Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Opie & Anthony FIRED!

AKK! That sucks.

Click this link for a story :)

WNEW Dumps Opie And Anthony

Radio Station Fires Shock Jocks After St. Patrick's Stunt

Aug 22, 2002 4:40 pm US/Eastern

(CBS)-(NEW YORK)-WNEW-FM has issued the following press release:

Based on recent events, The Opie and Anthony Show has been cancelled, and will be replaced by other programming beginning tomorrow.

Westwood One, Opie and Anthony's syndicator has also cancelled the program. The program aired on 18 stations across the country.

Also on Thursday, the top U.S. communications regulator ordered an investigation into complaints that the shock jocks allegedly broadcast a live, eyewitness account of a couple having sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral. This report lead to today's cancellation.

A Virginia couple was arrested Aug. 15 after allegedly having sex in a vestibule just a few feet from worshippers in the landmark Manhattan church. The encounter was described as it happened during the "Opie and Anthony" show, WNEW-FM radio's popular drive-time program that stations around the United States carry.

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell directed the agency's enforcement bureau to begin an investigation immediately, spokesman David Fiske said.

If the FCC finds that a station violated federal indecency laws, the penalty is typically a fine ranging from $5,000 to $30,000, Fiske said. The amount can be higher depending on the case, he said.

The broadcast was part of a regular feature on the program where couples can win prizes for having sex in risky places. The couple's attorney has said they were just simulating sex.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps has said he received hundreds of outraged phone calls and e-mails about the broadcast. He said the agency should consider revoking the station's license.

Opie and Anthony have attracted controversy in recent years.

Westchester County, N.Y., officials last year pulled an ad for a radio show from 40 county buses dominated by the word "WOW" after they learned that the acronym stood for "Whip 'em Out Wednesday" and is meant to urge women to bare their breasts. Westchester's views were not shared by the MTA or New Jersey Transit, as WNEW's "WOW" ads did appear on their stations, buses and trains.

In 1998, Opie and Anthony were fired from a Massachusetts station after announcing on April Fool's Day that Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino had died in a car crash in Florida.

Damn, this really sux! They were starting to get huge with being syndicated through out the country. It won't be too long b4 they get back on the air, I hope.:worry: These guys brought the term "shock radio" a new meaning. Wheather you loved them or were offended by them, they were still great for radio. They pushed things to the limit and gave thousands of people something to look foward to on their drive home. This can be backed up by the ratings not only here in NYC, but through out the country. They also have a huge following which I'm sure will all show up for the rally, and show their support for O&A.

Thanks for the great radio and hope to hear some more O&A debauchery sometime real soon.

"crinkle crinkle";)

Guest gabo

O & A were the best thing to listen to on my way to work. How can you not laugh when you hear that show!?

people must think I am nuts cause I am laughing so hard as I am driving.

I am sure theyll be back in ny... just a different radio station... wait till the dust settles

i find it unbelievable that they were fired. they were the best thing going on talk radio. no one could touch them. they pushed everything to the edge and made everyone laugh. they should not have been fired for this. they never made that couple have sex in church; it was there choice. o & a only gave options on where to have sex. it is ultimately the choice of the couples where they did it. priest are fuking young boys all the time in the church and out and o & a get fired for someone else have a quickie in there...bullshit:mad: they better be back somewhere soon. i will go insane on my ride home if they're not on soon. i need to laugh after i leave my depressing hellhole of a job

Originally posted by fkornre

i find it unbelievable that they were fired. they were the best thing going on talk radio. no one could touch them. they pushed everything to the edge and made everyone laugh. they should not have been fired for this. they never made that couple have sex in church; it was there choice. o & a only gave options on where to have sex. it is ultimately the choice of the couples where they did it. priest are fuking young boys all the time in the church and out and o & a get fired for someone else have a quickie in there...bullshit:mad: they better be back somewhere soon. i will go insane on my ride home if they're not on soon. i need to laugh after i leave my depressing hellhole of a job

this is one of the more retarded things i've ever read. if you meant to say "why should they get fired for someone else having sex? they didn't have sex in the church" that's fine.

but what does this have to do with priests exactly? and you may have noticed that priests don't broadcast their sex over the air waves.

this has nothing to do with the fact that these people had sex, it only has to do with the broadcasting of indescent material over the airwaves which is a federal offense. now, if you want to say that this federal law is stupid, go right ahead.

personally, i couldn't give a shit what they broadcast, or whether people have sex in church. i'm not up early enough to listen to these guys...

They will be back...this is the second time they have been fired from a station. The first time they went on the air in Boston on April fools day with 'breaking news' that the mayor of Boston had been killed LOL!

This was strictly a business decision. The management of WNEW/Infinity had to make a decision- keep OandA on and face the fact that their license for WNEW might be taken away by the FCC- causing them to loose BILLIONS in lost revenue.

OR

Fire them, the public is happy, and now all the conservative catholics are telling to FCC to back off WNEW.

Now, for all the OandA fans out there, there are at least 2 other major radio networks that are most likely already in talks to get them back on the air. Clear Channel has Premeire Radio Networks, and WestWood One (which is technically a spin off of CBS/Viacom, but operates independently) will probably be looking for a loop hole to get them into a deal.

the only problem for those listeners around here is what station in NYC would put them on? Most are already running with a successfule, revenue generating format---with the exception of most of the Infinity stations...

only time will tell.

Bern