Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question for the DJs

I'm of the opinion that when you learn the hard way.... you really learn. So, shitty equipment it is. Besides... if you just don't have the talent and give up quickly... your in deep a couple grand.

I started out in 1986 as a scratch dj with two JVC belt driven

turntables with pitch wheel. Oh My Fricken God!

Qwest.

Originally posted by sleepiswaste

:)

not too many threads i can reply to anymore on this board.

but playing with shitty tables helps in two ways...

1. the way you mentioned...and

2. why spend so much money on something..if your not 100% serious about it yet..

-z

werd, and to add to that.. when i was deciding what kind of decks to buy, i weighed out all the advantages and disadvantages..

ultimately, i chose the shitty decks(stanton str8 8-80's) for those reasons, as well as the fact that buying spending hundreds less on equipment, i had hundreds more to spend on VINYL...

Originally posted by sleepiswaste

not too many threads i can reply to anymore on this board.

-z

WHAT?!? you mean you're not interested in debating which CP girl has the best ass? or whether JP is getting fired? or what kind of car will get you laid? Come on Z, you love that Shit! your post count should be soaring!

(yeah, I'm slightly disenchanted myself)

i say go for them them techs and the vestax mixer...that is if you have the money.

I started out on numarks and still have them....they are way beyond shit...the pitch controler isnt that great..unlike on a pair of nice techs and plus if you get better you will want to buy a pair of nice TTs so buy the good ones now and learn, beucase if you perform at a club most of them already have good TTs in there

Learn with the best and dont waste the money and you will learn faster with better ones

Also if you dont plan on learning anymore/quit.....you can always sell good TTs and get your money back...but if you buy shitty ones they are just money wasted no one will buy them

Get the GOOD ones

A lot of people start out with shitty equipment unless they can afford top of the line stuff - I started with a Scratchmaster and 2 gemini tables and it was hard as hell to keep beats lined up on em - you should buy the 1200's because they can always be sold at a great price and are a must for anyone who is a DJ - Since I got my first set of tables free, it was fine for me but if you are going to buy just buy the 1200's because you'll wind up getting them eventually.

-Trancer:rolleyes:

Originally posted by trancer70

A lot of people start out with shitty equipment unless they can afford top of the line stuff - I started with a Scratchmaster and 2 gemini tables and it was hard as hell to keep beats lined up on em - you should buy the 1200's because they can always be sold at a great price and are a must for anyone who is a DJ - Since I got my first set of tables free, it was fine for me but if you are going to buy just buy the 1200's because you'll wind up getting them eventually.

-Trancer:rolleyes:

You fucking BIT off my name bro... ahhh i am trancer... get off my wave!!!

not the first to say it, but technics is all there is. everything else is shite. no point in spending the loot elsewhere, b/c you will end up getting the 1200s anyway down the line, and not be able to sell the piece of crap decks you bought to "save money" in the first place.

and.. fuck stagefright.. I wanna see dj lavmenace!

hey shannon...

remember when i came up to whackchester and played on petey's stantons, and had a little trouble at first but soon got accustomed to how much less torque they have than my techs?

yeah...

think about it.

learn on petey's stantons...

you'll be forced to ride that pitch slider like a pro,

cuz you just can't nudge the record, lest it slip around a lot.

... then you'll be fucking golden on any setup.

w0rd.

Shitty decks are fine to learn on just so long as they're not belt driven. I've never seen belt driven tables out at a club/lounge/etc, and they have a totally different feel than direct drives. As for the mixer, I'd recommend learning on at least a decent one. I'm personally having some troubles when I encounter "good" mixers (rotaries anyhow) because I learned on a straight up crossfader that didn't even have EQs on it.