Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DUMBO THIS THURSDAY?(Minimal techno/Berlin)

mugwump

Sorry I just couldn't stay

away from sharing this one..

(Even though I know something

like this willl only get the crickket replying)

Creative Time's 2002 fall music series departs from our seven-year legacy in the Brooklyn Bridge Anchorage and is set in a more intimate venue, a nineteenth-century former stable in DUMBO. Three evenings of live performances will showcase a range of innovative artistic developments within electronic and traditional music as well as multimedia, while also recognizing the historical genesis of these genres.

COOL!

Sounds good to me..

This Thursday I'm gonna go check out

some really minimal techno from BERLIN:

(Like the catz from POLE, Andrew Pekler,

Scion and Vainqueur & Substance)

Next Thursdays though they have

African-Based Performances

from New York and Experimental Music and Multimedia from Around the World (featuring a Live Collaborative Web Performance between Berlin & NY by Deadbeat vs. Monolake

among other shit..)

I love stuff like this..

Any one into the DUMBO THANG?

*Check it out:

http://www.creativetime.org/consumingplaces/music.html

Well I can dream can't I

Bug..I can dream that there are a few

"lurkers" reading CP that never go out

that go:

"Holy shit look at this..."

Then we could all meet and I could have MY OWN Little

CREW OF "ARTSY FARTSY-TRY TOO HARDS"

To hang out with..Go to Luxx, electro nights,

Break and wearhouse art-tech parties with..

I can dream can't I bug?

(Sigh)

Annyyy way;

Here's A little something on POLE

* taken fromDot music.com

It was the Easter of 1998 when an obscure blue record found it's way into British vinyl emporiums. An every day occurrence, you might think, since obscure records keep obsessive trainspotters wired, day in day out.

But once in a decade, once a career, something comes along that makes a leap forward. Juan Atkin's 'No UFO's', Miles Davis's 'The Birth of Cool' or DJ Shadow's 'Influx'. In so much as they exist, these are musical 'year dots'. Add to this list said 'obscure blue record.' It was Pole's 'Tanzen' and it sounded like King Tubby was flanging your mind.

Stefan Betke is Pole, and unlike certain heart stoppingly original records, Pole's 'Tanzen' didn't appear from out of the blue. But this makes it all the more important. For those of you not terminally obsessed with obscure underground Berlin techno labels, Pole's releases are so stunning because of their heritage. When he made 'Tanzen' and the accompanying 'Pole 1' album, Betke was loosely affiliated with one of the most underground, original and important collectives of the 90's: Basic Channel.

If you haven't heard of Basic Channel, there's a very good reason. They don't do interviews. They don't do press shots. And a global code of silence remains deafeningly intact. When he made 'Tanzen', Pole was the cutting engineer at Basic Channel's personal pressing plant. No wonder he knows his sound. When 'Tanzen' dropped it was the perfect mutation for the most virulent musical strain 90's techno had witnessed.

Two years later, and Pole's been working hard. We're sitting in a noisy corner of London's Dogstar venue, on the eve of the release of his lush third longplayer 'Pole 3'. Before he irradiated London's finest with a selection of classic reggae and his own brand of beyond-dub sounds, he took the time to explain why he's more into jazz, and how techno's stagnating but he doesn't have the answer.

When was your new album recorded?

I started recording it at the middle of October and I finished it in February. Most of the ideas were in my mind for the last year or so. They developed during my tour.

The album seems to incorporate new atmospheric sounds. It uses sampled voices in the background. Is this an influence from Music Concrete?

It's much more simple than that. I have these ear mic's. I just record where I am, that's it. When I came back into my studio I was thinking I needed something original - soundwise - in my music. 'What could it be?'

I was listening to these sound recordings. I had them playing at a low volume all the time in my studio. So sometimes you can hear them on the record and sometimes you can't.

It hasn't changed how I listen on a daily basis. It the noise you hear all day: it's just surrounding sound. You live in the middle of these sounds. I just want to reduce them to the minimum on my records.

I haven't worked out what, but there is a difference in 'Pole 3' from your previous two albums.

Maybe you should go find out... ha ha ha. No there isn't much of a difference, but there is a slight difference.

'Pole 2' had a lot less melodies than the first one. Was that deliberate?

That was right. The second one was definitely more straight, minimalist and focused than 'Pole 1'

Did working at Dubplate & Mastering affect how you make records or listen to sound?

To work as a mastering engineer develops and trains your ear really well. You learn to listen more precisely to what's wrong and what's right in a track, frequency wise. It's definitely trained me.

Where did you start making music?

It was fifteen to eighteen years ago. Pole is not the beginning. I started playing piano. But that was a long time ago.

What was your first record?

My first record was... something I really don't want to talk about. It was in a jazz-orientated-hip hop style at the beginning of the nineties.

When did you first encounter Basic Channel?

[pauses]... 1995.

How did you get the job at Dubplate & Mastering?

I got the job because I know someone who knows a guy from Basic Channel. That was four years ago

Do you think you learnt something from the way they deal with their output?

Don't misunderstand me but I don't want to talk too much about Basic Channel. There was this horrible rumour last year that I was involved with Basic Channel more than I actually was. Think about it - I was only the cutting engineer.

For sure, I was influenced by this kind of music but I was also influenced by John Zorn and Arto Lindsay or Richie Hawtin and Jeff Mills.

Equally I was influenced by Juan Atkins, Mike Ink and Thomas Brinkmann. As a producer, naturally I'm interested in what's going on in the music scene. I was influenced by Basic Channel but I don't put such an importance on them. It's only one part of my music.

For many people, who'd been listening to the Basic Channel releases, your first album seemed like a very important next step.

Yes that's right.

Was that step hard to do?

I was never in a position to think 'this is the next step.' You work on music by yourself and just develop it. Suddenly, maybe, your own intellectual position is the next step. But you can always talk about this later, but you can't see while you're doing it.

How do you see the current state of techno and who do you see as people who are pushing things forward?

This is really difficult because at the moment I think we are nearly in the same position that we were at the end of the 80's. There is no one who is really developing new music. Everything is stagnating a bit. It's still good, but there's not the necessary stuff around in my opinion. There are producers I like to listen to, but it's not the 'next step.' Personally I have no idea what the 'next step' could be.

But there's no next step for techno, from within techno. I think techno should open its mind and think about new influences. To change the strict ways how to make tracks, they should change completely how they work. Because techno is now so established, in the end it's not in any different position than rap.

Is finding the 'next step' something that haunts you?

It doesn't concern me. You never know about the next step. You can only find it when you work on music continually. Then you find it: it comes eventually.

What producers do you listen to?

At the moment not techno records. There's Gramm and Isolee, but these are not techno. They're only influenced. I like Vadislav Delay and also [his Scape label signings] Kit Clayton, Burnt Friedmann for sure ha ha ha...

How much do you feel you owe to dub producers like King Tubby, Lee Perry and Augustus Pablo?

So many people ask me about my relationship with these guys. I like dub music. I like ragga and they're definitely one of the most important influences in my music but I'm not trying to follow them like leaders. I like their music: that's it.

So what's next for Pole?

I'm working on new ideas at the moment, but I'm just happy I've done this album. It will probably be a year before a new Pole album. Maybe there might be a few 12"s.

What kind of sounds are an influence on you that people might not associate with the Pole sound?

At the moment I'm really into jazz-influenced music. And jazz too. Not Jazzanova, they're nice but for me that's not avant garde enough. I like people like the Cinematic Orchestra, Flanger or Atom Heart. I also like Brazilian and Cuban influenced sounds.

And then I switched the tape off, put the dictaphone away and turned to Pole and said: 'So, totally off the record, what is Maurizio [head of Basic Channel] like?'

Pole turned to me, looked me in the eyes and just laughed.

Of course if he'd answered, I'd never have said a word...

Martin Clark

Originally posted by mugwump

Sorry I just couldn't stay

away from sharing this one..

(Even though I know something

like this willl only get the crickket replying)

What are you talking about????

I actually heard about this a week ago and I am definitely planning on attending!

Do you know more specifics such as the time?

Originally posted by hotelie

Originally posted by mugwump

Do you know more specifics such as the time?

http://www.creativetime.org/consumingplaces/location.html

Thursday 9/19, 9 pm to 2 am - Live Minimal Techno from Berlin

POLE

Live Performance (~Scape, Mute, Luaka Bop)

The techno artist, Pole runs the acclaimed record label, ~Scape, which features his recent album POLE R. Pole is also currently working on a new album for Mute. He has spent the last two years evolving his live performances, which have been heralded around the world for their integration of dub, hip-hop, and minimal electronic music.

Andrew Pekler

Berlin

Live Performance (~Scape)

Andrew Pekler is a new ~Scape artist who has just released his first solo album, Station to Station, a wonderful piece of dub-jazz electronics. Pekler has previously released under the monikers Sad Rocket, Bergheim34, and Mucus2.

Scion

Berlin

Live Performance (Chain Reaction, Tresor)

Scion is René Löwe from Potsdam and Peter Kuschnereit from Berlin. Heavily influenced by the legendary Mark and Moritz from Hard Wax and Basic Channel, Scion started creating electronic music in 1990. Since Scion?s first independent release in 1996 on Chain Reaction, their music has developed into an open experimentation of chords, grooves, and sound structures which results in an atmospheric stereo sound sphere of house, techno, reggae, and dub. Scion will perform a live version of their recent Tresor release, Arrange and Process: Basic Channel Tracks, which is based upon the classic sounds of the seminal early Basic Channel label. This is a rare and emotive performance that should not be missed!

Vainqueur & Substance

Berlin

Tag-Team DJ Set (Chain Reaction)

Following their live performance as Scion, Rene Lowe (Vainqueur) and Peter Kuschnereit (Substance) will perform a tag-team DJ set mixing dub, reggae, house, and minimal techno with samples and beat structures.

09/26 - Live African-Based Performances from New York

10/03 - Live Experimental Music & Multimedia From Around the World

Mugz...we lurkers respect and love all that is mugwhumpian....just bad timeing and lack of financial status leaving us no options but lurking...so until things change....<<chirp>>

:flame:

But dont give up on us lurkers...we need the mugwhumpian light to lead the way or we shall ever be lost in pop hell.

Originally posted by gothzane

we need the mugwhumpian light to lead the way or we shall ever be lost in pop hell.

lol*

dear lord do I have to re-establish

"THE CHURCH OF MUGZ" again...?

See any of you that go there....

BUT BE WARNED!

This is reaaallly really minimal brainy shit

(So I don't hear about it later..

it's not a "dance" thing)