Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Paul Oakenfold........

Originally posted by mattm2o

Thats your opinion, hes not really my cup of tea either but you gotta respect a someone that has universal appeal and is broadaning the horizions of dance music!

"So Don't hate the player hate the game!"

Britney Spears has Universal appeal, Paul has bad music.

Playing on Z-100 is not my idea of "Broadening the horizons of dance music". It's taking a step backward, don't you think?

-iliana

;)

Originally posted by iliana

Britney Spears has Universal appeal, Paul has bad music.

Playing on Z-100 is not my idea of "Broadening the horizons of dance music". It's taking a step backward, don't you think?

-iliana

;)

No I don't think its a step backwards. For the reason that the music directors of Mainstream radio stations will now go and look at other dance music Producers ie; Deep Dish, Tenaglia, etc. And they will hopefully play their remixes.

Paul Oakenfolds new album "Bunka" is not typical dance music its more hip hop, alternative dance whatever, Just because its not chok-full-o-anthems dosent mean that he sucks, hes just trying to do something different! Nothung wrong with that.

We need mainstream radio, mtv, vh1 to pick up on the scene, there is no reason why the united states should not catch up with Europe! Im in the subuay in Barcelona this summer and their is a god damn billboard for Danny Tenaglia's "Back To Basics" CD!

Now Holy shit there is no reason we cant have that in NY

3/4 of this board complains about KTU and how they suck, but guess what there are no dance music stations outside NY, becides Miami (Power 96), Orlando (95.3 Party), and San Francisco (Wild 94.7) thats it on the dance music stations! We need the "SUPERSTAR" artists of the dance music community to make a radio friendly hit here and there......

And now my final thought (Very Jerry Springer)!!!

Thats great if you don't like that you don't like Southern Sun!

but..............

When I heared it played at Amnesia in Ibiza this summer I have to gove credit to anyone who can produce a track and get 25,000 people dancing!

So Bash me if u like that is my opinion and im sticking to it!

(If you have any radio questions or would like to prove me wrong about any of my radio comments feel free but I have to warn you I am an assistant music director of a radio station, and do part time work for a record label!)

No I don't think its a step backwards. For the reason that the music directors of Mainstream radio stations will now go and look at other dance music Producers ie; Deep Dish, Tenaglia, etc. And they will hopefully play their remixes.

Paul Oakenfolds new album "Bunka" is not typical dance music its more hip hop, alternative dance whatever, Just because its not chok-full-o-anthems dosent mean that he sucks, hes just trying to do something different! Nothung wrong with that.

We need mainstream radio, mtv, vh1 to pick up on the scene, there is no reason why the united states should not catch up with Europe! Im in the subuay in Barcelona this summer and their is a god damn billboard for Danny Tenaglia's "Back To Basics" CD!

Now Holy shit there is no reason we cant have that in NY

3/4 of this board complains about KTU and how they suck, but guess what there are no dance music stations outside NY, becides Miami (Power 96), Orlando (95.3 Party), and San Francisco (Wild 94.7) thats it on the dance music stations! We need the "SUPERSTAR" artists of the dance music community to make a radio friendly hit here and there......

That's were you're wrong.

1. "Mainstream" America will never accept REAL Techno, House, Trance, or any other type of electronic music because IT DOES NOT SELL TO A LARGE AUDIENCE. For the most part, KTU has a COMMERCIAL radio play and many people actually think that AMBER or Louie Devito's latest mix EPITOMIZES dance music.

Why do you want the "mainstream" to embrace more of our djs? I would be hesitant to have Danny Tenaglia's mixes playing on Z-100 for the simple fact that anything capitalized becomes demoralized, used and abused and packaged to suit corporate tastes. Southern Sun is a gross display of this.

I lived in London a couple of years ago, and their dance stations were NOTHING like our crappy stations. The mentality in Europe differs and the underground is kept sacred and always progresses. For some reason, in the states, that NEVER happens.

Back to Paul...ok, his album is not entirely "dance" so he still sucks..DOn't like his style. He belongs on Z-100.

-iliana

;)

Just cause he has music playing in our radio doestn mean he got commercial and stuff,, How about all the dj's that play and have there music on RADIO 1.. Are they commercial and sell outs,,,NOooooooooo.........So what if a Dj is playing on the Radio...All of our residents play on the radio,,,

HE paid his dues and got/gained the respect.

Originally posted by vsoto212

Just cause he has music playing in our radio doestn mean he got commercial and stuff,, How about all the dj's that play and have there music on RADIO 1.. Are they commercial and sell outs,,,NOooooooooo.........So what if a Dj is playing on the Radio...All of our residents play on the radio,,,

HE paid his dues and got/gained the respect.

numbskull

I did not compare American Rhythmic radio to European Dance Music Radio at all! Believe it or not the reason why we have stations that play "Dance Music" waterdown or not is because of the Gay Community. They spend more money on Electronic music than any other group.

I gaurantee if any other person produced southern sun you wouldnt have a problem with it, you may not like the song but you wouldnt have a problem with it!

Oakenfold you either like him or you don't but you dont have to be bitter about it!!

I don't really like him either but, again I gotta give credit where credit is due.

iliana you seem very bitter! I Feel 4 U

(If you have any radio questions or would like to prove me wrong about any of my radio comments feel free but I have to warn you I am an assistant music director of a radio station, and do part time work for a record label!)

In which case, you'll know that the following comment is completely wrong.

Believe it or not the reason why we have stations that play "Dance Music" waterdown or not is because of the Gay Community.

KTU isn't a real "dance" station. It's SPECIFICALLY programmed to target the 21-35 female group, which is their target market and they do a good job reaching it. However, the gay market is not around its focus. The gay population that's more in tune with the dance music community probably has a more detailed understanding of the dance music scene than your average female.

AND, Bunkka is not "different". Poppy-bassy-breaks have been done before. It's called Crystal-Method Lite. At best, Southern Sun's a KTU cheese track with breaks tacked on to it.

As for credibility, just because he has cred from way back in the days doesn't mean he didn't completely wreck it in the last few years. I'll be the first to acknowledge his accomplishments back in the days. Mad respect given, but his music now sucks.

This argument is way too old and stale.

Amnesia doesn't hold 25,000 people. I have no problem with Oakenfold though, he is jsut progressing in his personal tastes, nothing wrong with that at all. I saw him at perfecto at Pacha this summer, he was amazing. A lot of breaks trance.