Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Seriously... wear your seat belts

nyis4meatheads

I was up in Maine on Saturday at a wedding. As is the case with Maine, cell phones are useless... so, driving back Sunday morning, when I get my phone to work, I get a message from my mom late Saturday night asking me to call home. This is weird to say the least. I called her up and she was crying... a very close friend of our family (my cousins' cousin) died on Saturday night in a car crash. The driver of the car ran a red light and was blindsided by a truck. The Explorer they were riding in flipped over, killing my friend. The other two passangers were all safe because they were wearing seat belts... she wasn't wearing hers. She was only 28. The whole thing could have been prevented if she was just wearing her seat belt.

As could be expected, the family was just in hysterics on Sunday. Seeing one family member after the next learn about what had happened... it was almost too much to bear. I've been in a complete fog since then. The wake was was unlike anything I've seen. Calling hours were at 4.. by 3:30 there was a line literally around the block, it was enormous, and it didin't slow down until past 9 (the wake was only supposed to go until 8).

Sorry for bringing this up on here, but I'm trying to find or do something positive in this whole mess. I figure if I can get my friends to wear their seatbelts as a result of what happened on Saturday, maybe that will help prevent having to see this whole thing happen again. So please, just wear one... it only takes two seconds. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for your friends and family.....

Originally posted by nyis4meatheads

I was up in Maine on Saturday at a wedding. As is the case with Maine, cell phones are useless... so, driving back Sunday morning, when I get my phone to work, I get a message from my mom late Saturday night asking me to call home. This is weird to say the least. I called her up and she was crying... a very close friend of our family (my cousins' cousin) died on Saturday night in a car crash. The driver of the car ran a red light and was blindsided by a truck. The Explorer they were riding in flipped over, killing my friend. The other two passangers were all safe because they were wearing seat belts... she wasn't wearing hers. She was only 28. The whole thing could have been prevented if she was just wearing her seat belt.

As could be expected, the family was just in hysterics on Sunday. Seeing one family member after the next learn about what had happened... it was almost too much to bear. I've been in a complete fog since then. The wake was was unlike anything I've seen. Calling hours were at 4.. by 3:30 there was a line literally around the block, it was enormous, and it didin't slow down until past 9 (the wake was only supposed to go until 8).

Sorry for bringing this up on here, but I'm trying to find or do something positive in this whole mess. I figure if I can get my friends to wear their seatbelts as a result of what happened on Saturday, maybe that will help prevent having to see this whole thing happen again. So please, just wear one... it only takes two seconds. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for your friends and family.....

Sorry to hear about your friend, it is always very, very important to wear your seatbelt... It's always very hard to lose someone your age, it really makes you see your own mortality. People always downplay wearing seat belts, saying "hey I'm a good driver why do I need to wear one"... But here the perfect example of why you should, OTHER PEOPLE ARE NOT ALWAYS GOOD DRIVERS!!!

Me, I always wear my seatbelt! Mike would kill me if I didn't. I started a few years ago when my grandfather used to yell at me, so I started and I think it actually saved my life once! I was in a horrible crash one night, I was driving when I slammed head on into a wall then came across and hit a guardrail head on totalling my car out and almost crushing my legs. But I got up and walked away from the accident, and I truly think it was only because I was wearing my seatbelt! So lesson here always wear your seat belt it can save your life, now that is all carry on kiddies!!!!