FOLEY SQUARE (Center Street between Worth and Duane, across from

Federal Courthouse, downtown Manhattan)

closest trains J.M,4,5,6 at Chambers Street/Brooklyn Bridge

=============================================

Senate bill 2633, the RAVE Act (Reducing Americans Vulnerability to

Ecstasy) is a vast expansion of existing "crack house" laws. If

passed, it will give police and the DEA the power to fine and

imprison event organizers, leaseholders, homeowners, and club

managers for the actions of their patrons or guests.

Although the preamble of the bill mentions ill-defined "raves", the

actual law may be applied to virtually any gathering of people with

music or entertainment. It is a flagrant violation of civil and

constitutional rights, and has the power to destroy our entire music

culture. Join Blackkat in front of the U.S. Courthouse and demand

that this bill is defeated!

FREE 100% legal and permitted

National Day of Action-simultaneous events in SF, DC, LA

w DJs

Adam X and Heather Heart (tag team)-(Sonic Groove)

Pow Pow (Blackkat)

ESE (Embedded/Def Jux)

Chrome (Blackkat)

and speakers:

Ethan Nadelmann (Executive Director, Drug Policy Alliance)

Norman Siegel (former President, NYCivil Liberties Union)

Jay Greco (Director, NYNORML, Libertarian candidate for Lieutenant

Governor)

Andy Gensler (Legalize Dancing NYC)

Tim Santamour (Director, DanceSafe)

Jason Fitzsimmons (Blackkat)

more TBA

loads of info, signups,voter registration tables

brought to you by Blackkat

www.blackkat.org

212-714-4987

for more info on RAVE Act check

www.emdef.org

www.DanceSafe.org

Originally posted by hoke

I love how those of us who have jobs -- the fully productive raver types that lawmakers want to pretend don't exist -- can't possibly make it out for this...

oh you mean like 3/4 of the partykid population? The "got a job or i'm going to school to better myself" group who uses parties as a means to relax and enjoy themselves, outside of their time where they help CONTRBUTE IMMENSELY to the society we live in?

Yeah...

funny how those 3/4 just completely vanish whenever lawmakers and parents groups start talking about "ravers"

i love how people impose their own strict sense of morality on others, becuase obviously though we aren't bothering anybody, the mere thought that we might be having fun and doing something they wouldn't, is enough for people to want to ban that, so that we can sit at home and watch Survivor or MTV or do some other equally mainstream colorless activity that's parent-approved, boring as fuck, and "safe".

fuck that. don't take my parties away.

Originally posted by cintron

oh you mean like 3/4 of the partykid population? The "got a job or i'm going to school to better myself" group who uses parties as a means to relax and enjoy themselves, outside of their time where they help CONTRBUTE IMMENSELY to the society we live in?

Yeah...

funny how those 3/4 just completely vanish whenever lawmakers and parents groups start talking about "ravers"

i love how people impose their own strict sense of morality on others, becuase obviously though we aren't bothering anybody, the mere thought that we might be having fun and doing something they wouldn't, is enough for people to want to ban that, so that we can sit at home and watch Survivor or MTV or do some other equally mainstream colorless activity that's parent-approved, boring as fuck, and "safe".

fuck that. don't take my parties away.

EXACTLY!!!

I would be at that protest if I could... :(

LM: I think people tend to ignore stickys... I bet this thread would get more views if it weren't sticky -- and we could bump it if it ever got off the front page.

If only we could ban the banners.

IT just goes to show how desperate and how clueless parents are....what the youth of america needs to do...in my opinion anyway is to educate and involve these parent activists in the very thing they want to ban....people are afraid of what they dont know....and kids rebel against their parents far too much...if we can all simply get togeather as family as friends...and "rave" togeather....everything would be alright :aright:

:flame:

Actually, the problem here is the fact that people generally don't understand what the far-reaching consequences of this law is.

The people who aren't reading this thread vs. the celebrities thread, let's say, are likely clubbers who sees the word "rave" and dismisses it as probably more of a candy/glowstick ban more than anything. In other words, it'd be inconsequential to them. I still think that many, if not most clubbers, have yet to bother to find out what this law is regarding. Why?... Because it's a "Rave" act.

Consider this, how many mainstrean "clubbers" would give a flying fuck if raves got screwed over? Now, erect a "Club" law, and you can be sure quite a few more heads would turn.

Then again, let's not forget that many clubs keeps the right palms greased to stay open anyhow. Or, they've the right clientele, so that whatever city it's in wouldn't dare shut it down. In the end, would, or should their patrons even care?

Reducing Americans Vulnerability to Ecstacy= Bollox

It looks like we will all be making like moles and heading back underground if this bill passes.

I see there also trying to make it a fedral crime to rent property to people who use medicnal weed.

Dam does cancer and AIDS patients, there nothing but evildoers.

I mean . . I hate to say it, but unfortunately this thing is probably gonna pass, then it's gonna get knocked down because it'll be considered unconstitutional . .

. . I'd love to be able to go to this thing, but unfortunately, I'll be down on the Island for a family get together at the time . . .

Originally posted by phuturephunk

I mean . . I hate to say it, but unfortunately this thing is probably gonna pass, then it's gonna get knocked down because it'll be considered unconstitutional . .

. . I'd love to be able to go to this thing, but unfortunately, I'll be down on the Island for a family get together at the time . . .

well, i agree with atleast half your statement... that it does have a strong possibiity of passing... but assuming it did pass, i would very much doubt it ever being ruled unconstitutional.

with what i know about other controversal bills (such as the DMCA), the government hates ever admitting it was wrong in passing a law. if it can pass, then generally you cant do much about it.

the key is to stop it before it passes.