Wow, at least I learned something new today Thanks guys. . ;)

I know that some of them are friends....and I know they dont dicuss what they are going to play...each dj may have certain songs that are a given that they will play through a set but they can always do it differently, i.e. - running an accapella over a certain song or looping certain vocals or beats. At least as far as my observations go, thats what I see...

A trainwreck is a trainwreck if you can't spin with vinyl, you can't spin cds, and vice versa, unless you get one of those digital set ups that matches beats for you(If you do you're a fag and don't deserve to be in any booth). CDs are great for some things, I just prefer vinyl, I probably do a 80/20% split during a typical set. I personally prefer the way vinyl sounds, its much warmer sounding than cd. Its just a personal preference.

i agree with pulse. my opinion is unless someone was a big name and they walked into my club w all CDs id be like " youre kidding right" thats me personally.

Also think some DJs might be friends but just because people DJ doesnt mean they are. they might see eachother around here or there but think about it most of them are working the same nights different places so im sure they rarely see one another. Plus why give away anything its all competition. Why give up your edge so someone else can use it