Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Yugoslavia Beats The Us!! Woo Hooooo

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

its kinda tough..u gota b from the region to b able to differentiate....but for the most part the last names that end in IC r serbian....but there r some exceptions..like Vlade Divac...hes serbian but his last name doesnt end in an IC...its tough G eheh

isnt more along the lines of vic generally serb cause my last name is cic and I know a lot of Croats that are cic.

Not to take anything away from Yugo, but the game would not have been close if these players were there. What I cant believe is that these players with not put on the national colors and play for their country - I find it disgusting.
I really can't blame them for not playing. The NBA schedule is arguably the most grueling in professional sports and except for a couple of the players you listed, most were playing late into the post-season. These guys make their livings playing for the NBA so they should probably save their bodies for the season, rest up, and spend some time with their families.

It was unreasonable to think that the US would remain undefeated until the end of time, it's good to get the first two losses out of the way. With the US's best players the US would NEVER lose, but how important is that really? I don't mean to offend but it's not like the US is like other countries where everybody lives and dies by a national team. I had no idea the US was even playing internationally until I heard about the losses, and I don't think I'm exceptional. Most people simply don't give a fuck.

Originally posted by chc214

I really can't blame them for not playing. The NBA schedule is arguably the most grueling in professional sports and except for a couple of the players you listed, most were playing late into the post-season. These guys make their livings playing for the NBA so they should probably save their bodies for the season, rest up, and spend some time with their families.

It was unreasonable to think that the US would remain undefeated until the end of time, it's good to get the first two losses out of the way. With the US's best players the US would NEVER lose, but how important is that really? I don't mean to offend but it's not like the US is like other countries where everybody lives and dies by a national team. I had no idea the US was even playing internationally until I heard about the losses, and I don't think I'm exceptional. Most people simply don't give a fuck.

Grueling schedule??????

It is the easiest sport to be a professional........

They play ever two or three days for 48 minutes with limited physical contact. The only sport that has less contact is baseball.....but they play twice as many games and play in the dead of summer almost every day.

I dont want to argue about this, but they have over three months off and they get paid a lot of money, plus it's a game. Most people go to work everyday - 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and get a two week vacation and make peanuts compared to what they make. I think considering everything that has happened in the past year and the fact that you got US soldiers risking their lives in Afghanistan, that putting a US jersey on should be the least they can do. How about some pride in their country and the honor of wearing an american jersey.

word cro...i agree 100%...

but about the last name thing..its the IC thing...thats how u know someone is from our region..theres a lot of croats with IC in their last name...i can differentiate who is who just by hearin the name..but thats just from mad exposure to both ppl

It is the easiest sport to be a professional........
You may have just wrote this to make a point, but aside from the fact that basketball isn't, this comment is impossible to qualify.

Baseball can't compare to basketball in the physicality department. Consider: If your team is up, mostly you're sitting in the dugout, or maybe standing at a base. Everybody, starters included, are be sitting down, chewing, talking shit, doing nothing, anywhere from 40% to 60% of the game. In basketball, if you're playing, you're at least standing whether or not you're in offensive or defensive mode.

If you're not batting in baseball you're mostly standing in the field, the ball is in play for only a few seconds of every minute played. Again, you're standing, playing with your cock, spitting, and doing nothing. In basketball you at least have to hustle across the length of the court whenever the other team gets the ball, or when your team gets the ball.

Compare the body fat of basketball players and soccer players to that of the average baseball player. Sports that require lots of running will only allow the fittest athletes to succeed. You will not see a fat striker in soccer and there are very few even chubby basketball players.

Running = physically grueling. Basketball has a lot of running in it. Baseball doesn't. Baseball teams play double and even triple headers. Basketball players don't.

And as for the people playing for the US team... Maybe those dudes would rather spend time with their 8 kids.

Excuse me while I go cry for grown men getting paid millions for playing a childs' game. C'mon now, neither baseball nor basketball is a hard job compared to what the average construction worker or policeman has to do on a daily basis.

Joe

You may have just wrote this to make a point, but aside from the fact that basketball isn't, this comment is impossible to qualify.

Baseball can't compare to basketball in the physicality department. Consider: If your team is up, mostly you're sitting in the dugout, or maybe standing at a base. Everybody, starters included, are be sitting down, chewing, talking shit, doing nothing, anywhere from 40% to 60% of the game. In basketball, if you're playing, you're at least standing whether or not you're in offensive or defensive mode.

If you're not batting in baseball you're mostly standing in the field, the ball is in play for only a few seconds of every minute played. Again, you're standing, playing with your cock, spitting, and doing nothing. In basketball you at least have to hustle across the length of the court whenever the other team gets the ball, or when your team gets the ball.

Compare the body fat of basketball players and soccer players to that of the average baseball player. Sports that require lots of running will only allow the fittest athletes to succeed. You will not see a fat striker in soccer and there are very few even chubby basketball players.

Running = physically grueling. Basketball has a lot of running in it. Baseball doesn't. Baseball teams play double and even triple headers. Basketball players don't.

And as for the people playing for the US team... Maybe those dudes would rather spend time with their 8 kids.

Excuse me while I go cry for grown men getting paid millions for playing a childs' game. C'mon now, neither baseball nor basketball is a hard job compared to what the average construction worker or policeman has to do on a daily basis.

Joe

This would be a totally different topic. (You'll be crying all by yourself.)

But just for the fuck of it... A construction worker's job is much tougher than that of a cops', though less dangerous.

Being a surgeon is much tougher than working a subway toll-booth, but most people would consider the doctor much better off. Why? Money and creativity. One person sits in the toll booth and depending on where they're stationed and at what time, they may mostly be reading magazines, but is this the type of work people want? No. Most people would much rather have an interesting job that requires tons of effort than a job that takes no effort but is boring (like working the toll booth). Plus the doctor gets paid more, though not as much as a musician, though the doctors work is more "important" (saving lives, right?).

So, though I see your point about the cop, I think the average basketball player actually works harder than the average cop (remember that not every cop works in LA or NYC, some work in Buttfuck, AL, where they mostly cruise around doing jack shit). But since the basketball player is paid way more for doing something that most would consider fun, they're job is considered cushy. But lets not forget the work they put in to become good enough to go pro. You don't have to practive three hours a day and watch what you eat for ten years to become a cop. You may think that Michael Jordan just go lucky and shouldn't complain about anything but give him and other successful people some credit for having put the time in so that could arrive where they are now.

If you really want to "cry" for somebody who doesn't deserve it, cry for people who don't do shit because their parents are rich, or models who get paid for being born with freakish genes. Athletes at least have to put some work into it. Or maybe you just don't like sports or are resentful of anybody with fame and/or money.

Who knows.

You made a lot of good points, I was just mostly trying to put things in perspective alittle bit, since people were talking about 'which athletes have it hardest'. And many people put in all that effort into becoming a professional ballplayer and never make it, then again some guys also were in the right place at the right time or had a certain connection, and then guys like Jordan, who could have grown up in Molvaria and still would have made it. I think I was a bit resentful because of the recent strike threats that were going on in baseball. And the people who have it easy are heirs to fortunes...a la paris and nicky hilton, etc etc...

Joe

This would be a totally different topic. (You'll be crying all by yourself.)

But just for the fuck of it... A construction worker's job is much tougher than that of a cops', though less dangerous.

Being a surgeon is much tougher than working a subway toll-booth, but most people would consider the doctor much better off. Why? Money and creativity. One person sits in the toll booth and depending on where they're stationed and at what time, they may mostly be reading magazines, but is this the type of work people want? No. Most people would much rather have an interesting job that requires tons of effort than a job that takes no effort but is boring (like working the toll booth). Plus the doctor gets paid more, though not as much as a musician, though the doctors work is more "important" (saving lives, right?).

So, though I see your point about the cop, I think the average basketball player actually works harder than the average cop (remember that not every cop works in LA or NYC, some work in Buttfuck, AL, where they mostly cruise around doing jack shit). But since the basketball player is paid way more for doing something that most would consider fun, they're job is considered cushy. But lets not forget the work they put in to become good enough to go pro. You don't have to practive three hours a day and watch what you eat for ten years to become a cop. You may think that Michael Jordan just go lucky and shouldn't complain about anything but give him and other successful people some credit for having put the time in so that could arrive where they are now.

If you really want to "cry" for somebody who doesn't deserve it, cry for people who don't do shit because their parents are rich, or models who get paid for being born with freakish genes. Athletes at least have to put some work into it. Or maybe you just don't like sports or are resentful of anybody with fame and/or money.

Who knows.

But lets not forget the work they put in to become good enough to go pro. You don't have to practive three hours a day and watch what you eat for ten years to become a cop. You may think that Michael Jordan just go lucky and shouldn't complain about anything but give him and other successful people some credit for having put the time in so that could arrive where they are now.

Practicing three hours a day basketball (it's a sport) and watching your weight really doesnt justify the money they make or their unwillingness to play for their country. Think of an electrical engineer who puts in all those years studying to get into college and then gets a degree. He/she designs the lighting system for any commercial building, every time a light goes on in that building, a service is done to overall community. The construction worker, the teacher, the fruits of their labor contribute more and continue to, well after they die. What does a basketball player do that is truly useful compared to every time you cross a bridge designed by an engineer and built by construction workers, and maintained by toll collectors - this benefit so much more than any basketball player and compare it to the cost - the individual cost of the average worker to average cost of the basketball player. Watching your weight and doing drills benefit no one but themselves while other people work to benefit everyone for fraction of the money they (basketball players) are paid. Plus the fact remains that there are special forces in Afghanistan risking their lives while Kobe Bryant does sprite commercials for millions and refuses to wear the colors of the Country that gives him the opportunity to make all that money.

Practicing three hours a day basketball (it's a sport) and watching your weight really doesnt justify the money they make or their unwillingness to play for their country.
This attitude is very much like that of a person who asks a celebrity for an autograph, is turned away, so proceeds to yell and scream at said celebrity. The autograph seeker fails to realize that he may be the hundreth person that day to have asked, that maybe the celebrity’s mom died that morning, or that, in general, that he has feelings like any other person and would like to perhaps be simply left alone. But he’s a celebrity, you say, it comes with the territory, so quit whining! Fine, fair enough. Let’s just say it’s justifiable for you to think that celebrities should be incredibly considerate of fans and it’s justified for a celebrity to want to lead something resembling a normal life where they’re not asked to be a monkey by every person who recognizes them on the street. Basic human rights should also apply to celebrities and rich people. I say if they don’t want to play for a game that means nothing to them or their country, then let them no play.
Think of an electrical engineer who puts in all those years studying to get into college and then gets a degree. He/she designs the lighting system for any commercial building, every time a light goes on in that building, a service is done to overall community.
Hopefully this person is getting paid for their efforts. If they’re donating their time and skills, then bless em. But if they’re doing it cuz it’s their job, then they’re just doing their job. I’m a little tired of people wanting special attention for simply doing what they’re paid or in some other way obligated to do. It’s like what Chris Rock said about guys who say “I’ve never been to jail!†You’re not supposed to ever go to jail, idiot, you want a damn cookie? If you have a job, do it well, and don’t expect people to always throw parades for you for doing what you’re supposed to do.
The construction worker, the teacher, the fruits of their labor contribute more and continue to, well after they die. What does a basketball player do that is truly useful compared to every time you cross a bridge designed by an engineer and built by construction workers, and maintained by toll collectors - this benefit so much more than any basketball player and compare it to the cost - the individual cost of the average worker to average cost of the basketball player.
What a construction worker builds in Buttfuck, Alabama mostly benefits the people of Buttfuck. You can’t take such a rigid pramatic stance on life. In case you haven’t noticed, a lot of people love sports. It brings a lot of people a level of happiness they don’t get anywhere else. My grandmother hates everything on TV except soap operas and baseball games. Tell her that the Detroit Tigers aren’t important. While construction worker collectively do contribute a lot, it’s ridiculous to compare then to athletes. It’s like comparing a mailman to Steven Spielberg. Who does more? Depends what you’re quantifying. Athletics, when monitored properly, is one of the purest forms of happiness there is. There’s nothing like participating in and watching sports. There are rules and for the most part people are expected to play by them; this is a refreshing change of pace to the crappy, random going-ons of regular 9 to 5 life. A lot of people live and die for their team, can’t wait for the season to start, rightly or wrongly to these people (and there are millions of them) sports are important.

And athletes get paid what they are for simple economic reasons, for no other reason. They generate billions so are paid millions. In case you haven’t noticed people in the US are paid according to how much money they themselves can generate. Recent CEO and stock bullshit aside, athletes, musicians, movie stars, and other highly paid people are paid a lot because they are “worth†a lot. Basically, if you think something isn’t worth the asking price, you don’t pay for it. If somebody was trying to charge you 10 bucks for an apple, you wouldn’t pay, right? That’s basically how it works. There are exceptions, but owners pay athletes a lot because they draw fans, sell jerseys, and adds value to the team. Simply, the owners are smart business men and wouldn’t pay an athlete a penny more than they’re worth. And don’t underestimate what a successful sports franchise can mean to a community. A professional team brings millions of dollars into the community. Hotels, small businesses, restaurants, the people employed by the team, parking lot attendants, etc., they all benefit from the team.

Watching your weight and doing drills benefit no one but themselves while other people work to benefit everyone for fraction of the money they (basketball players) are paid. Plus the fact remains that there are special forces in Afghanistan risking their lives while Kobe Bryant does sprite commercials for millions and refuses to wear the colors of the Country that gives him the opportunity to make all that money.
Again, it only “benefit no one but themselves†depending on how you see things. If bringing happiness to people’s lives and millions of dollars into the community means nothing, then you’re right. I wouldn’t live in a country without sports, but that’s just me. These guys “deserve†money they make considering they operate within the capitalist system. Special forces don’t make as much money because the US Military isn’t a for-profit organization. It doesn’t generate revenue. A basketball team generates hundreds of millions of dollars so it’s no wonder they would pay millions to its most valuable employees. Think carefully about what a basketball team does, how it generate income, and think about how important Kobe is to the LA Laker.

I understand the points you’re making but they’re mostly rhetorical ones. There are simple answers to all of your questions unless the questions are taken in a philosophical light, in which case why wouldn’t mothers, who give birth to each of us, be paid more than the founder of Microsoft? I mean, if it wasn’t for his mom, would Bill Gates even be alive?