Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what's the deal with "sugar" in santa monica?

weyes

i've never been and have heard mixed reviews. i don't even know if it's the name of a night or the name of the place. all i know is that my roommate went there last night and said, verbatim, "i went to 'sugar' - sucks."

i asked him what kind of music was played and he just said, "the dj was like a teenager, or something. sucks."

can anyone elaborate on what type of music this might have been :confused: (the music that's played there on saturdays, or what's played at this club in general - something.)?

Sugar was sorta popular a couple of years back; I went a few times on Thursdays, when they had Bossa Nova (or was it Tuesdays??) Anyway, it's pretty enough, kinda pink with lucite stools, like a sleeker Beauty Bar. Different music every night, mostly housey but jungle and dnb too, depending. Haven't been there recently though.

lol...your roommate must not like really progressive house then.

pure is saturday nights on sugar which is josh abrams night, josh has done an amazing job with the talent he brings in, it truly is more of an underground vibe as you wont hear the typical banging prog tunes that you might hear at the bigger saturday night clubs.

the club has gotten better and better as well as the talent he brings in and josh abrams is an outstanding warm up.

not once have i heard the music suck in there, i know when i go there on saturdays im going to hear very quality prog house, sometimes even tribal house on a rare night!

:eek:

Here's the lowdown on Sugar.....

Sugar is the name of the club (with no signage on the building): 814 Broadway on the corner of Lincoln just north of the 10 freeway. The club has easy street parking and usually no lines.

TUESDAYS

$2 Tuesdays

With rotating resident DJs from Moontribe. John Kelley, Brian, Treavor, Petey & special guests import a little desert to the beach. Desert/tribal/percussive beats.

THURSDAYS

Thursdays: with DJs Jason Bentley, Jun, Dave Hernandez, Allen Voskanian and superstar guests spinning Phuture Soul, Leftfield Breaks, Deep House, Nu Step. $10 most nights. (09_19 was the Underworld Record Release Party)

FRIDAYS

Resident DJs Liza Richardson, Raul Campos, Kasey Goto, Valida and special guests spinning deep house and 2 step in a casual atmosphere with no 'velvet rope' attitude, just free-your-mind-and-your-ass-will-follow uptempo grooves. $5

Hope this information helps.

FOR FURTHER INFO on Sugar and updates, go to LaLate.com.

LaLate.com, info@lalate.com

Peace.